• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to swallow very large Potassium pill?

Gingergrrl

I was recently prescribed a Potassium supplement (the generic of K-dur) that is the biggest pill I have ever seen in my life. I normally do not have trouble swallowing pills but this one scares the hell out of me and every time I am afraid I am going to choke on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for swallowing such a large pill? I don't cut it in half b/c then the edges are so sharp that I am afraid it could really get stuck in my throat if I choke. It also says not to crush or grind the pill which were my other thoughts.

Ugh :bang-head: + :aghhh: + :nervous:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I was recently prescribed a Potassium supplement (the generic of K-dur) that is the biggest pill I have ever seen in my life. I normally do not have trouble swallowing pills but this one scares the hell out of me and every time I am afraid I am going to choke on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for swallowing such a large pill? I don't cut it in half b/c then the edges are so sharp that I am afraid it could really get stuck in my throat if I choke. It also says not to crush or grind the pill which were my other thoughts.

Is it time release? Or why don't they want you to crush it? You could ask a pharmacist. I crush my magnesium pills because they are too large for me.

Sushi

Kati

Patient in training
i don't have problem swallowing pills. i just put them in my mouth and take a bit of fluids and down it goes.

If swallowing pills is a real phobia to you, there is potassium oral solution, which could be an option. ask your pharmacist.

Gingergrrl

@Sushi I looked at the bottle and it says "Do not chew or crush." I don't think it is a time release but I think it has a special coating on the pill so it is easier on the stomach.

@Kati I don't normally have a phobia of pills and between all my meds & supplements, I must take between 30-40 pills per day. The potassium pill is just incredibly large and thicker than any other pill I have ever taken!

ETA is the potassium oral solution equal to the pill (20 meq) or something different?

Last edited:

Kati

Patient in training
@Sushi I looked at the bottle and it says "Do not chew or crush." I don't think it is a time release but I think it has a special coating on the pill so it is easier on the stomach.

@Kati I don't normally have a phobia of pills and between all my meds & supplements, I must take between 30-40 pills per day. The potassium pill is just incredibly large and thicker than any other pill I have ever taken!

ETA is the potassium oral solution equal to the pill (20 meq) or something different?

I don't know what the dilution is, but the pharmacist would tell you for sure. i don't think it tastes very good.

daisybell

I find that if I take a mouthful of water first, hold it in my mouth, and then pop the tablet in, get it facing the right way with my tongue, and swallow the whole lot in one big gulp, I can usually manage the large tablets..

Otherwise, I would look into getting smaller tablets and taking more of them!

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

I called my doc, told him I was choking on it and asked for something smaller, and he prescribed half dose tabs in double the amount.

PeterPositive

My 2c... for what it's worth. I too have had some problems with large pills or when swallowing 2-3 pills at once.

The trick for me is to put some water in my mouth and the swallow it with a quick gulp, instead of slowly sipping it. This will push the pills down more effectively and it won't give you the "choking" effect... which is more of an unpleasant feeling in the throat than anything else.

cheers

p.s. = if that doesn't work, cut the pill in halves and take them separately.

perchance dreamer

I also put water in my mouth first, then the pill, and even the largest pills glide down easily. Also, with the water first, you don't get any unpleasant taste from tablets.

Ema

It is a huge pill. And you're right that a half is harder to take than the whole. But you can dissolve it in a glass of water and take it that way.

Alternatively you can just put it in your mouth with some water and it will start to dissolve pretty quickly. It doesn't have any taste.

From drugs.com:

You may also dissolve the tablet in half a glass (4 oz/120 mL) of water. Let the tablet dissolve for 2 minutes, then stir well for half a minute. Swirl and drink all the liquid right away. Add 1 oz/30 mL of water to the glass, swirl, and drink; repeat this 1 more time to ensure you have taken all of the medicine.

Last edited:

Hip

K-Dur 20 contains 1500 mg of potassium chloride in extended release form, so that the potassium is slowly released into your body. K-Dur 10 is the same but contains 750 mg of potassium chloride.

"These formulations are intended to slow the release of potassium so that the likelihood of a high localized concentration of potassium chloride within the gastrointestinal tract is reduced"

barbc56

My urologist just put me on prescription potassium citrate for kidney stones and though it may be a coincidence that it's a form of potassium, I have never seen such a large pill. I am having the same problems with swallowing.

The potassium citrate is also time released and the instructions say to swallow quickly.:rolleyes:

I find using a straw helpful but I think I'll also ask for a smaller size pill as that sounds more reasonable.

Someone recommended swallowing the pill while eating food but that seems a sure way to chock. Especially with a pill this size.

Barb

xchocoholic

My throat won't accommodate large pills so I wouldn't try this. They have to use a child's endoscopy and colonoscopy scopes on me. My throat swells regularly too tho from allergies. And sometimes even the act of swallowing isn't automatic.

I agree with the others who suggest getting a smaller pill. Tc ..x

Gingergrrl

Thank you to everyone for all the feedback. I learned that this pill is time released with a special coating so it does not upset the stomach so I cannot crush it or dissolve it in water.

At my next appt, I am going to ask about the smaller dosage which hopefully equals smaller size pill and then taking two of them. I will also ask about the liquid form.

So far I am swallowing it okay but am afraid of choking each time. I take a huge gulp of water and just hope for the best LOL.