• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which test shows the PEMT SNP?

Peyt

Hi,
Recently I have started taking Choline and noticed great improvement.
I have read that Choline has a relationship to the PEMT SNP and am now curious to know if I have that mutation.
I am looking at the copy of my 23andme and Yasko genetic chart and neither have that SNP on it,

I had heard that there is a site that I can run my 23andme raw data and it will give me further snps (more than the 1 page I already got from geneticgene.com)

Any idea where I can find this?
Thanks so much,

Gondwanaland

You can look it up in your 23andMe data this gene or SNP: PEMT rs4646406

AA is the bad one. Tomorrow I will start some choline supplementation exactly with this purpose.

Peyt

Here is what shows on my 23andme:
COMT V158M rs4680 AA +/+
COMT H62H rs4633 TT +/+
COMT P199P rs769224 GG -/-
VDR Bsm rs1544410 TT +/+
VDR Taq rs731236 AG +/-
MAO A R297R rs6323 G -/-
ACAT1-02 rs3741049 AG +/-
MTHFR C677T rs1801133 AG +/-
MTHFR 03 P39P rs2066470 GG -/-
MTHFR A1298C rs1801131 TT -/-
MTR A2756G rs1805087 AG +/-
MTRR A66G rs1801394 AG +/-
MTRR H595Y not found n/a n/a
MTRR K350A rs162036 AA -/-
MTRR R415T not found n/a n/a
MTRR A664A rs1802059 AA +/+
BHMT-02 rs567754 CC -/-
BHMT-04 not found n/a n/a
BHMT-08 rs651852 CT +/-
AHCY-01 rs819147 CT +/-
AHCY-02 not found n/a n/a
AHCY-19 rs819171 CT +/-
CBS C699T rs234706 GG -/-
CBS A360A rs1801181 AA +/+
CBS N212N not found n/a n/a
SHMT1 C1420T not found n/a n/a

I don't see PEMT,
Is there another place I need to look?

Gondwanaland

I got a report from the MTHFRsupport site (from the Sterling's app). It costs $20 or $25. But you can also download the sample file from their page and look up the SNPs yourself for free if you want.
The PEMT ones are:
PEMT rs4244593 T
PEMT rs4646406 A
PEMT rs7946 C

ahmo

@Peyt You can create an interactive data base, which allows you to put in any SNP you want and see your results, here, at Promethease. I can't tell you which link to use, it was a couple years ago when I did this, but I can now just pull up my promethease report, as I did re this PEMT, and see my results. (no PEMT issues, tho my body loves choline, especially when I got on to a superior form!)
http://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Promethease

Gondwanaland

I can now just pull up my promethease report,
just now I saw the "interactive report" link at my promethease report :bang-head:
facepalm.gif

ahmo

Hi Izzy, I knew someone would ask that. Should have taken the time to post!:D Best choline, as far as I can gather. I'd gone to choline bitartrate, since I was so unclear re which other form was the best, but bitartrate isn't good for heart. then saw this vid, from the thread Mitochondria 101, the first link, and was convinced. My body loves this.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/mitochondria-101-part-2.29249/page-2

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/poisoning-the-mitochondria.27790/ Poisoning the Mitochondria (Part 1 of Radio's 2-part discussion)

Peyt

Ahmo, although it's only been 4 days, I have to say I can tolerate Choline bitartrate much better than phosphatidylcholine that is usually made from Soy or Sunflower Lecethin... I have no idea why...but with the phosphatidylcholine I could feel my body inflate a bit and my breasts get tender and even slightly increase in size(after a couple of months of use).. I also gained 10lbs on phosphatidylcholine, later I watched a video by Rostenberg that links Choline to Estrogen and I guess it makes a little more sense now.... Choline Bitaratrate on the other hand has not done that up to now... I will report back in 2 weeks or so if I see any negative side effects... The only negative side effect I have seen so far is that I am only sleeping 4 hours a night instead of my normal 6, but I am traveling now and will be back home tomorrow and usually when I travel I sleep less anyways, so it might be a coincidence.. I am hoping this will regulate in a week or so.. My mind is sharper and I find myself smiling alot more and get angry less.... I am positive there is a SNP somewhere in the Choline/Estrogen path that is effecting me..

Peyt

I got a report from the MTHFRsupport site (from the Sterling's app). It costs $20 or $25. But you can also download the sample file from their page and look up the SNPs yourself for free if you want.
The PEMT ones are:
PEMT rs4244593 T
PEMT rs4646406 A
PEMT rs7946 C

Hey Gondwanaland,
You know how we were discussing HCI and low stomach acid in my other post last week?
Well I just found out that 1 of the 3 main components of secreting stomach acid is actually Acetycholine!
This is all so linked up it's driving me crazy...

Peyt

Could you please elaborate on this?"

Here is the exact quote out of the book "Why Stomach Acid is Good for you" Page 48, by Dr. Jonathan V. Wright, M.D. and Lane Lenard, PDH

Present scientific knowledge tells us that stomach acid secretion is under the control of three separate substances: acetylcholine, gastrin, and histamine.

Acethlcholine (ACh) is a neurotransmitter, a hormonelike substance that carries information within the nervous system and between the nerve and muscle cells. Neural control of acid secretion via ACh makes it possible for the stomach to start secreting acid at the sight, smell, or even thought of food, as impulses originating in the brain trigger the release of ACh onto parietal cells.

Gastrin promotes HCI secretion by two routes: it directly stimulates parietal cells, which respond by pumping out acid molecules. More important is gastrin's ability to stimulate ECL cells to secrete histamine.

Histamine, in turn stimulates parietal cells to release HCI, The location on the parietal cell where histamine binds is called the H2 receptor. Histamine action at the H2-receptor is the primary stimulus for gastric acid release. Drugs known as H2-receptor blockers, including Zantac, Tagamet, Pepcid, and Axid, prevent gastrin from stimulating H2 receptors, which significantly reduces acid release into the stomach.

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

Thanks, this is food for thought ;)
And you are concerned about acetylcholine because? (sorry, I haven't looked what's behind acetylcholine generation yet :confused:)

Edit: what's your SULT status BTW?

Gondwanaland

What do you mean? I am not sure if I understand your question...
You want to boost your HCl generation, so you also need to boost your acetylcholine levels. How is it done? Have you faced any problems in trying it?

SULT somehow relates to ability to deal with salicylates (and I am sure my high uric acid is involved). I am pasting some scattered findings in this topic. I also found an excellent review regarding SULT genes but haven't posted about it b/c I don't think there is someone else interested in it.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfotransferase

Peyt

You want to boost your HCl generation, so you also need to boost your acetylcholine levels. How is it done? Have you faced any problems in trying it?

This is why I am trying Choline Bitartrate, and as stated in my earlier post I have tried Lecethin in the past which had the side effects I mentioned.
But your question provoked me to do a search on all possible supplementation of Choline, and here is a link I just found, I guess there are other supplements I did not know about:
http://peaknootropics.com/types-of-acetylcholine-supplements/

Gondwanaland

This is why I am trying Choline Bitartrate, and as stated in my earlier post I have tried Lecethin in the past which had the side effects I mentioned.
Sorry, I am already trying to figure out what has been increasing my brainf og lately :redface:
But your question provoked me to do a search on all possible supplementation of Choline, and here is a link I just found, I guess there are other supplements I did not know about:
http://peaknootropics.com/types-of-acetylcholine-supplements/
Thanks, that is very useful!