• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation success stories

I was wondering if there are any methylation success stories here or elsewhere? I see nothing on the internet about methylation and ME. It's like a big secret and wondering how helpful it is.

ahmo

@sickntired771

I’ve had massive improvements, particularly in nervous system. My physical stamina lags behind, but that is really tolerable now because I’m no longer a nervous wreck. All the neurological symptoms have resolved, my arms remain weak, but rarely hurt, so typing is no problem; cognition near-normal, though easily fatigued; no more irritability, anxiety, over-heating, no more life-long insomnia. I told Fred early on that the protocol had returned me to the land of the living. I can participate in the forums and online learning, no longer feeling that life is unbearable or not worth living. I’m finding a lot of joy in my life.:balloons:

helen1

These PR members have indicated they've improved a lot - several have said they've recovered - using methylation plus almost always other protocols as well:

Idie, Stridor, HowIRecovered, freddd, greenshots, Red04, Martial, Skyline, Caledonia and slayadragon.

xrunner

I was wondering if there are any methylation success stories here or elsewhere? I see nothing on the internet about methylation and ME. It's like a big secret and wondering how helpful it is.
@sickntired771
The only pilot study ever made on 21 CFS patients by Rich V.K. and Dr Nathan using the Simplified Methylation protocol can be found here
http://www.mecfs-vic.org.au/sites/w...Article-2009VanKonynenburg-TrtMethylStudy.pdf

also a video by Rich which explains theory and summarises results of the above study
http://iaomt.media.fnf.nu/embed/2/skovde_2011_me_kroniskt_trotthetssyndrom/1

ahmo

@sickntired771 I have an addition. Not what you asked, but I'm also copying here something I posted elsewhere re low dose naltrexone (LDN). This post re LDN was written maybe a couple weeks after the initial one reporting that I'm still low on stamina.

I began LDN in July, starting with match-head size doses. LDN easily sets off detox reactions. I've had plenty of that, but had already been deeply engaged in a detox protocol for the whole of this year. At the end of August I reached 3mg, 2 1/2 months. I've increased to 3.5 during the past 5 days. I'll continue to 4.5 or until I get signals to stop here and now.

What I've gotten w/ LDN is greatly increased stamina and resilience. I can only assume that the deep autoimmune inflammatory process I had has now been alleviated. My body no longer has to struggle in some deep metabolic process, and so has more energy for me to function in the world. I am very grateful.

Last edited:

PennyIA

I don't think I can claim recovery, but I've seen some really promising short-term remissions that feel like they are tied to methylation treatment. I just keep struggling with finding the right combination of things that will allow me to keep it going over longer time periods.

There are results on Google and some on Phoenix Rising, as well.

You might want to see the polls here and here. Click on "View Results." (Please note Dr. Rich Van K. updated his protocol before passing away in 2012. Freddd's protocol has also since been updated.)

Methylation treatment can help increase glutathione. Glutathione is an antioxidant used for building cells, detoxing, and protecting B12 and the mitochondria involved in the body's energy process. Glutathione tends to be low in people with chronic illness.

Methylation is also important depending on genetics, like a homozygous MTHFR mutation. I've also heard it set the stage for tolerating a supplement or medication that was not tolerated previously. Caledonia noted methylfolate helped with her multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS). Dr. Stephen Stahl stated addressing a methylfolate deficiency can help with depression/antidepressant response.

If your bigger problem is a chronic infection(s), then a methylation protocol might be just one step on your journey. As Rich Van K. stated:
Even though the methylation cycle function can be brought closer to normal and glutathione can be raised in most PWMEs wth methylation treatment, the etiologies and accumulated toxins and/or pathogens in most cases will need to be treated directly and specifically as well.