• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Jekyll and Mr hyde

Would really appreciate some thoughts on whether or not this seems like CFS to you and what could be behind such a reaction...

Below is what I experience during a flare up. Once the flare up clears and I get over the residual depressed mental state, I'm fine.

Post Exertional Malaise (delayed onset of 1-2 days post-exertion) consisting of 3-4 days of:

-Burning paresthesias in the face, arms and legs
-Night sweats
-Myalgia
-Neuralgia
-Weak shaky legs
-Fatigue/Sickness behaviour
-Cognitive impairment (difficulty putting thoughts together)
-Emotional disregulation (depressed mood)

Last edited:
symptoms occur every time you exert yourself? Or is it sporadic?

I seem to have a threshold, like say I walk 10 blocks I probably won't trigger it but if I walk 15 blocks in one go then I probably will. It's not an exact science but it's pretty consistent. Needless to say I avoid exercise. Stress and lack of sleep can also act as triggers. Funny thing is that I haven't been sick in the 8 years I've had this but that just may be because I'm not working so I get lots of rest.

Have you been checked for adrenal problems? Does it happen after other stressors as well? ie after emotional, physical, or temperature stress?

Have you been checked for adrenal problems? Does it happen after other stressors as well? ie after emotional, physical, or temperature stress?

Stress and lack of sleep are triggers for me as well, yes. Not temperature afaik.

My TSH has been on a steady rise the last few years (from to 3.8 to 6.7 currently), still waiting on new T3/T4 results and cortisol as well. Will update.

Thyroid and adrenal issues often go hand in hand. I have experienced symptoms similar to what you posted due to adrenal issues. For me the stressors that crashed my adrenals were longstanding parasite and candida infections following massive amounts of antibiotics.

You might want to look over your history for significant stressors such as severe infections, intestinal issues, car accidents etc.

Thyroid and adrenal issues often go hand in hand. I have experienced symptoms similar to what you posted due to adrenal issues. For me the stressors that crashed my adrenals were longstanding parasite and candida infections following massive amounts of antibiotics.

You might want to look over your history for significant stressors such as severe infections, intestinal issues, car accidents etc.

Before this started 8 years ago, I experienced 4 months of acute physical and psychological stress due to living with a crazy roommate. After that I was unable to deal with stress at work and got burnt out shortly thereafter. It felt like I had fried my brain. My mental burnout segued into this flare up condition that I have now. So yeah thanks for the suggestion, it certainly seems like an avenue worth pursuing.

How are your adrenals faring nowadays?

cman89

Would really appreciate some thoughts on whether or not this seems like CFS to you and what could be behind such a reaction...

Below is what I experience during a flare up. Once the flare up clears and I get over the residual depressed mental state, I'm fine.

Post Exertional Malaise (delayed onset of 1-2 days post-exertion) consisting of 3-4 days of:

-Burning paresthesias in the face, arms and legs
-Night sweats
-Myalgia
-Neuralgia
-Weak shaky legs
-Fatigue/Sickness behaviour
-Cognitive impairment (difficulty putting thoughts together)
-Emotional disregulation (depressed mood)
It does sound more like adrenal problems than full blown cfs with the r return to normal you descRibe. I also have experience d similar issues especially with insomnia. Support the hormones as well you can.

It does sound more like adrenal problems than full blown cfs with the r return to normal you descRibe. I also have experience d similar issues especially with insomnia. Support the hormones as well you can.

Thx. I'll certainly investigate the possibility of adrenal issues.

My TSH is back to normal possibly due to me discontinuing opioids. I still need to check my cortisol levels.

As my condition affects mostly my nerves (presumably just the small nerve fibers as my nerve conduction test was normal), I think that my next step will be to get a skin biopsy. I was hesitant to go this route as neuropathies have underlying causes which the biopsy would not reveal. However, I think that knowing what kind of nerve damage is occurring might be diagnostically useful in helping to identity that underlying cause.

IMO my condition seems to me to be some kind of non-demyelinating inflammatory neuropathy possibly with an auto-immune condition as the underlying cause/trigger.