• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Humidity wipes me out.. what to do?

ebethc

Hi

Humidity wipes me out... I get so fatigued and I don't even have any mental energy. I got a dehumidifier, but it's not strong enough to help. Any suggestions? Supplements?

I just quit dairy, gluten, soy & corn a few weeks ago
I just started the CBS protocol a few weeks ago, too.
My doc says I'm not allergic to mold, but any particulate matter stimulates my immune system & clogs up my sinuses.

thanks

PeterPositive

I can relate to this issue very much and it is still a mystery to me. I have had "humidity intolerance" in different phases of my illness, it would drain all of the energy out of me, making me feel very sick, mentally confused etc... Asking a doctor is usually a good way to be taken as a nut job, while several naturopaths suggested candida or yeast infection.

I still have some problem with humidity but much less worse than before and I can definitely see a connection with intestinal health. For me it was probably due to an intolerance to casein and possibly other food. Having cleaned up the diet has helped a lot and some supplements such as vit C and active Bs seem also to have improved the situation.

Cheers

PeterPositive

Well, hydroxy-B12 is an inactive form that requires the enzymes in your body to turn it into both Methyl-B12 and Adenosyl-B12.

There is people that does very well on Hydroxy-B12 and others who need the active forms directly. The "hydroxy" (OH) part of the molecule is useful to contrast excessive nitric oxide and thus help with inflammation. Some people find it helpful for this reason.

Personally I find the use of methyl + adeonsyl B12 more effective, probably because I have several SNPs that impair the methylation cycle.

cheers

ukxmrv

Can you afford to buy a proper airconditioner or have access to a cold pool? I do have a POTS dx as well and find that humdity wipes me out and leaves me unable to walk at times.

I've not found that diet or the B12's are changing this for me.

What does help is extra, very cold fluids when the effects of the Humidy hits. Either to drink or immense myself in. A cold pool is the best but a cold bath helps as well.

If I could afford one I'd buy a cooling vest

http://www.arcticheat.com.au/

ebethc

@PeterPositive - I have impaired methylation (in my signature) and I also have inflammation. My +/+ mutations are CBS & BHMT; can you share the methylation mutations ?

ebethc

@ukxmrv - thanks for the link - nice vests.. In general, I tend to be cold (hypothyroid) and I live in the San Francisco - which is usually not that hot. We've had a very unusual summer that's been both hot & humid. Usually when it gets into the 70's & 80's (rare), it's nice & dry, so I'm fine.... However, the problem (for me) with SF is that it's very damp - even when it's cool. Damp is always a problem for me, but Hot & Humid is just WAY worse, so I've been really miserable. Reducing the damp is the problem for me here... (BTW - most places have some drawback, like arid, desert locations get TOO hot for me, and tend to be too polluted)... I'm very high maintenance when it comes to climate :)

PeterPositive

@PeterPositive - I have impaired methylation (in my signature) and I also have inflammation. My +/+ mutations are CBS & BHMT; can you share the methylation mutations ?
I should probably add them in my signature too :)

Main mutations are MTHFR C677T+/+, MTHFS +/+ TCN2 C766G +/+, FUT2 +/+, MTR A2756G +/-, MTRR A66G +/-

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi

Humidity wipes me out... I get so fatigued and I don't even have any mental energy. I got a dehumidifier, but it's not strong enough to help. Any suggestions? Supplements? ...
When I lived in a very high humidity area I got a dehumidifier that allowed me to input the % of humidity I wanted. These are fairly expensive models. I used to set it for 40% and it would suck out about 6 gallons overnight! This was a huge help. Now I have moved to the desert! :)

Sushi

ebethc

@Sushi - I was wondering if I should invest in a stronger dehumidifier! Do you remember the brand?

Do you feel better in Albuquerque? I was thinking that I should move to Santa Fe or Durango (both are dry w clean air) but I'm not sure Durango has good healthcare and Santa Fe didn't feel like "home" to me... Both have winters, so possibly i would trade humidity for another problem..

Sushi

@Sushi - I was wondering if I should invest in a stronger dehumidifier! Do you remember the brand?

Do you feel better in Albuquerque? I was thinking that I should move to Santa Fe or Durango (both are dry w clean air) but I'm not sure Durango has good healthcare and Santa Fe didn't feel like "home" to me... Both have winters, so possibly i would trade humidity for another problem..

I don't remember the brand but do remember that it required a different type machine to get the humidity low enough to prevent mold. There must be sites that rate them.

I hated humidity so I am more comfortable in Albuquerque but I can't say that my ME symptoms are better. I had successfully prevented mold in Florida but if I hadn't done that my symptoms would have been worse there.

I chose Albuquerque over Santa Fe because it is a bigger city with more resources but also because the winters are much milder. Albuquerque definitely has winter but snow is rare and it is almost always sunny in the winter and warm enough to sit outside during the day.

There are no ME docs here but that is true most everywhere. There is good health care otherwise, though.

Sushi

Sean

Humidity wipes me out...

Me too.

Hot dry weather is quite manageable for me. But hot and humid is rough. Then it's air-con time (from late morning to just after sunset).

ebethc

I don't remember the brand but do remember that it required a different type machine to get the humidity low enough to prevent mold. There must be sites that rate them.

@Sushi - What do you mean by "a different type machine".. different how? thanks.

Sushi

@Sushi - What do you mean by "a different type machine".. different how? thanks.

The less expensive ones will ice-up if they try to go below 50 or 60 % humidity. So the expensive ones that can do that operate in a different way, sorry I can't remember more about it. Dehumidifiers will give their humidity ranges and this is the clue.

Sushi

manna

I have a de-humidifier that doesn't ice up. I bought it for drying washing indoors as humidity is not a problem for me here. Costs a fortune to run! There are also chemical de-humidifiers and mechanical...I assume the mechanical (using fans and a refrigerant unit) work faster. Buying models that have higher litres per hour will help if there's a lot of humidity. In chinese medicine M.E. is, in one aspect, a state of internal damp (high humidity in the body), so domestic humidity, which can negatively affect the spleen/pancreas meridian, is likely to be an issue. I'd wonder at the cause of humidity unless it's just weather? The warmer it is the more humidity the air can hold.

In Chinese medicine, dampness is considered to be the cause of many illnesses such as high cholesterol, cancer, metabolic disorders, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, allergies and environmental illness.

jann1033

Heat bothers me much
more than humidity but my thought was mold levels increase with dampness. I'd make sure a dehumidifier was scrupulously cleaned. Mold is bad news for allergies/ sinuses.