• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Zinc?

boo85

I was thinking of adding zinc into my supplement regime. The one I have has the following ingredients:

Zinc (as amino acid chelate 125 mg) - 25mg
Manganese (as amino acid chelate 20 mg) - 2 mg
Vitamin B6 - 10mg

How much of this zinc should I take each day?

It also says on the bottle "Contains zinc which may be dangerous if taken in large amounts or for long periods"

How much would a "large amount" be? And how long would a "long period" be?

Thanks!

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
If you are going to take it for more that a few weeks, it might be a good idea to take 2-3 mg copper. Zinc can deplete copper.

Zinc and copper can deplete iron, but you should never take supplemental iron unless you have tested low in it.

boo85

If you are going to take it for more that a few weeks, it might be a good idea to take 2-3 mg copper. Zinc can deplete copper.

Zinc and copper can deplete iron, but you should never take supplemental iron unless you have tested low in it.

Thanks for your comments.

I'm pretty low in ferritin which is the type of iron tablet I'm taking.

Iron: 28 umol/L (10 - 27)
- Transferrin: 2.94 g/L (2.10 - 3.80)
- Saturation: 38% (15 - 45%)
- Ferritin: 13 ug/L (10 - 150)

Last edited: