• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Got 23andMe results & questions!

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Hi folks...

My 23 and Me results are in - listed in my signature.

My results are not surprising... as I have symptoms of fatigue, glutathione deficiency, poor methylation.

----

I interpret the MTHFR C667 to mean my folate metabolism is significantly impaired - I need to take methylfolate. (I tried a multivitamin containing methylfolate and high dose B vitamins and I was overstimulated. I am going to try again with a low Bs multi.)

I interprets the MTRR A667 and MTR A2756G to mean I have problems with B12 recycling and that I need more B12 than the average person. This site says "You can address the MTRR A66G mutation by taking methyl-B12 supplements, usually in doses of 1,000-2,000 mcg per day. If you have both an MTRR A66G mutation and an MTR A2756G mutation, you may want to consider higher doses, up to 5,000 mcg per day."

Questions:

1.) What about MAO-A R297R?

2.) What about the possibility of having CBS / Sulfur / ammonia issues with one hetero CBS mutation and a couple hetero BHMTs?

3.) What does detox mutation CYP2D6 mean?

Thank you for any speculative or nuanced "big picture" interpretation of these results!

Last edited:

sregan

I have MTRR and TCN1, TCN2 homozygous SNPs. I could not beleive how much MethylB12 helped me. I take only 1 to 5 mcgs a day just depending how I feel.

I have these as well. The MAO-A SNP leads to a faster breakdown of serotonin leading to low serotonin levels. Magnesium and zinc(?) is a cofactor for this gene.

My understanding that the MAO-A is a down regulation leading to a SLOWER breakdown of Serotonin and thus a possible Buildup of that.

From: http://geneticgenie.org/methylation-analysis-example/

MAO-A R297R
MAO-A (Monoamine oxidase A) is a critical enzyme involved in breaking down important neurotransmitters such as serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine. While a homozygous (+/+) mutation is very common, prolonged periods of stress, violence, or trauma can lead to epigenetic changes that further decrease enzyme activity. On the table above, males only have one allele since the gene is inherited through from their mother since it is located on the X chromosome. Males are more likely to have this mutation, represented on the table as homozygous (+). Only females can be heterozygous (+/-) for this mutation. When a (+/+) MAO-A mutation is combined with a (+/+) or (+/-) COMT V158M mutation, one may be more prone to develop Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), mood swings, aggressive and/or violent behavior, and personality disorders. Chronic infection can deplete tryptophan stores, and this can be tested with an organic acid test (OAT) and urine amino acid tests (UAA) according to Dr. Yasko. This test may indicate high levels of 5HIAA (5-hydroxy indole acetic acid).

Last edited:

Sherpa

Based on personal experience, not any genetic theory, I would say that my serotonin is either inadequately produced or broken down too soon.

I definitely have had a lifelong tendency towards LOW serotonin (depression, eating carbs to boost mood)... and I have been greatly soothed and helped by taking L-tryptophan supplements over the years.

Last edited:

Sherpa

Use the SNPs Interpretation Guide linked in my signature to interpret.

Thanks for your excellent guide @caledonia. I used it to interpret my own results. It was helpful.

Also many thanks for "Start Low and Go Slow." Before trying any methylation supplements I didn't fully "grasp" the concepts in it - but now after trying a round of methylation it's crystal clear. Will be very useful for Round Two.

caledonia

Thanks for your excellent guide @caledonia. I used it to interpret my own results. It was helpful.

Also many thanks for "Start Low and Go Slow." Before trying any methylation supplements I didn't fully "grasp" the concepts in it - but now after trying a round of methylation it's crystal clear. Will be very useful for Round Two.

You're welcome - good luck with Round Two!