• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Would you try bacteriophage therapy?

Would you try Phage Therapy?

• Total voters

SB_1108

I've seen a few people mention phage therapy in the last several months but today I was reading Cort Johnson's interview with Dr. Courtney Craig and now I'm on a new search!

For those of you who haven't read the blog post, its pretty informative:
http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/201...myalgia-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-supplements/

I'm extremely hopeful about Dr. Lipkin's study because I've felt for a long time that my gut issues were at the center of all of my condition (I developed IBS almost 10 years prior to CFS). But I'm so impatient... Of course I don't want to wait until Lipkin finally receives the funds, starts/completes the study, the results are published and then someone somewhere does something with the results that MAY result in a cure. Seems like such a long time from now!

Anyway, Dr. Craig's discussion of phage therapy for CFS makes me highly optimistic!
http://www.drcourtneycraig.com/blog/2014/9/27/phage-therapy

I've noticed there is a clinic in Georgia (Country not State) that is doing phage therapy - its all I can do not to start planning my trip! hah! :)
http://www.phagetherapycenter.com/

Martial

Is this GI donor stool therapy? Or something different entirely?

edit* nevermind I read the link, does sound incredibly fascinating but I am sure it is also somewhat expensive.

snowathlete

Phage therapy has huge promise. I expect it will become a common treatment one day. It was only really put to one side because of the discovery of antibiotics, and now that they appear to be failing and we have a greater understanding of genetics, and better technology, bacteriaphages are being looked at again.

So I'd have it one day (though only for ME if it was proven relevant to the disease) But not yet. It's too early and needs more research and development.

Lou

Lou - I guess we were thinking the same thing at the same time.

Yes, and thanks for being guinea this time, I've done so in the past with other supplements but think i'll wait to hear what you say on this one. Hope it's a big help!

SB_1108

Well I'm updating sooner than I had planned. The distributor that I ordered from said that the Probiophage is on back order, indefinitely. So.... I guess I will have to wait.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I was told recently that bacteriophage therapy and research is banned in the EU and the US. It is happening in Russia though. Apparently they lack long term studies to show that there are no negative side effects.

Sushi

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I was told recently that bacteriophage therapy and research is banned in the EU and the US. It is happening in Russia though. Apparently they lack long term studies to show that there are no negative side effects.

Sushi
It's been used in Georgia (Eastern Europe) for decades. I wonder whether the ban is due to pressure from Big Pharma, who have a huge vested interest in standard antibiotics.