• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tips to ease troubles in the abdomen(stomach)

optimist

Hi!

Not sure why I haven't asked this question before, but here goes:

One of my main problems is a messed up digestion. If my stomach feels fine, I normally get a good day, but when it does not I normally get a bad day with fatigue and brainfog, pluss, pluss... The three things that has been super helpful is:
  1. To stop eating every thing that I can figure out has a negative effect on me (especially starchy food, but actually most foods with carbs).
  2. Broad spectrum digestion enzymes
  3. Salt
But still I have a lot of problems. Normally, if I go to long between meals my stomach fills up with acid, and it gets uncomfortable. The cure is to eat or take acid neutralizers, either from the pharmacy or baking soda. Also when I go to bed and lie down, my stomach often becomes very acidic. If its too much, I can almost be sure that I will get very active and stressful dreams, and I will wake up more or less as tired as I was when I went to bed.

Do any one experience similar things, or have experienced? Any suggestions on how to better the stomach?

Even simple (and obvious) things will be very much appreciated!

optimist

Well, I believe it is acid. Some people say that no acid can feel like too much acid, or that it could even be gall...

optimist

Thanks @CFS_for_19_years! I have gotten a bit scared of probiotics, as the first time I tried I got extremely nauseous. But, perhaps I should try again, very slowly with a low dose.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Thanks @CFS_for_19_years! I have gotten a bit scared of probiotics, as the first time I tried I got extremely nauseous. But, perhaps I should try again, very slowly with a low dose.

I don't know if this product interests you, seeing how you would need to have it shipped to Norway:
http://www.seekinghealth.com/probiota-12-powder-seeking-health.html

It's the same product as I linked in my prior post, but this time as a loose powder, so you can take very small doses using a measuring spoon. It's to be taken with the evening meal. Taking it with food and in a small dose could help with nausea. This is the product I use.

There are probably some brands available in your local shops you could try.

optimist

It looks very interesting that product, and especially as it has some many strains. We have about the most restrictive rules in the world when it comes to supplements, and I am not sure what the rules for importing probiotics are, but I risk that they confiscate it at the border, and perhaps a fine if I don't do my homework first :) For example B12 - the maximum allowed amount pr. pill is something like 9mcg :/

Getting it in powder form is a great idea!

I have a jar in the fridge since my last attempt, and I now opened one capsule and pored out half of it, and took it with some food. The capsules have 8 billion bacteria, so they are a lot weaker than the ones you suggested,

Martial

If you get a reaction from probiotics it means its working, I would stay on them for a while to notice big improvements, also low stomach acid can cause GERD which sounds like some of what you are mentioning. Just keep working on healing the gut and taking digestive enzymes with meals. Gut dysbiosis is not a quick fix after all. Low b12 status can also cause GERD and some of those symptoms. Don't worry about a toxicity limit as non synthetic b12 doesn't have one, something to look into though.

Valentijn

@optimist - I've had a great deal of improvement regarding food intolerances by taking Creon 150 with meals. I skip if I'm eating something I know is 100% safe, but if there's any doubt, I take the Creon. My Dutch insurance covers it, even though it's prescribed by a Belgian doctor (they don't cover other things).

I've also been taking VSL#3 probiotics daily, but no idea how much impact that's having.

JAM

Jill
My grandmother had great success treating what sounds like a similar condition with apple cider vinegar. I make a drink with 2 oz ACV, a hefty tablespoon of honey, ginger, salt, and cayenne pepper to taste, in about 24 oz of water. One of those things that is worth a try and has almost no chance of causing harm. Good luck!

Daffodil

Aside from probiotics, there is a new product called Tasectan. Not sure if it would be appropriate for your situation but you might want to look into it.

xo

optimist

Wow! I love you guys :D This gets me very exited that I can manage to fix stomach!

@Martial I will keep on taking the probiotics. I tried a whole capsule with breakfast today, and it went OK! Is GERD getting acid in the esophagous? If so, I do not suffer from that... Thanks for also mentioning the term Dysbiosis, that was new to me, and I want to look into that! I was also not aware that B12 could be an issue with digestion. This whole methylation stuff is still too far above my head, but I see that you guys recomend Methyl B12, does this also count for digestion issues, or just methylation?

@Valentijn I could not find Creon 150, but 10000 (http://www.inhousepharmacy.biz/p-1016-creon-10000-pancreatin-150mg.aspx)

@JAM Thanks! I have that vinegar in the fridge! :) Have barely tried it, but will try do a more thorough test of it!

@MeSci Thanks for the links! I will have a look when my head clears up :)

@Daffodil That one seemed to be for diarreah? Or can it be used for digestion too?

Again - love you guys! :)

Daffodil

hi optimist. I am actually not sure but it might be worth it to ask a doctor about Tasectan. I think it is mainly for diarrhea but it seems like it might help other things..?

Hello. I use herbal extracts in rotation every day to help with a variety of digestion issues. The ones I like to use are Gentian, Dandelion, Burdock (Blend), Yellow Dock, and Milk Thistle. (all from Herb Pharm on Amazon). I use these every day--they are bitters which are great for disgestion. I like to use them individually---then I can gauge my response to each herb ---I can't do that if I take something like "Swedish Bitters". Anyway, an herbalist called Susun Weed (really!) has been very helpful in understanding what individual herbs can and cannot do --her websites are quite informative. She describes herself as simpler--that is, an herbalist who generally uses herbs one at a time rather than in combination.
Cheers,
Silverseas2014

optimist

Hi @silverseas2014! I have also found some herbs useful, but I was taking them in the form of Bitterstern. It helped me when I ate fat and started to get nausious. I suppose it is the bitterness that triggers bile production?? which again properly deals with the fat.

I have more recently figured out that the whole issue with gettins nasious when eating fat was relattted to drinking coffee... when I stoped drinking coffee, I no longer get nausious. Not sure why!

I have also just read somewhere here on PR that the stomach issues can be caused by methylation issues. I hope to get started with Freddd's protocol in not too long. Just have to read tons and tons of pages and posts first so I know what I am doing and what I am supposed to do :)