• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

is there a vegetarian source of EPA?

ebethc

I've been taking DHA sourced from algae the past couple of days and it's been a big help w inflammation. I'm not a vegetarian in general, but the vegetarian DHA is much easier for my body to process.

Is there a vegetarian source of EPA? Is it okay to take DHA alone? What does EPA do vs DHA?

thanks

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I've been taking DHA sourced from algae the past couple of days and it's been a big help w inflammation. I'm not a vegetarian in general, but the vegetarian DHA is much easier for my body to process.

Is there a vegetarian source of EPA? Is it okay to take DHA alone? What does EPA do vs DHA?

thanks

Yes, you can get algal EPA. I don't know what country you're in so don't know what brands to suggest. I take a combined EPA and DHA algal supplement, although it has more DHA than EPA, and I think that the reverse is supposed to be better.

There is info about both here, but annoyingly they use the term 'fish oil' even though they include reference to algal sources.