• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help me understand high blood calcium and vitamin D?

NilaJones

I was tested yesterday, and I have high blood calcium. The usual cause for that is parathyroid problems, but it can also come from taking to much vitamin D, and that may be my issue. Vit D was not tested -- I will try to get both tests, but that may take a while.

I have been on an involuntary juice fast for two weeks, too nauseous for anything else, and am now quite sick. I think the lack of food is a factor,. And i think the high calcium may be the cause of the nausea.

I have been taking 2g of calcium a day for about 6 months, because I get very painful leg cramps at night if I reduce the dose. (Also taking 1g of magnesium for balance, max bowel tolerance.) Stopped taking vit d in late summer, started again a month ago.

My questions:

- If I stop taking vit D but continue with calcium, will my blood calcium go down? I know vit D can persist in the body a long time.

- Is there something else i can try for leg pain? Magnesium, zinc, copper, and iron all affect different types of leg pain for me, not this one. And I take them.

- The pain the calcium helps with is what I think of as princess and the pea syndrome. The tiniest wrinkle in the sheet below my leg cause intense pain. It's bizarre. And it goes away with calcium. Does anyone else have this?

Thanks so much for any insight you can offer, on any aspect of this.

halcyon

Have you tried to increase potassium intake for the leg pain? It's really odd to me that calcium helps with that. Is it like a deep bone pain or a shallow muscle pain?

In theory lowering vitamin D intake could lower your blood calcium levels back down, but this is assuming your parathyroid hormone levels are responding normally. I would get your 25(OH)D (aka calcidiol) and 1,25(OH)2D (aka calcitriol) levels checked as well as parathyroid hormone (PTH) level.

NilaJones

Have you tried to increase potassium intake for the leg pain? It's really odd to me that calcium helps with that. Is it like a deep bone pain or a shallow muscle pain?

Yes, I tried potassium first, but it had no effect.

The pain the calcium helps with is what I think of as princess and the pea syndrome. The tiniest wrinkle in the sheet below my leg cause intense pain. It's bizarre. And it goes away with calcium. Does anyone else have this?

In theory lowering vitamin D intake could lower your blood calcium levels back down, but this is assuming your parathyroid hormone levels are responding normally. I would get your 25(OH)D (aka calcidiol) and 1,25(OH)2D (aka calcitriol) levels checked as well as parathyroid hormone (PTH) level.

Thank you :).

NilaJones

Thanks, @Gondwanaland! I need to wake up a bit more before I dive into it, but the Weston Price article looks like it may be very good for explaining the biochemistry. I really need that :).

Warning for others who might click -- the first link opens a LOUD youtube video. Don't click if people are sleeping nearby.

Last edited: