• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

No Longer Naive in the Ways of The Beast

View the Post on the Blog

After having lived for years with ME/CFS, Jody Smith learned there's more to this beast of an illness than she realized, and that what might help one person may not help others ...

When I first got back online five years ago, I was naive in the ways of this beast we call ME/CFS. I guess I thought that whatever it was that I had was what you had ... what they had ... what that person laying on their face over there had ...

Turns out I couldn't have been more wrong.

I had been slowly recovering and I wanted so much to share what I learned with other people who were sick because then they would all get better too.

Yeah. Kind of naive.

I started supplying free articles on ME/CFS to EmpowHER, the women's health and wellness website I would go on to write and edit for full-time. The reception I received was so welcoming and encouraging, and writing about the things that I needed so badly to express was so therapeutic, that my words poured from fingertips to keyboard like rivers.

This led me to start my website Ncubator, as the torrents of words kept flowing for weeks and months. I met many amazing people online through Ncubator, EmpowHER, and then through Phoenix Rising after joining the forums. In my naïveté I would send emails full of the things that worked for me, expecting the same results to happen for the sick people I was writing to.

It was a shock to hear over and over that many of these things had already been tried without success.

As I mulled this over, I saw in a new light that this illness takes many different forms, and what works for one may not work for another, in fact it might make them sicker.

The low-carb diet that helped me so much was no good for a lot of people I talked to. Some couldn't handle meat or fat at all. Others did best with a more vegetarian or heavier carb approach that would have left me in the dust. Live and learn.

I'd have said I knew how enormous and daunting this monster illness was, but after this experience I was struck by the fact that if anything it was bigger and more malevolent than I had previously realized.

I also saw that as sick as I had been -- unable to think or communicate, unable to get out of bed, or use crippled hands and arms, or make my fingers work -- there were people who were sicker than I had ever been.

And as poor and as isolated as I had been, there were other folks who had less money, fewer resources and less help than I had had at my worst.

Some had no homes, due to financial reasons, others because their chemical sensitivities made it impossible to live inside. Some were too ill to go out of their homes, others were too sick to be able to go into one.

When my son Jesse got sick, most of the things that had helped me to creep towards health seemed to do nothing at all for him. His path has been slower and harder than mine was, despite the experience I'd already had for years before he fell ill.

I used to call ME/CFS my mystery disease, during the early years when I had no idea what I was dealing with or how to deal with it. Now I saw that no matter what I called it, this mystery disease presented itself in so many different forms, and responded -- or didn't respond -- in seemingly contradictory ways from one patient to another.

Mind you, there were other people who I talked with who did find relief through some of the things I suggested. I was always surprised and pleased when this would happen.

ME/CFS is a beast and seemingly a chameleon to boot. But we will beat it. We will continue to learn about this illness, ideally with help from scientists and doctors who are in our corner.

Maybe one day we'll even get help from some of the people in high places who have never been in our corner but who will eventually knuckle under to pressure to finally care for the sick. Hey. It could happen.

Meanwhile, we will continue to share our stories with each other, listen to each other, and pass on the things that help us heal, knowing that some of this will make a difference.

And even when the solutions have not been found for this person or that one, for this symptom or that, we will continue to be there for each other. Even when all we can say is that it sucks, and that we are thinking of them, we are making a difference for each other.

At least for those of us with the good fortune of being online, Phoenix Rising has been doing all of this, to the best of all our abilities as we try to make each others' lives better, as we try to lift the fear and the heavy weight of this beast of a disease. The isolation and loneliness, living outside the camp in the wilderness, is lessened, becomes easier to bear.

We may not always know what to suggest to a sick friend. In fact maybe most of the time we won't know what to suggest. But the fact that we care enough to try, and respond to each other with care and consideration, makes a difference. One that not too many years ago didn't exist for many of us. Including me. And probably including you.

Phoenix Rising is a registered 501 c.(3) non profit. We support ME/CFS and NEID patients through rigorous reporting, reliable information, effective advocacy and the provision of online services which empower patients and help them to cope with their isolation.

There are many ways you can help Phoenix Rising to continue its work. If you feel able to offer your time and talent, we could really use some more authors, proof-readers, fundraisers, technicians etc.

And don’t forget: you can always support our efforts at no cost to yourself as you shop online! To find out more, visit Phoenix Rising’s Donate page by clicking the button below.

View the Post on the Blog

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you @Jody.
I am in contact with many lyme sufferers, and they go through these difficulties.
Even small improvements can be a major victory.
and certainly the recognition of these diseases needs to be greatly improved, and the politics improved.
There is a major project planned over the next 12 months or so in the US.
Slowly, slowly we gain strength and get more medicos on our side.
http://www.actionlyme.org/
This is an All Groups Occupy: Chronic Fatigue, Autism Parents, Psych Rights advocates, Gulf War Illnesses, "Lyme Disease," Fibromyalgia

I would go so far as to say anew approach is needed for all, including cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular people etc.
Thank you all and regards

I'm sure those people you're in touch with are most grateful not to be alone in the dark.

Hi Jody
What has struck me from the beginning of this hideous journey is the implicit understanding that we have of each others pain.
How is it that the similarities overwhelm the differences?
Perhaps it is that we experience such diverse and confounding symptoms that we no longer buy into the simple picture painted by reductionist( poor) medical science.

We all have experienced the helpful soul who 'Knows' how we feel, and has several suggestions as to how we could recover, when Knowing is an exercise of power. Yet the understanding which arises for me is based on Knowledge which doesn't belong to me and given the state of my mind may be just passing through.

I work and one of the people I supervise has ME, I can tell how he is feeling at a glance, I know how it feels for me and guess it is the same for him; I 'witness' his experience and in that moment experience the profound chasm between us.

I tell him about what helped me and share some pills but he is the captain of his own vessel.

Coming down with ME stole a life, recovering meant building a new one, supporting someone through that territory is not what I would choose but not something I can turn away from.

Is this the exercise of compassion.

Compassion had been the core of my spiritual practice once long ago when the world seemed large enough to contain the ineffable. It shrank......but maybe I may find it again.

forgive the ramblings of an old fool

Meandthecat,

Not mere ramblings, and not an old fool.:)

I think one thing this illness has done for me is that I can more readily sense when someone is ill or suffering. And while I was always a pretty kind hearted sort, after my own sickness, it becomes paramount to do something if I can, I know how terrible the suffering can be. Tough way to get greater sensitivity but it is a good thing to have. I think many of us have had this "gift" given to them, and we feel compelled to spread it around, limited though we may be.

Thanks Jody for your reply. I have given up on medical help here in Tenerife and now successfully SKYPE with an excellent GP I came across on mainland Spain when we lived there 8 years ago. He is an English GP with an enlightened outlook and experienced with M.E and now lives i New Zealand. Thank God for the PC and the Internet and Skype!.

Thanks Jody for your reply. I have given up on medical help here in Tenerife and now successfully SKYPE with an excellent GP I came across on mainland Spain when we lived there 8 years ago. He is an English GP with an enlightened outlook and experienced with M.E and now lives i New Zealand. Thank God for the PC and the Internet and Skype!.

Thanks Lookinglass,

Where would we be without the internet? I hope you make great headway with your doctor.