• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FMT promise for Autoimmune and Neurologic Disorders

natasa778

The beneficial effect of FMT on non-GI disorders was a serendipitous observation. In one patient with ulcerative colitis and idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP), FMT not only resulted in remission of ulcerative colitis but also reversal of ITP with platelet counts that increased from a mean of 97 to 195 × 109 μl.[54] Normal defecation was achieved in three patients with multiple sclerosis, who underwent FMT for chronic constipation and who also noted improvement of motor symptoms and urinary function, resulting in a regained ability to walk and removal of indwelling catheters.[55] One report described the co-development of myoclonus dystonia and chronic diarrhea in a 6-year old child who had ongoing myoclonus dystonia symptoms for 22 years.[56] FMT resulted in 90% improvement of her myoclonus dystonia symptoms, allowing her to resume employment and execute fine motor tasks, such as drinking from a cup, fastening buttons, and dressing.[56] Neurologic improvement has also been reported in one patient with Parkinson's disease after FMT for chronic constipation.[10]

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/776501_9

natasa778

The article also quotes study report by Borody (unpublished??).

Treatment of Nongastrointestinal Diseases: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Thirty-four patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) were treated with FMT and followed over 11–28 months: 14 (41%) reported persistent relief and 12 (35%) showed little or late relief of related symptoms.[60]

Borody TJ. Bacteriotherapy for chronic fatigue syndrome: a long-term followup study. Presented at the 1995 CFS National Consensus Conference.

xchocoholic

Extensive info on patients advocacy website http://thepowerofpoop.com/

Tx. The link didn't work but I googled it. I'm not sure how our bodies work but I think I'd need my donor poop to be free of gluten, casein, soy, dyes, etc. I saw someone, Carlos ?, mention finding casein free poop.

It just hit me. Is Metametrix or any other cdsa company involved in testing these ? Or involved in other gut research ? They have plenty to study.

Fwiw, S boulardii appears helpful for c diff. So far just taking 1 will stop this problem for me. Kow.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I just read in 'The Good Gut' (published 2015) that there are currently 40 FMT trials underway. I wonder what illnesses they're looking at...