• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does Tramadol damage your gut?

ebethc

I've read that NSAID's damage your gut; does anyone know if Tramadol damages the gut, too?

thanks

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
it would seem this is possible

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/tramadol-side-effects.html
http://arthritis.about.com/od/ultram/a/tramadol.htm
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a695011.html

Things work differently for different people, though. One day we'll have gene tests that tell us what will be effective and safest in our case. In the meantime, we get trial and error, and educated guesses.

The trick is to find what works the best with the least side effects for you. Hopefully you have a doc who is willing to discuss your options and try a few things with you.

Martial

It can aggravate stomach bleeding and ulcers, not as damaging directly as say antibiotics. I would be more worried about kidney damage first.

end

Tramadol also interacts with almost all antidepressants as it stops/slows the break down of serotonin = Serotonin Sydrome potentially fatal

Also elicits a histamine response in 30% of the patients who use it

I speak from personal ER experience

ebethc

Tramadol also interacts with almost all antidepressants as it stops/slows the break down of serotonin = Serotonin Sydrome potentially fatal

Also elicits a histamine response in 30% of the patients who use it

I speak from personal ER experience

@end - Not taking any ssri's/snri's, but I can't tell if I have a histamine or mast cell problem... I'm going to talk to my doc about it next time.. I've taken benedryl w no luck, so this rules out some histamine problems... not sure if histamine & mast cell issues are the same thing..

thanks for the reply

ebethc

It can aggravate stomach bleeding and ulcers, not as damaging directly as say antibiotics. I would be more worried about kidney damage first.

@Martial - thanks for the reply... I've been feeling really lousy all week and am wondering if tramadol is doing me more harm than good... what do you take for pain? (joint pain, headache, general aches & pains.. swollen sinuses dues to incoming rainstorm)

ebethc

it would seem this is possible

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/tramadol-side-effects.html
http://arthritis.about.com/od/ultram/a/tramadol.htm
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a695011.html

Things work differently for different people, though. One day we'll have gene tests that tell us what will be effective and safest in our case. In the meantime, we get trial and error, and educated guesses.

The trick is to find what works the best with the least side effects for you. Hopefully you have a doc who is willing to discuss your options and try a few things with you.
@WillowJ - thanks for the reply & links.. What do you take for pain? I've been miserable the past week...

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
@WillowJ - thanks for the reply & links.. What do you take for pain? I've been miserable the past week...

I use a prescription NSAID. this is not a perfect solution, but ignoring things is not an option, either.

Also, I get super-light massage from someone who is really careful and listens closely (in the past with someone not so careful, it didn't go well, but with someone very careful, it helps me).

I'm sorry you've been miserable. :( That's really difficult. I hope something works out for you.

Martial

@Martial - thanks for the reply... I've been feeling really lousy all week and am wondering if tramadol is doing me more harm than good... what do you take for pain? (joint pain, headache, general aches & pains.. swollen sinuses dues to incoming rainstorm)

I don't take things for pain, just inflammation. The best things have been curcumin, and fermented fish cod liver oil, along with an anti inflammatory paleo style diet, though I add in things like yams, and goat dairy. A few other herbs I take are also anti inflammatory but nothing too drastic. I would stop the tramadol, people that are sick can be allergic to salicayltes in those kind of drugs, on top of it toxic for the body. I'm sorry to hear you are not well, I hope you can find something to get improvement soon!

p.s. I only say stop if this is something not prescribed by your doctor or something. Can't really say medical advice kind of stuff on here haha

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I don't know if Tramadol damages the gut, but I couldn't tolerate it because it gave me a belly ache, like I had eaten spicy food for a week. It did help with some muscle pain for the short time I took it.

