• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

1-methylhistidine extremely high, what does this mean?

jason30

Hi all,

This is my first post, i am reading on this forum already for a long time. Now i have decided to register, and my first action is a question about my blood results.
I am diagnosed me/cfs and fibromyalgy.

Last week i have received my results of the amino acid analysis through 24 hours urine.1-methylhistidine has been elevated alot, it's extremely high.

1-methylhistidine: 973 umol/24u (normal range: 128 - 392)
3-methylhistidine: 216 (this is good).

A google search gave me a probably leaky gut syndrome (http://www.aminoacid....com/blog/?p=11).

Can anyone tell me more about an elevated 1-methylhistidine? Can it be lowered with food/supplements?

Thanks in advance.

1-methylhistidine: 973 umol/24u (normal range: 128 - 392)
3-methylhistidine: 216 (this is good).
It would be elevated due to breaking down muscle or meat. It could be due to damage done to your muscles, or it could be from eating a lot of meat.

Were your beta-alanine, carnosine, and anserine levels normal?

jason30

Hi Valentijn,
Thank you for your reaction.

Hereby a summary of other amino's which are not normal:
GABA: 3 umol/24u ( 7 - 35)
Methionine: 7 umol/24u (16-62)
Phenylalanine: 30 umol/24u (31 - 95)
Tyrosine: 36 umol/24u (40 - 168)
Phosphoethanolamine: 16 umol/24u (19 - 55)
1-methylhistidine: 973 umol/24u (128 - 392)

Normal are:
Anserine: 28 umol/24u ( 0 - 46)
Carnosine: 25 umol/24u ( 0 - 98)
beta-alanine: 25 umol/24u ( 0 - 51)

I have read that when 1-methylhistidine is elevated, then it could be a leaky gut, source: (http://www.aminoacid....com/blog/?p=11)

jason30

That definitely applies to me because i do not eat much meat and there is not much protein in my diet (yet).

Do you know if the 1-methylhistidine levels could be lowered by intake of amino acid's?

Thanks again.