• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

advice for pyroluria positive test

SwanRonson

I got my test results back today and this is the finding:

Patient was not taking Vitamin B or Zinc 24-48 hours prior to specimen collection.
PROCEDURE KRYPTOPYRROLE (URINE) CORRECTED (calculated) **
RESULT: 114.02 HIGH
PROCEDURE KRYPTOPYRROLE (URINE) UNCORRECTED (actual)
RESULT: 67.07 HIGH
SPECIFIC GRAVITY: 1.010
KRYPTOPYRROLE REFERENCE RANGES:
Optimal Range 0-9 mcg/dl
Does anyone have any advice on where to start with treatment? My naturopath M.D. doesn't know anything about pyroluria. I asked/showed her yesterday.

She currently has me taking this (1 capsule per day):

http://www.apexenergetics.com/products/k09

And I have Solgar P5P on hand already, but I don't know what dosage would be good to start with. I know B6 can be bad if too much.

Thanks!

sregan

p5p and zinc. The Orthomolecular literature is the place to read up on.

http://www.growyouthful.com/ailment/pyroluria.php

"I have pyroluria and got much worse on b6 and zinc taken at the same time. A doctor told me they combine and destroy each other they form a compound and are depleted . Take them at least 10 hours apart"
http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1255950

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/alter/20050510/msgs/498689.html

Curezone and dr-bob are great forums to research supplements in general

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
@SwanRonson

Disclaimer: I am just learning about this myself, I am not an expert.

I took a pyroluria test but the lab failed to analyze my urine properly. :(

Wow, your numbers look high! It looks like you have a genuine case of pyroluria. But the good news is you will may find great relief with treatment. I am feeling WAY better.

I am having good initial success by taking Source Naturals Coenzymated B6 Sublingual. It seems to be absorbed very strong and fast. I started with 25 mg per day and worked up. I am now up to 100mg a day and I feel pretty awesome, calm, good. I like to take 50mg before bed. It makes me fall alseep

I am also taking a supplement with lots of Elemental Zinc ( currently at 80mg per day).

I am wild guessing I might do OK on 30 - 40 mg of Zinc in the AM, 50 to 75 mg of P5P (B6) before bedtime. I do not know how muchyou need, but defintely more than what is in the formula your naturopath MD recommended

acer2000

I'm curious, how does one manage copper while doing this treatment? Am I correct that at some point, the high amount of Zinc will deplete copper? This might be desirable to a certain extent (depending on if you have excess copper) but might also be bad.

sregan

PeterPositive

I'm curious, how does one manage copper while doing this treatment? Am I correct that at some point, the high amount of Zinc will deplete copper? This might be desirable to a certain extent (depending on if you have excess copper) but might also be bad.
In my case I took Zinc (50-60mg) for 5 weeks and then had a blood test that resulted in elevated Zinc and low copper.

So at the moment I have slowed down the Zinc and added 2mg of copper to get back in balance. Typically you will need 1mg of copper for every 10mg of Zinc you take.

And yes, I have moderately elevated HPL / Kryptopyrroles. Although I suspect that might just be a marker of leaky gut issues more than anything else. In fact higher doses of zinc and P5P haven't brought major changes.

Cheers

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I am taking Tanalbit (for candida) which has lots of Zinc. One mineral supplement that looks interesting is called Seeking Health Trace Mineral II... copper-free. It has 30 mg of elemental zinc and generous amounts of other pyroluria minerals.