• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 issues addressed!

Adlyfrost

I have been discussing side effects of B12's, order to start B12/methylfolate, what and which form is best, and why do some have side-effects when others don't. Ben Lynch discusses these issues- esp. between
10-17 minutes in this video.

He says Methylfolate does NOT mask B12 deficiency and that the safest way for CFS patients to start is B12 and methylfolate together. He also discusses why this doesn't work for some patients and why. He thinks adB12 might be the best choice with patients with mitochondria dysfunction. I wish this guy were my doctor!!!

Adlyfrost

I also loves how he discredits the serum B12 tests- also he talks about that 18 minutes into the video and his preference for MMA test. I always had high serum levels of B12 but all the B12 deficient symptoms. This explains soooo much! Transcobalamin deficiencies, methylfolate deficiencies, lithium levels- all sorts of possibilities to explore.

Last edited:

Critterina

Thinking of Lithium, did you see the article in the New York Times, about lithium in drinking water? I think it was two Saturdays ago. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/opinion/sunday/should-we-all-take-a-bit-of-lithium.html?_r=0

Note that the author uses sensationalistic phrases such as "mind-altering" and "psychotropic" drugs, before admitting that its an naturally-occurring element found in drinking water. Still, it's a pretty good article, once you get past the intro.

whodathunkit

Everything we're doing here is "mind-blowing", let alone mind-altering. If only the NYT reporter had a clue, huh? :D

I heard a few months ago from a guy whose opinion I really respect that the reason there seems to be a shortage of lithium at most vendors (check iherb, used to be tons of choices, now only two, and all the liquid lithium is *gone*) is because there's a massive plan to start adding it to our drinking water. I was skeptical but since it's now being bandied about in the bubble of the Grey Lady, there may be something to it.

Anybody else a fan of the movie "Serenity"? Can you say G-23 Paxilon Hydrochlorate?
:devil::lol:

Anyway, @Adlyfrost, just chiming in to say I love adB12. We tend to forget about it but I'm beginning to come around to the fact that it may be more important than mB12 for many if not most of us. Not that we don't need them both, but that adB12 is severely under-emphasized. As is LCF.

It's only now after 8 months of healing that I'm realizing how whacked my mitochondria probably were, and how that affects tolerance to just about everything. I've just been through a couple month's worth of stress and junk food eating (the two go hand-and-hand for me) that two years ago would have put me in the tank for a few months, if not more. But instead I've managed to keep going while wrapping my head around the stress, am pulling out of the situation, and am starting to eat better, all without crashing. I've been kind of down, but it didn't pummel me, which is a small miracle.

AdB12 has been a big part of that. I realized it a few months ago after I'd been on low doses (2500mg/day) for a couple of months. Things were beginning to lag for no apparent reason (mB12 and mfolate were all the same). I upped my adB12 and all became well. Never looked back.

Same thing with LCF. I forgot it for a week, and started to feel really crappy. When I started taking it again, everything picked right back up. Never looked back.

So, a big :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: for adB12 and your discovery!

sueami

In support of ADB12's importance, Gary Fritz and I have been corresponding with the founder of b12oils.com about his transdermal b12 formula (we're splitting an order). He has a straight mb12 oil and a blended oil of adb12 and mb12 that I was surprised to read has significantly more adb12 than mb12. Here is what he said about it:

This is a mix of 7.5 mg/ml AdoB12 + 2.5 mg/ml MeB12. This ratio was chosen as it represents what the level is in the body. Although of course this would be in a person who methylates normally. Many people with CFS benefit from this formulation, and it appears to be the best.
I also noticed a huge brightening when I doubled my adb12 dosage a couple months ago. It was a very quick and noticeable improvement. I'm quite curious to see how the transdermal absorption feels compared to sublingual.