• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Moving to San Diego- Seeking Dr and Low Income Resources

sparklehoof

I'm trying to relocate from the east coast to San Diego, Ca and I wondered if anyone reading this can recommend resources or tips? I'm 35, female, have had ME for 15.5 yrs. and have been unable to support myself/work. My hope is that the improved weather could help to improve my health enough so that I may be able to go back to school or work

I'm hoping to visit for the first time from about 10/16-10/21 give or take and then potentially move on Nov. 1 or Dec. 1 (as soon as I can work out the details)

I'm on both SSI and SSDI and learned that my income will be below $900/month once I arrive.

I'm looking for:
-ME healthcare provider that is good and accepts Medicare and MediCal
-Housing or neighborhood recommendations (I would rent to start and wondered if anyone has experience with the choice voucher program, section 8, or finding the best accommodations/walkability on a budget.
-I have a car in RI, but I may not bring it with me initially or I may sell it and purchase something comparable when I arrive.
- support groups, friendly neighborhoods with thrift stores, coffee shops, chill things happening so that if I can get out, I can connect with other people in their 20's and 30's who don't have families.
- work suggestions (My symptoms aren't stable and are roughly equal parts physical, cognitive and emotional)

Thank you for any advice that you can offer.

Jarod

There is a good website for younger patients run by a guy named Joey. His site is called "healkick" and geared towards younger people under 40. Joey lives in Las Vegas and probably knows where all the young ME/CFS'er live and hang out. I'd like to know myself actually....

A site that may be helpful also with locations is the "locations effect board". You can find that HERE on the right hand column. The lady who runs that is "Slayadragon". Her premise is that climate, environment, mold, and other stuff can play a role in healing.

Great attitude! If there is a will there is a way.

Jennifer J

Hi. I live in San Diego and can give you a lot of information. I'm low income and have similar interests. It would take too much energy from me right now to type what you want to know. I can send you my number and you can call me if you like.

You'll like San Diego. It has nice little neighborhood communities full of people in their 20's and 30's, and older:). Meetup.com has many meetups for all kinds of interests and for people who want to connect with a certain age range, too. It's really big here. That makes it easier also to try to connect with people and do something you enjoy.

Jennifer

P.S. I'm still trying to find a local good provider that understands ME/CFS more fully.

Last edited:

sparklehoof

Hi,
I'm planning to move from RI to San Diego in the coming months and am looking for doctor recommendations as well as other tip/resources. I'm not able to work now, but I'm hoping that the improved weather may offer a chance. I'm on SS, and my benefits will increase once I'm there however they will only total 22.8% of the annual median income. It looks as though wait list for voucher housing is around a decade long.
I wondered if there are any other programs that anyone knows of that may help?

Thanks so much

Aerose91

I don't know much about the assisted housing but?I lived in LA for 8 years and have many friends in SD. It's my second favorite city in the country (behind boston). Most of the people I know and the time I spent there was in Mission and Mission beach. Great area and city as a whole with a laid back, young vibe.
@Jennifer J could probably guide you more but that's what I know about it. Best weather in the whole country, too.

sparklehoof

Thank you Aerose91. Did you like San Diego more than LA? If you have any other recommendations about CA or LA those may be helpful too. Thanks again.

Aerose91

Thank you Aerose91. Did you like San Diego more than LA? If you have any other recommendations about CA or LA those may be helpful too. Thanks again.

Yes. I didn't live exactly in
LA but Manhattan Beach which is a wonderful town but we all just refer to the beach cities as LA cuz it's easier to place.

The only other place I would consider if you're not dead set on SD is Newport/Huntington Beach in Orange county. Actually, on Slaythedragon's website "locations effect" they talk about the good air quality in Newport beach. I believe SD was good too but you can double check me just to be safe. Either way their both a great, youthful life style.

sparklehoof

Yes. I didn't live exactly in
LA but Manhattan Beach which is a wonderful town but we all just refer to the beach cities as LA cuz it's easier to place.

The only other place I would consider if you're not dead set on SD is Newport/Huntington Beach in Orange county. Actually, on Slaythedragon's website "locations effect" they talk about the good air quality in Newport beach. I believe SD was good too but you can double check me just to be safe. Either way their both a great, youthful life style.
Thanks so much-- I will look into it. I'm concerned about affordability because my income is well below the poverty line. Do you (or anyone else reading this) happen to know of any resources? Thanks