I'm on a ton of pain medication. I have fibro and find that Lyrica (pregabalin) helps the most with that all-over achy feeling. The relief I get from Lyrica feels somewhat similar to Tramadol.

ebethc

I don't take things for pain, just inflammation. The best things have been curcumin, and fermented fish cod liver oil, along with an anti inflammatory paleo style diet, though I add in things like yams, and goat dairy. A few other herbs I take are also anti inflammatory but nothing too drastic. I would stop the tramadol, people that are sick can be allergic to salicayltes in those kind of drugs, on top of it toxic for the body. I'm sorry to hear you are not well, I hope you can find something to get improvement soon!

p.s. I only say stop if this is something not prescribed by your doctor or something. Can't really say medical advice kind of stuff on here haha

@Martial - I have a lot of inflammation, so I think that if I can bring down my inflammation, then my pain will be better.. I"ve read that curcumin has a lot of sulfur (I have CBS/BHMT mutations)... Do you know if that's true?
How is fermented cod liver oil better than regular cod liver oil?
What else do you take for inflammation?
I'm doing the auto-immune paleo diet, with some exceptions (I eat nutmilks).. I fell off the wagon for a couple of weeks after taking arginine triggered my EBV, but now I'm back on it..

thanks!

ps I feel TERRIBLE before rainstorms.. all my inflammation & pain go through the roof. I experienced this over the weekend and even tramadol didn't help... It helps some days, but not others, which is weird.

Martial

@Martial - I have a lot of inflammation, so I think that if I can bring down my inflammation, then my pain will be better.. I"ve read that curcumin has a lot of sulfur (I have CBS/BHMT mutations)... Do you know if that's true?
How is fermented cod liver oil better than regular cod liver oil?
What else do you take for inflammation?
I'm doing the auto-immune paleo diet, with some exceptions (I eat nutmilks).. I fell off the wagon for a couple of weeks after taking arginine triggered my EBV, but now I'm back on it..

thanks!

ps I feel TERRIBLE before rainstorms.. all my inflammation & pain go through the roof. I experienced this over the weekend and even tramadol didn't help... It helps some days, but not others, which is weird.

It will definitely help but as far as high sulfur I can't really comment. I don't know enough about it to say if it would be helpful in that case, you can try Japanese Knotweed and look into some other anti inflammatory type herbs though. Diet is one of the biggest helps, You can use regular cod liver oil as well. Either or works great in a lot of ways. You know I think rain is associated with excess mold in the environment. Perhaps you have been exposed to too much mold and the rain makes symptoms worse do to increased mold spores in the air. I think a CIRS protocol could be very helpful in that case. Check out SurvivingMold.com

barbc56

Tramadol is not an anti inflammatory. It's the only pain reliever that works for me and doesn't make me drowsy or or high. It doesn't bother my stomach.

Your doctor or pharmacist should know how much Tramadol you can take if you are also taking an antidepressant. It works in a similar manner as antidepressant, which can also reduce pain, but you can't use tramadol alone as an antidepressant.

There are times I might not take it for a few days without any withdrawal symptoms, but I rarely go beyond a few days before I need the tramadol for pain relief. I have been on it for twelve years and am at the same dosage.

This has been my experience but you may react differently.

There is also an informative link in the following article but wanted to cite this article first as it deals directly with the fact that tramadol is not an anti inflammatory.

http://www.drugs.com/answers/tramadol-anti-inflammatory-613065.html

Good luck.

Barb

Last edited:

ebethc

Tramadol is not an anti inflammatory. It's the only pain reliever that works for me and doesn't make me drowsy or or high. It doesn't bother my stomach.

Your doctor or pharmacist should know how much Tramadol you can take if you are also taking an antidepressant. It works in a similar manner as antidepressant, which can also reduce pain, but you can't use tramadol alone as an antidepressant.

There are times I might not take it for a few days without any withdrawal symptoms, but I rarely go beyond a few days before I need the tramadol for pain relief. I have been on it for twelve years and am at the same dosage.

This has been my experience but you may react differently.

There is also an informative link in the following article but wanted to cite this article first as it deals directly with the fact that tramadol is not an anti inflammatory.

http://www.drugs.com/answers/tramadol-anti-inflammatory-613065.html

Good luck.

Barb

@barbc56 - Correct - tramadol is not an anti-inflammatory, however, inflammation increases pain for me. I have high CRP & SED rate.
I'm not taking any antidepressants... someone just mentioned that warning in this thread... .thanks for the link.