• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rambler's Mold Avoidance Experiments

slayadragon

Here is a blog by an ME/CFS patient from San Francisco (not me! someone else) who decided to try extreme mold avoidance. So far so good, it seems!

Best, Lisa

Here is a quick summary of the symptom changes I experienced in those 2 weeks:
* no insomnia or nocturnal awakenings- slept through night every night (9 pm- 5 or 6 am)
* less brain fog
* clearer vision
* more energy, especially in morning
* less orthostatic intolerance
* almost no tingling in hands and feet
* no all-day tremulous feeling

Some symptoms still persisted:
* My brain wasn't 100%-- I still had problems with concentration
* Continued to feel like I couldn't get a deep breath (i.e. air hunger)
* Still had seemingly random waves of exhaustion (better than all-day exhaustion)
* Didn't feel 100% physically, although I could hike without crashing

http://ramblingsearcher.blogspot.com/

searcher

I just stumbled upon this post by @slayadragon when I was looking at some analytics on my blog.
I thought I would write a quick update on how mild mold avoidance has helped me 2 1/2 years later in case my experience will help someone considering it. Note: I have done extreme avoidance a few times for a total of a month or so but mostly have focused on living in healthy environments since then. I used to live in a moldy house in San Francisco and now live in a seemingly mold-free house in Hawaii.

* I sleep through the night 90% of the time, although I often wake up earlier than I would prefer.
* My brain fog is much improved, which I partially attribute to the change of environment (San Francisco->Hawaii) and partially to reishi.
* My vision is hardly ever blurry anymore! I can't believe I used to try for years to read while the words were swimming on the page or screen.
* My energy levels still fluctuate, but I can now leave the house without adderall most days, after four years of not being able to leave the house w/o stimulants.
* I still spend most of my time lying down, but I don't notice obvious POTS symptoms when I am standing any more.
* I very rarely have tingling in hands and feet.
* I never have the all-day tremulous feeling, although I do sometimes have it for a few hours.

* My brain is still not 100% due to the same problems with concentration. I can write more though.
* Air hunger is still persisting :(
* I have fewer random waves of exhaustion, although they still happen when I overdo it.
* I can walk for miles without getting obvious PEM, but can't do much aerobic activity without paying.

searcher

Hi @Christopher- I've been spending a lot of time on HealClick and elsewhere so haven't had a chance to write a proper blog post for awhile. I have experimented with full-scale avoidance, but at this point I just do moderate avoidance. I have an outdoor shower though and do shower if I have been in an obviously bad building.