• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Olive Leaf Extract: Where to go from here?

JAM

Jill
I have been taking OLE since May for a life-long HHV-6/EBV infection and it has made me very ill every time I up my dose (herx reaction) and then I feel great for a while before deciding to up it again. I'm now up to 322mg oleuropein a day. The past 3 days all of my symptoms completely disappeared, but I feel nauseous immediately after taking the dose, which is new. Now I am trying to decide if I should up the dose again to see if I get another reaction and keep increasing the dose, or if I have gotten the viral load out of my tissue and should lower my dose to a maintenance dose. Any suggestions or experience with this situation? I don't want to lower the dose before I have gotten the viral load down, but would like to stop being nauseous for half an hour three times a day. Thanks.

ahmo

I feel nauseous immediately after taking the dose,
Nausea could be due to taking herb (OLE) along w/ oily supp or food. I found I need to take these things separately.

It's possible your nausea is liver's response to being overloaded. You might consider coffee enemas to assist liver in handling the load, getting these toxins out of your system.

JAM

Jill
I probably could, but it doesn't seem accurate enough to be worth it. I can tell from the way I feel that the load is WAY down, but I don't think the test will tell me any thing more than that. Do you think it would be worth it? If so why? I have insurance, but haven't bothered to go see a doc since I moved away from the one I trusted a year ago.

Rlman

I have been taking OLE since May for a life-long HHV-6/EBV infection and it has made me very ill every time I up my dose (herx reaction) and then I feel great for a while before deciding to up it again. I'm now up to 322mg oleuropein a day. The past 3 days all of my symptoms completely disappeared, but I feel nauseous immediately after taking the dose, which is new. Now I am trying to decide if I should up the dose again to see if I get another reaction and keep increasing the dose, or if I have gotten the viral load out of my tissue and should lower my dose to a maintenance dose. Any suggestions or experience with this situation? I don't want to lower the dose before I have gotten the viral load down, but would like to stop being nauseous for half an hour three times a day. Thanks.

Hi JAM, congrats on being symptom-free! Could you please share what product of OLE you are taking?

JalapenoLuv

That sounds like a very high dose. Immediate onset nausea is a protective mechanism telling you the body doesn't want what you're eating so I wouldn't ignore it.

If you're taking dry herb you could try switching to a liquid extract form. That way you could split the dose up and monitor the dose incrementally. Say do 10 drops in 2 oz water. wait 1 min. drink. check response. Repeat with fewer drops. etc. This works well for me.
https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-olive-leaf-liquid-extract-1-fl-oz-30-ml-liquid#label

JAM

Jill
Hi JAM, congrats on being symptom-free! Could you please share what product of OLE you are taking?
I take Barlean's 20ml 2x day and a whole leaf capsule standardized to 90mg made locally 2 at night. It took 5 months for me to work up to that dose. I started with 132mg a day of Barlean's spread out over 5 doses a day. Depending on the severity of your infection you may want to start out faster or all at once. I had severe reactions from even a small dose.

Last edited:

JAM

Jill
That sounds like a very high dose. Immediate onset nausea is a protective mechanism telling you the body doesn't want what you're eating so I wouldn't ignore it.

If you're taking dry herb you could try switching to a liquid extract form. That way you could split the dose up and monitor the dose incrementally. Say do 10 drops in 2 oz water. wait 1 min. drink. check response. Repeat with fewer drops. etc. This works well for me.
https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-olive-leaf-liquid-extract-1-fl-oz-30-ml-liquid#label
That is what I was thinking, but it would really suck to lower my dose, have the virus throw a party, and then have to do it all again.

I am taking half Barlean's liquid and half capsule. The response isn't that intense for me. I am just getting a little nauseous for a little while. I think I will try upping it to 500mg and see if I get any kind of herx response. If not I think I am safe in assuming my viral load is minimal and I can reduce my dose to a maintenance dose. Now, to figure out what an effective maintenance dose will be....

JalapenoLuv

That is what I was thinking, but it would really suck to lower my dose, have the virus throw a party, and then have to do it all again.

I am taking half Barlean's liquid and half capsule. The response isn't that intense for me. I am just getting a little nauseous for a little while. I think I will try upping it to 500mg and see if I get any kind of herx response. If not I think I am safe in assuming my viral load is minimal and I can reduce my dose to a maintenance dose. Now, to figure out what an effective maintenance dose will be....

You could try takuna from Nutramedix and see how it compares. I've had really good success with that for EBV and at a much lower dose than what you're taking. I started around 20 drops (max dose is 60 drops).

I'd love to hear the anti-viral mechanism for olive leaf. I can't find much info about it on medline.

Takuna works by sugar binding sites so it is important to take it 20 mins or so before eating. For one hour after taking it I wouldn't eat any sugars to let it work.

JAM

Jill
You could try takuna from Nutramedix and see how it compares. I've had really good success with that for EBV and at a much lower dose than what you're taking. I started around 20 drops (max dose is 60 drops).

I'd love to hear the anti-viral mechanism for olive leaf. I can't find much info about it on medline.

Takuna works by sugar binding sites so it is important to take it 20 mins or so before eating. For one hour after taking it I wouldn't eat any sugars to let it work.
There isn't much research on how OLE works, but it is working for me, so I'm going to stick with it for now. If I have problems later I will give Takuna a try. Thanks for the recommendation.

JalapenoLuv

I think you should try the Takuna now, it works at a much lower dose and that would save you money and give your body some relief for the liver, etc. It works very fast. You should notice improvement in a few days.

JAM

Jill
I think you should try the Takuna now, it works at a much lower dose and that would save you money and give your body some relief for the liver, etc. It works very fast. You should notice improvement in a few days.
Other than the mild nausea I have no symptoms. I'm just trying to figure out how to keep them all permanently at bay.

Rlman

I take Barlean's 20ml 2x day and a whole leaf capsule standardized to 90mg made locally 2 at night. It took 5 months for me to work up to that dose. I started with 132mg a day of Barlean's spread out over 5 doses a day. Depending on the severity of your infection you may want to start out faster or all at once. I had severe reactions from even a small dose.

JAM, thanks so much for the info! how come you added capsules rather than taking more of the Barlean's which evidently already worked? just to try it out?

JAM

Jill
JAM, thanks so much for the info! how come you added capsules rather than taking more of the Barlean's which evidently already worked? just to try it out?
Because they release into the blood stream more slowly, and I thought that would be better over-night to keep my tissues saturated with oleuropein.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
@JAM, I do not know enough about the accuracy of viral tests to know if it would be worth it. Since you don’t have a doc you trust, it sounds like a moot point.

JAM

Jill
@JAM, I do not know enough about the accuracy of viral tests to know if it would be worth it. Since you don’t have a doc you trust, it sounds like a moot point.
If I thought the test could tell me something that would change my plan I would go see any doc to get it. Just not sure it would have that effect.