• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pernicious Anemia and Hydroxy B12-Help Please

gracee41

While traveling this week, I wound up being admitted to the ER with extremely rapid heartbeat, BP of 185/90, and rapid pulse. Had the chills and severe weakness as well. The only lab work they did was electrolytes and thyroid. I did need an increase in thyroid med but no lab was done for iron or blood count. I was told by my thyroid forum it sounded like I had low iron. So, I had a local doc do labs for iron and blood count.

Blood count was okay. Iron was very low normal. My levels were taken in July as well and they had fallen quite a bit since then. Doctor emails to tell me my iron levels are fine and to follow up with my thyroid doc. I don't know why I'm surprised. I feel terrible. I did start taking iron supplements a couple of days ago. I know it takes time for them to work. All my symptoms point to B12 anemia (pernicious).

First, will iron supplementation help B12 anemia at all? Also, when I try to take even a small amount of hydroxy B12, my heart starts beating rapidly. It's tough since my heart rate is already elevated because of low iron. I've been taking B1, B2, and Biotin with it to help calm reaction but not helping. Can Niacin be taken with hydroxy B12? Will this help calm the heartbeat?

Please help. I feel terrible and the dr's are clueless.

JAM

Jill
While traveling this week, I wound up being admitted to the ER with extremely rapid heartbeat, BP of 185/90, and rapid pulse. Had the chills and severe weakness as well. The only lab work they did was electrolytes and thyroid. I did need an increase in thyroid med but no lab was done for iron or blood count. I was told by my thyroid forum it sounded like I had low iron. So, I had a local doc do labs for iron and blood count.

Blood count was okay. Iron was very low normal. My levels were taken in July as well and they had fallen quite a bit since then. Doctor emails to tell me my iron levels are fine and to follow up with my thyroid doc. I don't know why I'm surprised. I feel terrible. I did start taking iron supplements a couple of days ago. I know it takes time for them to work. All my symptoms point to B12 anemia (pernicious).

First, will iron supplementation help B12 anemia at all? Also, when I try to take even a small amount of hydroxy B12, my heart starts beating rapidly. It's tough since my heart rate is already elevated because of low iron. I've been taking B1, B2, and Biotin with it to help calm reaction but not helping. Can Niacin be taken with hydroxy B12? Will this help calm the heartbeat?

Please help. I feel terrible and the dr's are clueless.
Yes, Iron will help with the B12 anemia, they need to be balanced. Be careful with the iron, it is toxic if you have too much. I can't answer your other questions. Hope it all balances out soon.

melamine

Have you tried potassium? Your symptom is classic low potassium. Maybe it had evened out by the time of your blood work. I believe low potassium is expected if methylation is ramped up: you didn't say how much hydroxyB12 you're taking or whether with active folate.

gracee41

Thank you. I started iron 3 days ago. Standard treatment for B12 deficient anemia is B12 injections. However, with MTHFR, standard B12 is not going to help me. I need the B12 badly now but how do you take it when it sets your heart off into major palps?

gracee41

My potassium level is 3.9. I know that is on the low side. Thing is, I've been drinking a lot of coconut water and taking potassium capsules throughout the day. My level hasn't changed from July. I tried gluconate powder but made me feel bloated. Here are my iron test results:
Iron 57 (39-150)
TIBC 383 (241-421)
Transferrin Saturation 15 (15-50%)
Ferritin 82 (8-252)

melamine

Even if you aren't doing any intentional methylation, are you familiar with the protocols? If you read the whys and wherefores of any of them, and particularly Richvank's simplified Amy Yasko protocol, which uses hydroxyB12, it might give you some clues as to why you are reacting to B12. Have you tried taking smaller amounts through the day and titrating up?

melamine

I have been made sick taking too much B complex at one time. It may have been the B12/folate. Your iron numbers look good except for the borderline transferrin, which maybe just means that you need to supplement extra iron in order to compensate. I'm not an expert here and am only speculating without further research.

gracee41

I have read some of Rich's simplified protocol and quite a bit of Dr. Yasko's. That's why I started with the hydroxl b12 since her chart shows I should tolerate it better. I've tried the methyl and small amounts at that. It wasn't very forgiving. I wanted to add Dibencozide next but haven't been able to get used to the hydroxyl b12. I've been taking 1/4 sublingual 1000mcg lozenge daily.

melamine

Are you taking anything with active folate? You are certainly taking a relatively low amount of B12, but they say the more deficient you are the more you're likely to react. I would still keep a potassium/electrolyte solution on hand to sip throughout the day.

gracee41

My iron numbers were a lot higher in July so they are definitely coming down. My Transferrin Sat was 25% then and Iron was 94. Could the potassium have thrown it off?

melamine

No. Potassium will not throw off any mineral that I am aware of. Methylation might deplete iron, and other minerals can. I am not an expert here. You don't want to deplete any minerals in the process of building up iron, nor take so much iron that it sets off reactions, potentially. I think your iron situation combined with methylation will need researching.

gracee41

I'm not taking any active folate yet. That was going to come after the addition of the Dibencozide. I was trying follow Yasko's protocol and info I had received here. The first two days on 1/2 lozenge of the hydroxyl b12 was wonderful. It was like the lights came on. Then, the symptoms showed-up. I know that is a common experience. Although, from what I've read, it tends to be less with hydroxyl.

melamine

Yasko makes a multivitamin/mineral called All In One that is supposed to be used in conjunction. I would advise getting that first. Sometimes the advise is to start with that alone. Also, be sure and read her explanation for why she formulated it as she has.

melamine

I am just starting up with a methylation trial myself, using methyl and folate, and soon dibencoside, but I have also ordered the hydroxyl form in case I don't do well with the methylB12 and for comparison. Without having tried either, I tend to favor Richvank/Nathan/Yasko for myself, but happened to have the other stuff on hand.​

melamine

You might find some helpful advice in "Just asking for a little help to get started" thread under New Posts here even though Optimist is doing Freddd's protocol.

gracee41

I did have someone in this forum tell me to add some other B vitamins and niacin to my hydroxyl to balance it. Didn't try the niacin but the other B vitamins seemed to make it worse actually. I found Yasko's chart of recommended B12 from a post I read here. That explained why methyl was hard on me. I hope you do well on the methyl. It's trial an error for everyone. If anyone is using Niacin with hydroxy alone, please let me know.

melamine

On the other thread you'll read that extra niacin can be taken to put a brake on overmethylating, but because you aren't yet taking folate, I question whether that is the problem yet.

gracee41

That is exactly what I was wondering. You read about niacin being taken during methylation. I've not read about it being taking with hydroxy or even dibencozide.