• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coffee = poor fat digestion

optimist

I just recently discovered that drinking coffee for some reason turns off my ability to eat fat. If I drink about three cups of coffee, fat makes me nauseous. The effect seems to last more or less the whole day. Any one who has the same experience, and perhaps even knows why this is so?

This connection took me about 9 months to figure out!

Raindrop

I know from having GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease) that two of the things that you need to stay away from if you have mild to moderate GERD are Fatty Foods and Coffee (because it is acidic). If you are drinking a whole three cups of coffee, surely you are taking in a lot of acid!! Couple that with Fat and there you go....
perfect storm for getting nauseous. You might want to look into whether you have mild to moderate Reflux
issues. They can manifest in many different ways, nausea being one of them. I for one CANNOT drink
more than 1/2 cup coffee and ONLY on a FULL stomach, so that the acidity is manageable. If I stay away
from acidic and fatty foods I am not having the reflux and nausea. Btw, this took me a long time to
totally understand as well. Finally went to a Gastroenterologist and then did a lot of own research. Hope this may help you.

optimist

Thanks for the suggestion @Raindrop. Perhaps that is the explanation, that there becomes too much acid. The strange thing is that it almost feels like the opposite. If I eat carbs however, then it feels like I get litres of acid in my stomach. But, I guess what it feels like, and what the current situation really is, can be two very different things.

I must do more investigations :)

for me is h.pylori which take advantage of coffee sugar fat...plus clogged liver CYP doesnt allow me to detox coffee and fat properly...could be something else

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Coffee is a slow, slight poison for the digestive system and adrenal glands. Get that replaced with say, green smoothies, some "energy" supplement or raw juices.

optimist

Do your carbs include gluten?
No.

for me is h.pylori which take advantage of coffee sugar fat...plus clogged liver CYP doesnt allow me to detox coffee and fat properly...could be something else
h.pylori is a stomach ulcer bacteria, or? What is CYP?

Coffee is a slow, slight poison for the digestive system and adrenal glands. Get that replaced with say, green smoothies, some "energy" supplement or raw juices.
The problem is I can't tolerate most fruits and greens :(

yeah its stomach and duodenum bacteria. CYP is detox part in the liver if I recall corectly.
but also others infections/inflamation can block liver with toxins and make it unable to produce enough bile for fats.
even reactivation of viruses like EBV due to poor lifestyle for months can do that.
coffee also is a "weakening liver" agent in chinese medicine. although small amount can help some people.

i also cant tolerate fruits and greens due to dysbiosis: h.pylori, candida, poor gut lining, enzyme insufficiency other stuff

optimist

yeah its stomach and duodenum bacteria. CYP is detox part in the liver if I recall corectly.
but also others infections/inflamation can block liver with toxins and make it unable to produce enough bile for fats.
even reactivation of viruses like EBV due to poor lifestyle for months can do that.
coffee also is a "weakening liver" agent in chinese medicine. although small amount can help some people.

i also cant tolerate fruits and greens due to dysbiosis: h.pylori, candida, poor gut lining, enzyme insufficiency other stuff

Thanks for explaining!