• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

L-Serine and other amino acid therapy, and malabsorption comments...?

Bansaw

I must admit that I've had most success affecting my mood and health level with amino acids. Aceytl L-Carnitine I have taken for about three months and feel a good mental boost.
Neuroreplete had a good affect on me too.

Now, I am starting L-Serine and trying that out (2000mg p/day)

Anyone out there recommend other amino acids that I could try for chronic fatigue and brain function?

I'm thinking next of L-Tyrosine.

I think in general I have poor absorbtion. My doc has put me on a gut-fixing plan. For example, I have white spots on my nails, zinc deficiency. This is despite taking a zinc supplement every day for a while now (megafood zinc). I feel like I'm not absorbing. I don't have a poor diet either.

Mary

Moderator Resource
You could be low in hydrochloric acid, it's very common in CFS. A gut fixing plan sounds like a very good idea. Anyways, you can take HCL with meals, especially those high in protein which are more difficult to digest. My digestion and absorption improved a great deal once I started taking HCL with meals.

l-glutamine is supposed to be very good for healing a leaky gut.

When you say you have chronic fatigue, do you mean chronic fatigue syndrome? for chronic fatigue is very different from chronic fatigue syndrome. Someone can have chronic fatigue because they're anemic or low in B12 or hypothyroid or have food intolerances, dozens of different reasons, which are not the same thing at all as chronic fatigue syndrome.

So I do think it's probably most important to improve your absorption before adding a lot of stuff because of course if you don't absorb nutrients properly, they won't do you any good.

Bansaw

You could be low in hydrochloric acid, it's very common in CFS. A gut fixing plan sounds like a very good idea. Anyways, you can take HCL with meals, especially those high in protein which are more difficult to digest. My digestion and absorption improved a great deal once I started taking HCL with meals.
Are you saying that you felt your gut acid was low and HCL improved the quality of you gut acid and therefore it helped digestion?

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I must admit that I've had most success affecting my mood and health level with amino acids. Aceytl L-Carnitine I have taken for about three months and feel a good mental boost.

Anyone out there recommend other amino acids that I could try for chronic fatigue and brain function?

I think in general I have poor absorbtion. My doc has put me on a gut-fixing plan. For example, I have white spots on my nails, zinc deficiency. This is despite taking a zinc supplement every day for a while now (megafood zinc). I feel like I'm not absorbing. I don't have a poor diet either.

You could try taking trimethylglycine or Dimethylglycine and CoEnzymeQ10 with the amino acids. It might increase the absorption.

If you have nerve pain or Fibromyalgia it would be good to avoid any amino acids that are nerve stimulators:

Here are some notes I took:

NOTES ON AMINO ACIDS
Essential Amino Acids
arginine
histidine
isoleucine
leucine
lysine
methionine (SAM-e [S-Adenosyl Methionine] is best form for ME/CFIDS and FMS)
phenylalanine (DL-Phenylalanine is best form for ME/CFIDS and FMS)
threonine
tryphtophan (5-HTP is best form for ME/CFIDS and FMS)
valine

Non-Essential Amino Acids
alanine (Beta-Alanine-Best form for ME/CFIDS and FMS)
asparagine-OFF LIMITS (neuro-excititory)
aspartate- OFF LIMITS (neuro-excititory)

cysteine-(NAC-N-Acetyl Cysteine is best form for ME/CFIDS and FMS)
glutamate-OFF LIMITS (neuro-excititory)
glutamine-OFF LIMITS (neuro-excititory)

glycine (Dimethyl and Trimethyl are best forms for ME/CFIDS and FMS)
proline (L-Proline)
serine (Phosphatidylserine Complex best form for ME/CFIDS and FMS)
tyrosine (N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine best for for ME/CFIDS and FMS)

Some people say to take L-Citrulline for Fibromyalgia and CFS. I found that it caused intense FMS pain for some reason. I don't know about others, but, for me, it is off limits.

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
Are you saying that you felt your gut acid was low and HCL improved the quality of you gut acid and therefore it helped digestion?

My stomach acid was low. If your stomach acid is low, you can't digest your food properly or absorb nutrients properly. and yes, HCL improved my digestion a lot. It can get a little complicated. There are amino acids which can help improve digestion but I'm not knowledgable enough about them to recommend one. But I do know that if someone is low in stomach acid, their digestion and absorption will be poor. And digestive enzymes alone were not enough. I had to take HCL to get real improvement. A doctor told me to take enough HCL until I felt "acidy", and then cut back by one. That happened to me at 4 capsules, the "acidy" feeling, so I went with 3 and did just fine.

There's a baking soda burp test (yes, it sounds a little funny) which is supposed to indicate whether your stomach acid is low or not. It was posted at one time by Richvank and goes like this:

"For those who haven't heard of the baking soda--burp test, it goes like this: On an empty stomach, drink a glass of water (about 8 oz.) into which you have mixed one-quarter teaspoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). See how long it takes you to burp. If you haven't burped in two minutes, your stomach acid production is low."

So I would give that a try and see what happens. Lemon juice can also help with digestion, as well as apple cider vinegar.

Rand56

For example, I have white spots on my nails, zinc deficiency. This is despite taking a zinc supplement every day for a while now (megafood zinc). I feel like I'm not absorbing. I don't have a poor diet either.

