• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Transdermal B12 with DMSO - Has anyone tried it

nomad

Anyone interested in a London Support group?
Not having much success with sublingual B12 - whichever brand I try (apart from Jarrows) doesn't stay longer then 30 seconds in my mouth. Thinking of mixing DMSO with powdered B12 tablets.

Has anyone tried it, any suggestions ?

helen1

Even Enzymatic Therapy doesn't stay longer than 30 seconds? I can keep them in for over an hour.

But have switched to transdermal oils in the past 2 weeks and that's going very well. Ordered both mB12 and adB12 from TransdermOil, which is absorbed well into skin. It's expensive though.

PeterPositive

Yeah, that seems strange. The Enzymatic Therapy under the tongue takes at least 20 minutes... unless you have a highly corrosive saliva :wide-eyed::)

Nah, seriously... you should keep it under your tongue and not let it go any place in your mouth. Just stick it down there and don't talk until it's fully dissolved. It will last 15 min. at least.

nomad

@helen1 thanks, haven't tried Enzymatic Therapy, just had a look on iherb and only found it 1000mcg tablets. Any place i can get hold of 5000mcg tablets (I'm in the UK)?

@pela thanks for the link. Looks like DMSO and B12 tablets have been tried with success. I'll be trying a crushed/powdered B12 mixed with DMSO (60%) and distilled water (40%). Though it would be good to get hold of a B12 tablet without any other added ingredients

helen1

@nomad, nope they don't have 5 mg. Just the 1. Country Life has a pretty good one at 5 mg that Freddd recommends. It does dissolve pretty quick though.

South

A couple of sources for pure methylB12 without sweeteners or fillers, from a different thread (I'll put link to that thread at end of this post) --
http://www.superiornutraceuticals.c...N&Product_Code=MethlyB12P&Category_Code=OAASN

http://www.bio-alternatives.net/b12.htm

If you read through the following thread, people go back and forth trying to find out more about those 2 sources, and by the end of the thread I think several people got more info from those sources and then bought from them:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/methylcobalamin-inhalation-therapy.33045/page-3

Hip

Water or alcohol (ethanol) are just as good at getting vitamin B12 through the skin as DMSO. See the following:
Because of the reports that dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) enhances the percutaneous absorption of many organic molecules, experiments were conducted in the laboratory rat to determine whether DMSO would bring about the absorption of vitamin B12. Somewhat unexpectedly, it was observed that the vitamin was well absorbed through the skin from either DMSO, an ethanolic or aqueous solution.

Source: here.

You might find that the highly concentrated liquid B12 products detailed in this post are useful for transdermal application.

Last edited:

sueami

Freddd no longer recommends the Country Life 5 mg, last I read, because he wasn't absorbing it well.

Also, you might try putting the tablet under your upper lip to help it dissolve slower. The saliva pools at the bottom of your mouth, so under tongue or against lower gum will be wetter than under the upper lip.

I second the B12 transdermoil. I am feeling it is more effective than sublinguals. I find it not that much more expensive than the Enyzmatic therapy tablets, given how many of them I had to take to get an effective dose in. $40 a bottle (when buying 3 or more and they have a long shelf-life so that is feasible) gives 60 doses of 750mcg each of the mb12, with an estimated absorption of 80 percent, according to some animal studies the developer did.

nomad

@nomad, nope they don't have 5 mg. Just the 1. Country Life has a pretty good one at 5 mg that Freddd recommends. It does dissolve pretty quick though.

I've tried the Country Life one, and yes it dissolved within seconds ! Given how quickly it dissolved I think it might be perfect for use in a transdermal preparation.

@South thanks for those two sources :) Wow the powder option is pretty impressive, as is the pure liquid. And the price is very affordable, I'll get in touch to see if they deliver to the UK. I'd love the powder option, but I can't see how I would weigh a 5000mcg dose

@Hip That's interesting. I can ditch the DMSO and just use water. Wasn't too keen on using DMSO so this is good. Thanks :) The hydroxo-12 scientific botanicals B12 in the link you posted is very interesting. And it's 1000mcg per drop, perfect for nasal mucous membranes.

@sueami Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited: