• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to get highest dose of magnesium in my system?

lizw118

I posted this in general therapies as well. Apologies for the redundancy.

Hi everyone,
I get a magnesium shot once a week from my doctor. On those days I feel much improved, but the improvement only lasts a day. If I could get that high dose of magnesium daily I believe it would improve my health immensely. However, when I take oral magnesium at high doses (glycinate form) I tolerate it fine but I do not feel any effects like the I do with the shots. The same is true for transdermal magnesium. Is there any really concentrated form of magnesium I can take? I wish I could give myself magnesium shots daily. I wonder why doctors don't do this like they do with B12. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mary

Moderator Resource
What is cross-post? why an apology?

@lizw118 - re magnesium - thiamine is a co-factor for magnesium. I just did a little search and this thread has some apparently very good suggestions for getting magnesium into the cells: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...rs-for-magnesium-absorption-into-cells.26885/

Sarah Myhill recommends mag injections but my doctor wouldn't do them. My red blood cell test showed adequate magnesium but it's very low on hair analysis. I'm starting to take thiamine and also have increased B6 and will see if these things help with magnesium utilization.

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

Not sure if this was already mentioned but there is also magnesium by nebulizer and you can find the protocol if you Google Sarah Myhill.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Why is it wrong to cross post? It's impossible to look at all the forums so I think someone would be more likely to get a response if they posted in more than one place.

adreno

PR activist
Why is it wrong to cross post? It's impossible to look at all the forums so I think someone would be more likely to get a response if they posted in more than one place.
It can be considered spamming, especially if done excessively. Also, we then have discussions spread over several threads. For example, you are not aware that I have already answered the question in the first thread. Perhaps later, someone will ask a question in that thread, which has already been answered in this one. Aso.

Gondwanaland

You can use the button "New Posts" in the light blue menu bar at the top.

Mij

I posted this in general therapies as well. Apologies for the redundancy.

Hi everyone,
I get a magnesium shot once a week from my doctor. On those days I feel much improved, but the improvement only lasts a day. If I could get that high dose of magnesium daily I believe it would improve my health immensely. However, when I take oral magnesium at high doses (glycinate form) I tolerate it fine but I do not feel any effects like the I do with the shots. The same is true for transdermal magnesium. Is there any really concentrated form of magnesium I can take? I wish I could give myself magnesium shots daily. I wonder why doctors don't do this like they do with B12. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi Liz, my doctor gave me Mg shots x2 week years ago- I did not feel any effect from them. At that time I was reading over Dr. Cheney's protocol for magnesium IM and he included taurine in the injections. The Taurine helps the Mg absorb into cells therefore you need to inject less Mg at one time. I discussed this with my doctor and we ordered the taurine and magnesium from a compounding pharmacy. This made all the difference! He explained to me how to inject and I continued taking shots 3x/week for several months. I took them off and on for years and I have to say it was the most effective treatment I received since becoming ill 23yrs ago.

I dont' feel I need the shots anymore and use the Ancient Mineral transdermal magnesium chloride gel. I think the key is to get your levels way up and one shot a week is not going to do it.

I don't absorb supplements very well orally so I no longer waste my money on capsules.

Gondwanaland

The Taurine helps the Mg absorb into cells therefore you need to inject less Mg at one time. I discussed this with my doctor and we ordered the taurine and magnesium from a compounding pharmacy. This made all the difference!
Hmmmmm For sometime time now I suspect I might have high endogenous taurine.

Maybe this expalins why I do so well on magnesium oxide! Thanks for posting this @Mij!

Mary

Moderator Resource
It can be considered spamming, especially if done excessively. Also, we then have discussions spread over several threads. For example, you are not aware that I have already answered the question in the first thread. Perhaps later, someone will ask a question in that thread, which has already been answered in this one. Aso.

@adreno - okay, I guess I get it - but it's such a large board with so many sections that I still think it might be helpful to post a query in more than one section, but will abide by the rules.

cigana

You can get very large doses into your system by mixing the magnesium from capsules (eg. magnesium taurate) into water and slowly sipping that throughout the day. This way you can usually go many times beyond bowel tolerance.
It may be that you only benefit from high doses in a short time, though. But this would be one way to find out.