Hi Bansaw

Check out the info on this site. This info could hold more weight since it deals with cellular analysis rather than all the same regurgitated info you read from other sites, where they all say white spots on nails is caused by "low" zinc levels. Zinc is tricky and I'd be careful with it. Don't know how much you are taking, but it's possible you could be taking too much of it and becoming low on other antagonists to zinc. Do a zinc tally test if you haven't done so already.......

"It should be noted though that those infamous "White Spots" on someone's nails are not caused by zinc deficiency, as they are just as common in people with excessively high zinc levels."

http://www.acu-cell.com/znk.html

Bansaw

Hi Bansaw

It should be noted though that those infamous "White Spots" on someone's nails are not caused by zinc deficiency, as they are just as common in people with excessively high zinc levels."

http://www.acu-cell.com/znk.html
Thanks, thats helpful. I just read it. It looks like Zinc is a very tricky element to get right; a defficieny causes problems, as does an excess.
Actually I just had a hair test last week and waiting on the results now.

But then I read somewhere that even if some people test high for zinc in their hair sample, it does not necessarily mean that they have sufficient zinc, because the zinc is consumed but not assimilated properly and just excreted straight out.
Plus the fact that zinc plays off copper and other elements makes this tricky. Fortunately I am under a good doctor and I'll hear what she has to say in a couple of weeks time.

Rand56

Thanks, thats helpful. I just read it. It looks like Zinc is a very tricky element to get right; a defficieny causes problems, as does an excess.
Actually I just had a hair test last week and waiting on the results now.

But then I read somewhere that even if some people test high for zinc in their hair sample, it does not necessarily mean that they have sufficient zinc, because the zinc is consumed but not assimilated properly and just excreted straight out.
Plus the fact that zinc plays off copper and other elements makes this tricky. Fortunately I am under a good doctor and I'll hear what she has to say in a couple of weeks time.

Yeah, I wouldn't totally rely on the hair mineral test. Get a zinc tally taste test. Doesn't cost much. I've always heard this is more accurate than any other test. What kind of zinc are you taking? For a long time I had taken zinc picolinate, then I read where it does uptake zinc very well, but then it gets rid of it quickly too and you could end up have a "net loss" in zinc. After that, I did Kirkmans zinc sulfate transdermal. At one time I went as high as 200 mg's per day, but learned quick enough that was not good for me. Started feeling very strange with balance issues when I walked. Right now I'm good on zinc. I taste test myself on occasion. I eat a good amount of zinc containing foods and I only use the zinc sulfate cream sparingly now. Only a small dab a few times a week. So far so good with doing this with no adverse symptoms.

Bansaw

zinc sulfate cream sparingly now. Only a small dab a few times a week. So far so good with doing this with no adverse symptoms.
So your intake of zinc comes from a "cream", what brand? My doc did give me a swig of zinc a few months ago and asked if it tasted metallic or how it tasted. I'm guessing thats the taste test you're on about. I wonder if a liquid form of zinc / copper is appropriate.
I tend to do well with supplements as liquids rather than pills. I think my absorption is not good.

Rand56

So your intake of zinc comes from a "cream", what brand? My doc did give me a swig of zinc a few months ago and asked if it tasted metallic or how it tasted. I'm guessing thats the taste test you're on about. I wonder if a liquid form of zinc / copper is appropriate.
I tend to do well with supplements as liquids rather than pills. I think my absorption is not good.

Yeah the Kirkman's is a cream. I opted to try this because I don't have any sulfur issues , plus whenever I did Opti-Zinc <zinc methionine> I'd get an upset stomach which can be commen.....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=kirkmans zinc sulfate

Ok so your doc gave you the taste test. This is the one that I have and is a liquid solution, but unless you want to burn thru your wallet fast LOL, just use it for the test, not to supplement with it, if you need to......

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ethical nutrients zinc status&rh=i:aps,k:ethical nutrients zinc status

Bansaw

Yeah the Kirkman's is a cream. I'd get an upset stomach which can be commen.....
I think I get an upset stomach too if I take the wrong kind of zinc. When I took the zinc taste test I told my doc that there was "no strong taste." I'll discuss those two products with her. Those links are helpful, thanks.
Can I ask, do you take a copper supp too to balance out the zinc?

Rand56

I think I get an upset stomach too if I take the wrong kind of zinc. When I took the zinc taste test I told my doc that there was "no strong taste." I'll discuss those two products with her. Those links are helpful, thanks.
Can I ask, do you take a copper supp too to balance out the zinc?

No I don't take any extra copper. I get enough of that in my diet.

Tammy

must admit that I've had most success affecting my mood and health level with amino acids. Aceytl L-Carnitine I have taken for about three months and feel a good mental boost.

Hi Bansaw...........I just wanted to note that L-Tyrosine is already in your Neuroreplete.........4 caps =1500mgs. Don't know if your still taking it?

Bansaw

Hi Bansaw...........I just wanted to note that L-Tyrosine is already in your Neuroreplete.........4 caps =1500mgs. Don't know if your still taking it?
Thanks, I am not taking Neuroreplete now. Its a litte pricey, and Acetyl-L-Carnitine is having a good affect on me.