• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High Cortisol and High DHEA levels. Any toughts?

Folk

So I got High Cortisol and DHEA levels in my blood tests
I've been feeling pretty strange for the last week, with hard time concentrating and seeing properly. It's like I'm high or something. In a bad way. I've never had brain fog before.

I had horrible gut issues with pain and bloating when I was making my best improvment ever just with diet and exercises (as I said in another topic). So that made me really stressed too...

Do you guys have any toughts on that? Is it probably the high levels of Cortisol and DHEA the cause for my head/vision confusion? And also, anyone know how to fix it? (I'm getting better slowly from my gut problems... but this seems to me getting worse)

Edit: forgot to mention. I'm pretty sure that the dizziness gets a lot worse after eating a lot of carbs...

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
So I got High Cortisol and DHEA levels in my blood tests

What time of day was cortisol tested? In a "healthy" person cortisol is higher in the morning and declines until it is low in the evening allowing sleep. In many ME/CFS patients this curve is reversed -- low in the morning, higher in the evening.

Sushi

Folk

It was tested in the morning. But it was higher than the normal range.
According to the doctors I have FM btw

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
It was tested in the morning. But it was higher than the normal range.
According to the doctors I have FM btw

If you could post the actual numbers plus references ranges it would make things a lot easier, plus knowing your age and gender would help. DHEA declines with age and the reference ranges are usually broken down by age group. A 35-year-old person will have more DHEA than someone who is 60. A lab might give a lower reference range for someone who is 60, but that person might feel their best when they are in the normal range for someone who is 35.

I forget if it's the cortisol/DHEA ratio or DHEA/cortisol ratio that is used to determine hormone balance. That is another reason why it would be good to see the actual numbers.

Folk

Hey, here's the numbers:

CORTISOL
Results: 28,7 µg/dL
Reference: Morning 7 - 10 hours: 6,2 - 19,4 µg/dL
Afternoon 16 - 20 hours: 2,3 - 11,9 µg/dL

HORMÔNIO DEHIDROEPIANDROSTERONA (DHEA)
Results: 18,4 ng/mL

Reference:
Woman: 1 a 12 ng/mL
Man: 3 a 11 ng/mL

Aerose91

The first stage of adrenal fatigue is high cortisol, dhea and pregnenolone. I'm not saying it's that but it could be. Dr Lam is the best reference when it comes to the cycles. If it is in fact that now is the time to tend to it because you can easily remedy it.

drob31

The first stage of adrenal fatigue is high cortisol, dhea and pregnenolone. I'm not saying it's that but it could be. Dr Lam is the best reference when it comes to the cycles. If it is in fact that now is the time to tend to it because you can easily remedy it.

I'm not sure I agree 100% with this. Cortisol can go from low to high to low based on what the PVN wants. It could be caused by something else like inflammation or infection. The adrenal glands don't get "fatigued."

Aerose91

I'm not sure I agree 100% with this. Cortisol can go from low to high to low based on what the PVN wants. It could be caused by something else like inflammation or infection. The adrenal glands don't get "fatigued."
You're right, it has all to do with the PVN and nothing to do with the adrenal glands but they have no bearing on how cortisol levels fluctuate. Usually adrenal hormones are raised due to any number of factors; lack of sleep, chronic infections, blue light, emf exposure, excessive emotional/physical stress etc.. During this stimulation phase adrenal hormones rise to compensate for said stress which is where the PVN starts losing it's ability to acutely sense the environment and ultimately an adrenal crash ensues. The crash can't come before the stimulation, though and these altered signals are brought on by brain toxicity.

Aerose91

hi,
I am the same. i posted here: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/high-cortisol-levels-help-needed.32802/#post-506564
High cortisol and DHEA, but ratio is ok.
@Aerose91 who's Dr Lam.

I have tried adaptogens to help make it more neutral, need to recheck them.

@gregh286
It may not be that at all, I'm just throwing out one possibility but regardless, something is stimulating you to cause high cortisol. Could be any number of body stressors.

Dr Lam is a doctor who has written out probably the most in depth research of adrenal fatigue cycles. However, he (and most other AF doctors) are behind the curve on the cause (as mentioned, the PVN not the adrenal al glands) but has tracked the phases very well.