• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nootropics, choline, alpha GPC, citicholine, piracetam

physicsstudent13

I've been trying nootropics for the bad brain fog I have from sleep apnea which seems to be central apnea. I've tried NAC alpha GPC, choline, sam-E, piracetam and now starting citicoline. Nothing has worked except maybe the sam-E or either tracheotomy gave me great clarity in the morning.
What helps is klonopin+gabapentin with the ventilator for sleep and that reduces the brain fog but I still feel exhausted and foggy.

adreno

PR activist
Modafinil has been shown to ameliorate cognitive impairment following sleep deprivation. I'd say that's your best bet.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@heapsreal, are there OTC things for nmda? We've discussed phenibut which is only good occasionally at high doses. Are there other things that do that that don't have addiction/tolerance problems?

physicsstudent13

I've heard that modafinil helps, I think there's already brain damage from the low oxygen and high AHI for years. on DTI MRI you get white tangles in the brain from sleep apnea.
I tended to think that modafinil was unnecessary since there were structural changes and damage in the brain and it seemed to be a stimulant like caffeine so I never took it.

Last edited:

zzz

@heapsreal, are there OTC things for nmda? We've discussed phenibut which is only good occasionally at high doses. Are there other things that do that that don't have addiction/tolerance problems?

Magnesium fits the bill perfectly here. There's even a special binding site on the NMDA receptor specifically for magnesium. Generally, oral supplements can't get you enough magnesium to make a huge difference; daily injections are the best. But those require a prescription; they're definitely not OTC. Fortunately, magnesium by nebulizer can be done completely OTC, and it ranks very near the injections in terms of effectiveness.

Magnesium by nebulizer is also very inexpensive; you can get a nebulizer here for $23, and you can get the form of magnesium that's suitable for nebulizing here at Amazon. One pound lasts over one year, so treatments cost less than a penny each.
I've heard that modafinil helps, I think there's already brain damage from the low oxygen and high AHI for years. on DTI MRI you get white tangles in the brain from sleep apnea.

@adreno has pointed out earlier in this thread the benefits of modafinil. However, modafinil is an NMDA agonist. In general, it's not going to help you sleep, although some people have found that if they take modafinil early in the day, it makes it easier to get to sleep at night. Others have found that modafinil causes insomnia for them.

physicsstudent13

Thanks very much! I have a bottle of chelated magnesium and calcium but I'm not sure how safe the nebulized salts are?
I was taking a lot of oral EDTA and started having tachycardia so I started taking calcium since there have been deaths from hypocalcemia.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7786695

I'm taking 2400mg a day of piracetam which is supposed to help hypoxia damage and increase O2 levels in the brain and O2 consumption in the brain but it doesn't seem to do much for the fog at least as far as having a noticeable effect. I also take aspirin which is an anticoagulant but I don't know if you should combine the two

I've also been taking b complex SC injections. I had to buy vetrinary brand injections for animals since I couldn't afford it. Maybe I could get my doctor to prescribe it

Last edited:

physicsstudent13

anyway I'm really suffering terribly, I've given up on using the ventilator sometimes and fall asleep without it and wake up damaged and with headaches and terrible fog and exhaustion. and I can't sleep the whole night on the ventilator I think because of high pressure settings. I can't even speak straight anymore and have brain damage from years of this so anything helpful would be greatly appreciated!!!

physicsstudent13

I've been trying ALCAR+caffeine, the caffeine is supposed to drive fatty acids out of cells and ALCAR facilitates cells from burning them as energy and ALCAR can cross the blood-brain barrier, but I still don't have that great clarity I had last year.
I'm not sure if it was the sam-E combined with something or the tracheotomy that helped

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I am sorry you are having such a tough time and that I have nothing to offer in the way of help. :( :hug:

physicsstudent13

I think my brain is foggy and damaged from repeated hypoxia from sleep apnea. maybe it is similar to a stroke? I've never had any improvement on citicoline or any other brain supplement like phophitadylserine, gingko or ALCAR. Even the alpha gpc doesn't seem to help much. I don't know if Sam-E does anything

Mainly it helps to sleep on klonopin+gabapentin but always with a cpap machine. On studies like in Spain they show on DTI MRI that the brain develops white lesions of brain damage from repeated hypoxia

Last edited: