• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hearing Heartbeat Sounds in Ear – Pulsatile Tinnitus

I have been experiencing pulsatile tinnitus (hearing a sound in my ear which is synchronised with my heartbeat) for approximately 6 months. This is different to usual tinnitus and can have several underlying causes which are usually vascular, but can also be systemic, including thyroid problems. I wondered if anyone else experiences this and whether this could be related to CFS/ME in some way?

lansbergen

I have been experiencing pulsatile tinnitus (hearing a sound in my ear which is synchronised with my heartbeat) for approximately 6 months. This is different to usual tinnitus and can have several underlying causes which are usually vascular, but can also be systemic, including thyroid problems. I wondered if anyone else experiences this and whether this could be related to CFS/ME in some way?

I had it for years and it disappeared with overall improvement.

halcyon

I experience pulsitile tinnitus on occasion, maybe a few times a month. I experience regular tinnitus all day every day. Both started very shortly after the vestibular neuritis which was caused by enterovirus infection.

How often is it occurring for you?

rosie26

I get the pulsating sound up the back of my neck and can hear it in my ears.

Last edited:

misskatniss

Got that too. Increases when normal tinnitus increases. I guess it´s a vascular thing and stress response. No clue about a cure, but drinking more and stabilising a little my BP was good. And rest!!

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I have the exact same thing. I had a thorough work-up - referral to ear-nose-throat doctor, hearing test, ultrasound of jugular veins, everything good.

Keeping blood pressure in check helps. I've also found two supplements that help: Ginkgo biloba and vinpocetine. They both help with cerebral blood flow. Here are the brands I take:

I take two of these capsules per day:
http://www.drvita.com/drvita-ginkgo-biloba-extract-120-mg-120-capsules-p/drv12496.htm

I take three of these capsules per day:
http://www.drvita.com/product-p/drv12304.htm

I notice a difference when I miss a dose.

snowathlete

I get this since my ME got worse, along with other cardio anomalies. I feel my heart beat which is faster and harder than normal and it shakes my body, limbs, head, etc.
I look forward to one day knowing what it is but I'm fairly sure it's ME related.

ukxmrv

I've had the flu off and on for a couple of months and one of the symptoms was that. I described it to my doctor and he told me that name. Also pain in my ears.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I’ve been experiencing it intermittently, and I know this might sound silly, but for some time I didn’t realise it was tinnitus and thought it was external noise from outside my home. Initially I only heard it at night, but now it’s becoming more frequent and I’m hearing it during the day too – standing and sitting as well as lying down.

It’s normal to hear your heartbeat in your ears from time to time, eg on exertion, in stressful situations or when you’ve had an infection, but when this is happening regularly it needs medical investigation because there may be something serious underlying it. It is usually caused by increased or turbulent blood flow or a greater awareness of normal blood flow.

My blood pressure is usually normal, and sometimes a bit low. Over the last year I’ve noticed my pulse rate is often below 60. I’ve got an appointment to see ENT in a few weeks.

Snowathlete, I too feel like my heart beat shakes my body at times. And I also feel like the blood is surging through my heart/chest sometimes, especially when I’m in bed. Weird sensations.

misskatniss

I sometimes think it is a side effect of POTS. Because it also gets better with more fluid intake. Don´t think it´s placebo, shah 78. But just guessing... :)

dan062

Been getting this too recently and glad to see others also experiencing this with ME/CFS and POTS (which I'm having bad at the moment). Everything I was reading on the internet was pointing to temporal arteritis as a cause, which seemed suspicious (I'd be interested to know if there have been any studies to show that we actually do suffer from vascular abnormalities).

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Yes - I started getting it a few years ago, just when I was trying to develop a business making nature videos, which required good hearing to edit the sound. I had to give up. :(

It's much rarer now. I suspect that it may have been linked to sinus congestion, which is now greatly reduced since I cut out gluten and reduced sugar and grain intake.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Been getting this too recently and glad to see others also experiencing this with ME/CFS and POTS (which I'm having bad at the moment). Everything I was reading on the internet was pointing to temporal arteritis as a cause, which seemed suspicious (I'd be interested to know if there have been any studies to show that we actually do suffer from vascular abnormalities).

Try this Phoenix Rising article.

jimells

I have it right now; I've had it for years. Like most of my symptoms, no doctor has ever taken the slightest interest in investigating it. Even after complaining that sometimes the tinnitus interferes with sleep, they ignore it.

At least now I know what to call it...