• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Weird detox(?) reaction...cracks in the side of my mouth

ebethc

I started a CBS protocol about a month ago, and last week got very sick...Yesterday, I woke up w a splitting headache and cracks on the side of my mouth and my lips were a little puffy.. I google my symptoms and came up with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_cheilitis... I've never had this before... Could this be caused by my protocol?

My doctor's protocol for me..
CLEAR AMMONIA:
· l-arginine 500mg in the AM (this esp helps the liver clear ammonia)
· l-ornithine 500mg in the PM
· l-citrulline 500mg in the PM
All three of these amino acids are components of the urea cycle and can help in clearing ammonia toxicity by increasing urea formation (thus the need for also supporting the kidney in its ability to excrete urea). L-Ornithine is especially important to the brain, as the brain does not have an ornithine related enzyme found in the rest of the body, that is needed to detoxify ammonia by metabolizing it to urea.

CLEAR HEAVY METALS:
· Zeolite: ACZ 2 sprays twice daily the first two weeks of each month-clear heavy metals, which compromise the other paths to breakdown ammonia

SUPPORT LIVER & KIDNEY:
· Silymarin Forte one daily (has sulfur, but as I said, my prob is more ammonia so I'm not as strict on avoiding sulfur right now..)
· Artichoke Extract one daily with food,
· Celery (food) daily, possibly even celery juice

ENERGY:
- Acetyl L-Carnitine - 500mg one daily in the AM, may help prevent ammonia related neurotoxic damage to the brain; brain antioxidant - better for mental energy than L-Carnitine Fumarate, which is better for physical / muscle energy.
- Ribose
- NADH
- Ubiquinol / CoQ10

RAISE S.O.D.
- Manganese (co-factor)

OTHER SUPPLEMENTS:
· Yucca - 2 capsules 2x day (gut support, also may clear the ammonia directly)
- Molybdenum Glycinate 1 mg - breaks down toxic sulfites to sulfates and supports liver detoxification
- Also brain needs C, E, Magnesium and Zinc to prevent excitotoxin (glutamate) damage. So stay on Magnesium, add Unique E one daily three times per week and Unique Tocotrienols one daily three times per week, and use C a couple of times daily
- Probiotics
- B12 (adeno & hydroxy)

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Also, according to Heartfixer.com, you may need to get sulfur under control before starting with folate and B12...

10. After sulfate levels have fallen (to a level that you and I feel is optimal for you, based upon your clinical and genomic status), then we will begin supplementation with methyl-folate, methyl-B12, and BH4. This will take some time.

http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

ebethc

@JPV - thanks... How do you know if sulfur is under control? the sulfur sticks? my doc says that she thinks ammonia is a bigger prob for me because I have such terrible brain fog... The cracking lip corners can be caused by so many things! I hope it's folate..

Gingergrrl

@ebethc Not sure if you were aware of this but Arginine can increase herpes virus in the body so if you have any (EBV, hhv-6, HSV-1, VZV, etc) then Arginine probably is not good for you. Please check with your doctor or ND if someone advising you though.

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I use the Quantofix Sulfate (not Sulfite) Strips. Not sure about ammonia, but there are several recommendations on the forum as to how to go about testing for it.

ebethc

@ebethc Not sure if you were aware of this but Arginine can increase herpes virus in the body so if you have any (EBV, hhv-6, HSV-1, VZV, etc) then Arginine probably is not good for you. Please check with your doctor or ND if someone advising you though.
I have EBV... I knew that Arginine impacted herpes not EBV

ebethc

I use the Quantofix Sulfate (not Sulfite) Strips. Not sure about ammonia, but there are several recommendations on the forum as to how to go about testing for it.
I'm going to have a Nutreval test, and I think ammonia is on that test, but I'm not sure...

Gingergrrl

@ebethc EBV is "Herpes 4" and each different herpes virus actually has a number and they are all in the same family. Here is a link in case it helps http://www.herpesclinic.com/whatisherpes.htm. I myself, did not initially realize that EBV was in the herpes family. My naturopath advised me against taking Arginine for this reason.

ebethc

Gondwanaland

You can apply Lysine powder topically while you wait for a reply from your doctor. I have read that it helps with canker sores and is indicated for herpes treatments.

izzy

IreneF

I get angular cheilitis every once in a while. I use a lot of lip balm for a couple of days. It goes away quickly, but I have no idea what causes it or how to prevent it.

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl - have you had the nutreval report? that's the next thing I'm going to do...

I haven't and it is one of those tests I keep hearing about (and have probably even asked about in prior posts- but my memory fails me now!) What is unique about that test and what types of treatments do the results lead to?

ebethc

I haven't and it is one of those tests I keep hearing about (and have probably even asked about in prior posts- but my memory fails me now!) What is unique about that test and what types of treatments do the results lead to?
@Gingergrrl - you can google the site and see a sample report... it shows levels of antioxidents & so on in your body so that you can really see what you're lacking. insurance sometimes pays for it.

whodathunkit

Angular cheilitis is a symptom of not enough methylfolate. Only time I've ever had it since I was a kid (literally, since I was pre-pubescent) was a few months ago when I tried to step down my methylfolate too quickly.