• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mindfulness Meditation & Measurable Changes in Brain's Gray Matter

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Participating in an eight-week mindfulness meditation program appears to make measurable changes in brain regions associated with memory, sense of self, empathy, and stress. In a study that will appear in the Jan. 30 issue of Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging, a team led by Harvard-affiliated researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) reported the results of their study, the first to document meditation-produced changes over time in the brain’s gray matter.

Read more here.

maddietod

This appeared in the January 30, 2011 issue; it's not a new study.

But it's pretty amazing! It makes me wonder if the changes are permanent. And for us long-term meditators, is daily meditation necessary to keep the gains? Or is occasional meditation enough, assuming the depth of the experience is maintained?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
And for us long-term meditators, is daily meditation necessary to keep the gains? Or is occasional meditation enough, assuming the depth of the experience is maintained?
Hi Madie, I didn't realize it was old as it just popped up in my newsfeed.

Now, that is a question that will prod us not to be lazy about our meditation practice!

Sushi

Iquitos

I had been meditating for a long time before I got ME. Now I see that mindfulness meditation can prevent or lessen anxiety and panic attacks. I've never had anxiety or panic attacks so I now wonder if it's because I've been meditating for 40 years.

mango

I too had been meditating for a long time before I got ME (about 20 years in total, started about 12 years before ME). I've never had anxiety, panic attacks, depression or anything like that. However, I have no idea if my meditation practice has had anything to do with that or not... It definitely has been a great help in finding acceptance, coping with stressful situations, getting deep rest when sleep wouldn't come etc. It hasn't made me less sick, though.