• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone using MCT oil, if so what brand?

Ema

I tried both Bulletproof and NOW. I didn't notice any differences between them and the NOW is much cheaper.

perchance dreamer

I used NuMedica MCT oil a couple of times to make bulletproof coffee. I loved the flavor, and it certainly gave me more pep which lasted longer than coffee alone, but it had a bad effect on my sleep the few times I tried it.

I also had another reaction: an extremely large bowel movement within about 45 minutes of drinking it. Ack! Sorry!!! Regular coconut oil does not have that effect on me.

Bansaw

I used NuMedica MCT oil a couple of times to make bulletproof coffee. I loved the flavor, and it certainly gave me more pep which lasted longer than coffee alone, but it had a bad effect on my sleep the few times I tried it.

I also had another reaction: an extremely large bowel movement within about 45 minutes of drinking it. Ack! Sorry!!! Regular coconut oil does not have that effct on me.
Re: sleep, did you take it in the morning? (Coffee more than anything else turns me into a zombie because of my Methylation pathway issues.) I heard MCT oil was way more powerful than coconut oil. Although I will finish off my coconut oil because of the mental benefits etc. But MCT apparently might help my energy levels and ketones.

Gingergrrl

I used NuMedica MCT oil a couple of times to make bulletproof coffee.

My husband drinks bulletproof coffee every morning with butter and MCT oil and all kinds of weird stuff in it and I didn't realize anyone else did that!!!

I tried MCT oil a few times by NOW (both the liquid and pill versions) but my stomach could not tolerate it and it made me very sick. I don't plan to ever try it again.

undcvr

There is a big catch with MCT oil for the CFS comm. It is an antiviral/fungal n yeast n at the amounts taken for the bulletproof recipe can trigger a detox in the gut, especially when taken on an empty stomach. Some of the detox reactions with mct oil are mistaken for a side effect, this isn't quite true. The carbon 8 n 10 can be used in candida infections.

The other aspect of taking it by itself on an empty stomach (try nvr to do this btw) is that it hits your bloodstream too much and too fast at the same time. Some pple get a jittery reaction even when there is not caffeine involved. Many reactions only occur when mct is taken by itself on an empty stomach.
The bulletproof recipe of using a blender and an oil actually SLOWS DOWN the intake of the mct oil creating a smooth long lasting release that can last a good half of the day. Or just take it after your breakfast meal but take it after food or with an oil.

outdamnspot

I switched from Coconut Oil to MCT Oil in my coffee (1 tablespoon, 2x per day) a week ago .. I'm also on a Ketogenic diet. Not sure if it's a coincidence, but I've been struggling with an almost narcoleptic tiredness; my sleep schedule isn't great as is, but currently I feel almost drugged whenever I'm awake. Is it possible this could be some kind of 'die-off' related to the MCT Oil?

dreamydays

C8 MCT oil is the best, it delivers more ketone energy to the brain. Overall its quite a good product. I use LLS primal energy brand. The C8 is the key thing to look for as these are much more powerful than normal MCT.

outdamnspot

I was wondering if anyone here knew much about MCT Oil? I was using a generic MCT oil, and didn't notice much, aside from the aforementioned drowsiness in my last post.

I ran out, then went back to coconut oil, then bought a 'practitioner' brand that is very high in C8, with a small percentage of C6 and C10.

I took 1 tablespoon on the first day and was waylaid completely .. which I assumed was some kind of die-off, perhaps?

Since trying the MCT Oil, I've actually noticed *more* episodes of what feels like low blood sugar/hunger, which seems odd, and also more nausea. To try and ease into it, I had been combining 1 teaspoon with coconut oil in my coffee, but read doing this will actually blunt the Ketone increase from MCT oil.

Typically, I wake up and have 2 cups of coffee (on an empty stomach) and fast until my first meal (I'm on a Ketogenic diet).

I've been wondering if I should stick to the coconut oil with my coffee, and maybe just take 1tsp of the MCT Oil after a meal, or maybe before bed, to try and curb the stomach upset.