• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MEA complaints lead to banning of two internet ads

charles shepherd

ME Association complaints lead to banning of two internet ads | 8 October 2014
An internet advertisement for something called “The M.E. Cures PIONEERS OF THE SMILE M.E. CURES PROGRAMME” has today been banned by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) following a complaint by the ME Association.

Text on the page referred to the suitability and benefits of ‘Smile Qigong’ for people with M.E. and stated that “Benefits of Smile Qigong include raised energy levels, improved focus”.

Our medical adviser, Dr Charles Shepherd, challenged whether claims to treat M.E. in both the title of the page and the description of the therapy could be substantiated.

And a further MEA complaint by the MEA against the same company for efficacy claims for the abilities of a number of therapies to treat medical conditions was also ordered to removed. We complained that the therapies – including thermal auricular therapy, Indian head massage and Buteyko breathing – were not being administered by qualified health professionals.

The company – Sutton Medical Consulting – is run from premises in Sutton Coldfield in the West Midlands by Ron Prescott ND, who failed to answer the criticisms.

More information, including the full ASA rulings on the MEA website:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...o-banning-of-two-internet-ads-8-october-2014/

Ends

charles shepherd

ME Association complaints lead to banning of two internet ads | 8 October 2014
An internet advertisement for something called “The M.E. Cures PIONEERS OF THE SMILE M.E. CURES PROGRAMME” has today been banned by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) following a complaint by the ME Association.

Text on the page referred to the suitability and benefits of ‘Smile Qigong’ for people with M.E. and stated that “Benefits of Smile Qigong include raised energy levels, improved focus”.

Our medical adviser, Dr Charles Shepherd, challenged whether claims to treat M.E. in both the title of the page and the description of the therapy could be substantiated.

And a further MEA complaint by the MEA against the same company for efficacy claims for the abilities of a number of therapies to treat medical conditions was also ordered to removed. We complained that the therapies – including thermal auricular therapy, Indian head massage and Buteyko breathing – were not being administered by qualified health professionals.

The company – Sutton Medical Consulting – is run from premises in Sutton Coldfield in the West Midlands by Ron Prescott ND, who failed to answer the criticisms.

More information, including the full ASA rulings on the MEA website:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...o-banning-of-two-internet-ads-8-october-2014/

Ends

Therapeutic claims:

http://www.ronprescottnd.co.uk/health/Treatments

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
This saddens me. Qigong is a form/subset of Tai Chi.

Years ago, when my ME was fairly mild (and undiagnosed), I took a Tai Chi class that was developed for people recovering from cancer, but open to anyone. I found it to be suitable and beneficial. Obviously it did not treat or cure me.

I am afraid that these ‘Smile Qigong’ people will cause all types of Qigong and Tai Chi to be viewed with suspicion

Hi All,
It is the first time i have made a comment, although i have been follwoing this iste for a year or so.
Actually, qigong Tai chi and Buteyko helped me reach 60-80% improved symptons. It is hugely beneficial to CFs sufferers. I almost immediately felt the benefits. Huge mistake to ban these ads. Yes, good teachers are needed. After trying everything, one gows full circle and what helped me most was qigong and taichi