• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Study: Removing Tonsils May Cure ADHD - fatigue in young children

natasa778

...Unlike older children and adults, this lack of restful sleep _ and resulting oxygen deprivation _ does not produce daytime sleepiness and fatigue in very young kids. It tends to make them hyper.

"Chronic loss of sleep can drive kids crazy, and the less sleep they get, the more crazy they get," said Dr. Brice Kopas, T.J.'s pediatrician. "T.J. was impossible. He just could not sit still, for even a second or two."

But what has been less clear, until recently, is the direct effect of tonsil and adenoid removal on easing, even eliminating, full-fledged ADHD, in children who have sleep problems.

In one recent study, at the University of Michigan, 22 children with ADHD and sleep-disordered breathing had adenotonsillectomies. After one year, 11 no longer battled ADHD.

"These improvements are remarkable because hyperactivity and inattention generally are expected to be chronic features in affected school-age children," the researchers wrote in a report published last year in the journal Pediatrics.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/08/14/study-removing-tonsils-may-cure-adhd-in-children/

Iquitos

Another excuse for unnecessary surgery on those who can't refuse on their own behalf.

When one of my brothers had infected tonsils, legitimately requiring surgery, the doctor convinced my parents to have all 4 of us cut on at the same time, saying "They'll all need it eventually so might as well get it out of the way." They chipped my tooth and then said it was my fault because I "fought the anesthetic."

That may have been the beginning of my understanding that too many doctors do what's good for them, not what's good for the patient.

In the above study, half were better after a year? So how do we know they wouldn't have gotten better in a year anyway? Why did the other half not get better after this surgery? More bogus "research."

*GG*

That is ridiculous in the true sense of the word.

Yeah, you cannot trust Fox news on anything, they are pro-Republican/Conservative, therefore just part of the right wing conspiracy to keep us all poor etc..

GG

adreno

PR activist
Yeah, you cannot trust Fox news on anything, they are pro-Republican/Conservative, therefore just part of the right wing conspiracy to keep us all poor etc..

GG
aw_jeez.jpg

Sinclair

Anyone know any adverse effects of having your tonsils removed? It's part of the immune system.

I understand Dr. Chia considers tonsils removal as a common pattern of his ME patients. A regular surgeon response to chronic colds and throat inflammation in children. My tonsils were removed at 4 y.o., 35 years ago. I would expect more scientific research on the topic by today...

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
In the above study, half were better after a year? So how do we know they wouldn't have gotten better in a year anyway?
We Don't.

When I was in grade school I had several bouts of tonsillitis one year, two of them caused by penicillin the doctor gave me after I was well. The doctor wanted to take my tonsils out. I was very upset by and opposed to the idea. My parents did not have it done. A year later I had no problems.