• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Forward ME Group: Minutes for meeting on 21 October 2014

"HTO was good, important qualitative research. But without the backing of charities within Forward-ME the project would probably not be able to go ahead."

So much qualitative research seems to end up justifying the prior views of the researchers involved in presenting it that I think it's best seen as a political project, and should only be supported by a patient group if they know that the researcher involved shares their values and aims. George Lewith and Clare McDermott are not people I think it would helpful to have leading a project like this. At all.

Min

"HTO was good, important qualitative research. But without the backing of charities within Forward-ME the project would probably not be able to go ahead."

So much qualitative research seems to end up justifying the prior views of the researchers involved in presenting it that I think it's best seen as a political project, and should only be supported by a patient group if they know that the researcher involved shares their values and aims. George Lewith and Clare McDermott are not people I think it would helpful to have leading a project like this. At all.

Well said Esther, this is the sort of work Lewith and McDermott involve themselves in:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ith-severe-cfs-me-uk.32205/page-2#post-501835

Last edited:
Also though, thanks to those involved for their other work. I'm not sure if I've read White's chapter, but it would not surprise me if there were serious problems in there. I just chose to only reply to Charles with the bit I was most worried by.

I'm not sure if I've read White's chapter, but it would not surprise me if there were serious problems in there.
I've read it ... CFS, etc are portrayed as completely psychosomatic. No mention is made of the overwhelming research which contradicts those claims, nor the fatal flaws in the CBT/GET research and theories.