• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Oz vilified in Twitter feed

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Here's what happened when Dr. Oz asked Twitter for health questions

http://www.vox.com/2014/11/12/7203269/dr-oz-health-twitter (twitter excerpts included)

It was supposed to be a forum where Twitter fans of the Dr. Oz Show could send in their most pressing questions for "America's doctor."
But since Oz made his offer yesterday, the #OzsInbox hashtag has turned into a channel for rage and shame, where skeptics and disappointed viewers have been venting about Dr. Oz's psuedoscience trickery.

America’s quack Dr. Oz asks people to ask him questions on Twitter. Hilariously, the results aren’t quite what he expected.
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2...-quite-what-he-expected/#.VGRoiJGv4h4.twitter

Companies and celebrities who try to get a Twitter hashtag trending often find that it backfires spectacularly. So it was when America’s quack, Dr. Mehmet Oz, tried something yesterday afternoon. He tweeted:

"What is your biggest question for me? Reply with #OzsInbox and I'll answer my favorites on http://DoctorOz.com."

I can't choose a favorite tweet - there are too many of them. There might have been more, but I'm sure people were torn between ogling Kim Kardashian's butt and making fun of Dr. Oz. It was a busy day.

Here's the live twitter feed: https://twitter.com/search?q=#OzsInbox&src=tyah

For an earlier thread on Dr. Oz, see
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-student-who-wants-to-bring-down-dr-oz.31452/

barbc56

@CFS_for_19_years

Yes! ! I hadn't heard of him before today. The guy is a genius!

There is no redundancy when it comes to humor. I think somone famous said that.

If you haven't seen House of Cards, he has Kevin Spacy's character to a key!

Thanks.

Barb

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I like Dr Oz. He is very open-minded and more open to alternative healing modalities than anyone else on tv. AND... he is the only media personality who was EVER willing to do a segment on CFS.

I think the attackers are just a bunch of nasty asshats with nothing better to do with their energy, and that's sad.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
A Prescription for BS?

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/whitecoat/a-prescription-for-bs-1.2835840
And the truth about medical culture is that doctors don't always have all the answers. Just like their fake TV counterparts, sometimes they serve up what can only be called "doctor BS."

ZDoggMD is well known for his medical rap parodies like this one, that do pretty good job of cutting through medical 'BS.
Bonus licks: He takes a few swipes at Dr. Phil......can I get a Woot Woot :cool:

Then we turn our 'BS meter' on to one of the most famous doctors in America, with the help of journalist Julia Belluz.
She's been writing about Dr. Mehmet Oz for years (her most recent story was about what happened earlier this week when Dr.Oz asked Twitter users for their health questions. Spoiler Alert: It didn't go well).
Suffice to say, Julia wasn't surprised when the U.S. Congress finally figured out that some of the information Dr. Oz touts on his talk show doesn't pass the smell test

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Isn't this a bit dated?
Barb

So what if it's dated. The point is that Dr Oz actually was WILLING to talk about the serious debilitating disease of CFS on his show, and he did so in an empathetic way without dismissing it as a psychological condition. Name one other major talk show host/tv personality who has ever been willing to do so. There are none that I know of.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
So what if it's dated. The point is that Dr Oz actually was WILLING to talk about the serious debilitating disease of CFS on his show, and he did so in an empathetic way without dismissing it as a psychological condition. Name one other major talk show host/tv personality who has ever been willing to do so. There are none that I know of.

So you think it's OK for a licensed medical doctor to go on a TV show and spout medico-babble just because he ran an episode on CFS/ME? Do you tolerate the psychobabble doctors because they're nice people? How is that any different than someone spouting medical BS?

Last edited:

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Folks, sometimes bad people do nice things. Ted Bundy, the guy who killed lots of women in the 1970s worked as a Crisis Clinic phone volunteer. I know the woman who supervised him in Seattle.

Ted Bundy: The infamous UW alumnus’ time on campus

So you think it's OK for a licensed medical doctor to go on a TV show and spout medico-babble just because he ran an episode on CFS/ME? Do you tolerate the psychobabble doctors because they're nice people? How is that any different than someone spouting medical BS?

Are you seriously going to compare Dr Oz with Ted Bundy (who was a serial killer)...?

I have nothing further to say.

To each his own.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Are you seriously going to compare Dr Oz with Ted Bundy (who was a serial killer)...?

I have nothing further to say.

To each his own.

Alright, I took Ted Bundy out of the mix, so here is where I stand:

barbc56

The thing I find so frustrating is that when Dr. Oz first started as a regular guest on Oprah, he was giving some good medical advice. As he gained more fame, started his own show he became slicker, more sensationalist and started giving dodgy advice which still had enough credible information sprinkled here and there making what he recommended difficult to sort through. People, adore him. There's a term called the Oz effect which means when he mentions a product, sales go through the roof.

I don't know if he does this but when he shows things such as the power of prayet and I believe some find it helps does he say prayer can be useful but not as a substitute for medical care. This topic has recently been in the news of two young children dying of curable conditions becase of the parents disdane for medicine interventions. I really believe these parents believed they were doing the best for their children but this does not negate the tragic consequences of their decisions.

One of the other things I find irksome is his touting all these weight loss and anti aging products which buy into the "if I am not a size two, or am showing my age, I'm not worth as much as those who are." mindset so he attracts a lot of viewers as unfortunately, the reality is that these values are still held in high esteem carry a in our culture.

I could go on and on, but I won't. :D

Barb

barbc56

If you haven't watched House or House of Cards, this is still funny. He has Kenin Spacy's character in House of Cards down to a tee.

Barb

ETA I repeated almost word my comment from my above posr about Kevin Spacy's character as portrayed by Dr. Zdogg MD. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
If you haven't watched House or House of Cards, this is still funny. He has Kenin Spacy's character in House of Cards down to a tee.

Barb

ETA I repeated almost word my comment from my above posr about Kevin Spacy's character as portrayed by Dr. Zdogg MD. :rolleyes:

He's got some zingers in there such as, when referring to Senator McCaskill, he says, "I love that woman like a hematologist loves blooooood" and "Hell hath no fury like a physician forced to spend the first five minutes of a six-minute visit undoing the nefarious teachings of Dr. Jack and his magic beans." His super creepy southern drawl really kills it.
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
yelrotflmao.gif
yelrotflmao.gif
yelrotflmao.gif

@Jonathan Edwards @Butydoc @Dr.Patient enjoy the laughs guys

Last edited:

perchance dreamer

I know why Dr. Oz is controversial, but our paper runs his column once a week. It has common-sense nutritional advice and ideas about things like preventing heart disease and diabetes. I like this column and find nothing objectionable about it.

Since I've had health challenges for a number of years and have done a lot of research, I rarely find anything I didn't know already, but my husband does. He's fortunate enough to enjoy great health, so he hasn't done the research I have.

He's 53, and I tried to convince him for 3 years to get a colonoscopy. He just wouldn't do it until he read that Dr. Oz had one and had precancerous polyps. My husband figured that if someone who lead such a healthy lifestyle could get polyps that he should get a colonoscopy, too. I had told him that for years, to no avail. Men!

Anyway, he had the procedure and had 2 precancerous polyps himself. We are both glad they are out of him instead of inside.

@CFS_for_19_years, this has nothing to do with the thread, so apologies for going off topic, but is it Ann Rule that you know who worked with Bundy at the suicide hotline in Seattle? Were you living in Seattle and old enough to be aware of the missing women at the time?

We live in Austin, and when we first moved into our house, I started reading Ann Rule's book The Stranger Beside Me. The story of Bundy is so ghastly, but it's fascinating, too.

My husband had to leave town suddenly on a business trip, and the first time I was alone here I was in the middle of that book. It's hard to put down once you stop.

Reading it when I was alone was HUGE mistake, of course. I left the lights on and didn't sleep a wink all night.

Part of the reason I was so spooked is that it is somewhat rural where we live, no sidewalks or streetlights, and most of the houses are set way off the road. Lesson learned!

@CFS_for_19_years, this has nothing to do with the thread, so apologies for going off topic, but is it Ann Rule that you know who worked with Bundy at the suicide hotline in Seattle? Were you living in Seattle and old enough to be aware of the missing women at the time?
I went to Central Washington University, where he probably grabbed one student and tried to grab a couple more in the parking lot a few decades earlier. One of the failed attempts was the mother of a girl who lived in the same dorm that I was in.

Ted Bundy is the reason that there's now blue emergency lights all over campuses in Washington, which can be activated to signal for help.

perchance dreamer

@Valentijn, I once visited a friend going to school in Ellensburg, and she told me the same thing about Bundy.

Part of the reason I was so interested in the story is that I lived in the Seattle area part of the 80s and still visit family and friends there. So I recognized a lot of the places mentioned in the book.

A friend of mine lives in Olympia, and during the time when girls were disappearing, she was sunbathing at a local lake,a little distance away from the other people there that day.

A guy approached her and asked her to help him move his boat. She refused, thinking it odd that he would ask a small woman when there were guys a short distance away.

She said he had different hair color and was probably someone else, but it still chilled her.