• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help! Need mattress recommendations asap

PearlGirl26

Living with CFS for years, recently diagnosed.
I've become severely allergic to my mattress and memory foam topper suddenly (at least I think suddenly). I need to buy a new mattress ASAP. One that is organic. Does anyone have a recommendation for one with a soft top? I like firm with a pillowtop, and I worry the latex will be too hard on my back.

I am willing to invest in something for the long term so price is not an issue right now.

Any suggestions would be great! I am desperate to take care of this ASAP as they usually take forever to order.

acrosstheveil

im looking at new mattress too. was wondering if anyone sold chemical free and hopefully sag-free mattresses.

Martial

I need to pick one up myself, My family would think I was fricken nuts for getting an "organic" mattress though. They already show distaste in my meticulous needs for diet and supplements. I am not sure where you live but a lot of local places in bigger cities or towns will advertise organic mattresses now, at least where I live in California. I don't know too much about ordering them online but sure others will chime in. I just wanted to say I wish you luck and it is definitely worth the investment!

Sean

Be careful with latex mattresses. Genuine high quality latex is expensive, to put it mildly. If you pick the wrong one it could seriously hurt your bank balance.

Been there, done that. :ill:

zzz

Two years ago, when I needed to replace my mattress, I had a very hard time finding one that worked. After a long time searching, I finally found the latex mattresses at PlushBeds.com. Currently, they have two all-natural lines of latex mattresses, the Botanical Bliss Collection and the Natural Bliss Collection. The main difference between the two is that the Botanical Bliss Collection has a one-inch layer of Jama wool between the cotton cover and the upper latex layer. If you choose that line, though, you end up paying a lot for that inch of wool.

Both of these lines have an upper, removable latex layer that is 2" or 3" thick. You choose the firmness level of this layer - soft, medium, medium-firm, and extra-firm. I have the medium layer, and I find it perfect. Since PlushBeds.com has no stores, they allow you to switch layers at no charge within the first 100 days if you decide that a different firmness is better for you. They'll even pay for shipping. They also have a 100 night money back guarantee if you want to return the whole mattress, again with free shipping. Their mattresses come with a 25 year warranty.

The mattress I got from them is the best one I ever had. After two years, it's just like new - not the slightest sign of wear or sagging. You can find lots more information on their Web site, and they have very helpful sales people.

PlushBeds.com has a lot of positive user ratings on their site; when I looked at them when I got my mattress they looked genuine, and were consistent with my later experience of the mattress. The Natural Bliss Collection has far fewer ratings as it appears to be a newer line. The company is also highly rated by SleepLikeTheDead.com, a great rating site for everything having to do with sleep, and they have an "A" rating from the Better Business Bureau.

PearlGirl26

Thank you all so much for your advice. I decided to go with a Naturepedic http://www.naturepedic.com/. My mom drove me to a showroom that was wheelchair accessible and I was able to try them out. The ones with latex smell really bothered me, plus I am sensitive to it in general, so I didn't want to take the risk. So the one I chose is constructed like a traditional coil mattress with organic cotton and wool. Naturepedics are pricey, but they offer a 20 year warranty and given I don't go to movies, haven't been to a restaurant in over a year, etc., I figure I've earned this in social life savings.

I know investing in an organic mattress is the absolute right decision. I have been camping in my living room for a few nights and so many of my sick symptoms have diminished or gone away completely. Fatigue is always there of course, but at least my migraines, joint pain, ear pain, diarrhea, face burning, eye swelling, feeling drugged all the time and nausea have gone down. My asthma has also improved, but that could be the weather. I firmly believe the memory foam topper is primarily to blame, which is a shame because I love love loved the way it feels. Interestingly, my symptoms escalated when I bought my first topper over 4 years ago. I'm thinking this is not a coincidence.

Something else I learned, if you can't afford organic furniture and you are worried about out gassing, gently used leather furniture ain't a bad way to go, given it's relatively non permeable, easy to clean and less prone to dust mites and other allergens.

I recommend not getting a pillowtop mattress. The pillow portion sags a lot. Reviewers say this sagging happens quickly and it did to me. I am upset that I didn't know before I purchased. The mattress goes from being so comfortable and supportive to being saggy. You can fluff it up but I don't think someone with ME is going to have the energy to do this every 2 to 6 months. I don't think it would ever be the same as new, with fluffing.

Latex is supposed to get hot. Doesn't sound good for someone spending lots of time in bed. Some latex mattresses have gel or foam to help it not get as hot. I don't know how well they work. I think I read that the latex odor goes away but it takes a long time.

Daffodil

hi pearl. why do you feel that latex would be too firm? i have an extra firm natural latex topper and it is still very bouncy with a lot of give. honestly, if i had the money, i would love an all natural latex mattress.

i am not sure i would ever get a regular spring mattress again. they are great at first, but they all sag so soon and are so expensive. if i did get one, i would go for an ultra firm with pillow top.

Sean

Better to get a plain mattress, without a pillow top. Then buy a separate topper if you want.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I recommend not getting a pillowtop mattress. The pillow portion sags a lot. Reviewers say this sagging happens quickly and it did to me. I am upset that I didn't know before I purchased. The mattress goes from being so comfortable and supportive to being saggy. You can fluff it up but I don't think someone with ME is going to have the energy to do this every 2 to 6 months. I don't think it would ever be the same as new, with fluffing.
I have a pillowtop mattress. How do I fluff it up?

Thank you all so much for your advice. I decided to go with a Naturepedic http://www.naturepedic.com/. My mom drove me to a showroom that was wheelchair accessible and I was able to try them out. The ones with latex smell really bothered me, plus I am sensitive to it in general, so I didn't want to take the risk. So the one I chose is constructed like a traditional coil mattress with organic cotton and wool. Naturepedics are pricey, but they offer a 20 year warranty and given I don't go to movies, haven't been to a restaurant in over a year, etc., I figure I've earned this in social life savings.

I know investing in an organic mattress is the absolute right decision. I have been camping in my living room for a few nights and so many of my sick symptoms have diminished or gone away completely. Fatigue is always there of course, but at least my migraines, joint pain, ear pain, diarrhea, face burning, eye swelling, feeling drugged all the time and nausea have gone down. My asthma has also improved, but that could be the weather. I firmly believe the memory foam topper is primarily to blame, which is a shame because I love love loved the way it feels. Interestingly, my symptoms escalated when I bought my first topper over 4 years ago. I'm thinking this is not a coincidence.

Something else I learned, if you can't afford organic furniture and you are worried about out gassing, gently used leather furniture ain't a bad way to go, given it's relatively non permeable, easy to clean

How's the new mattress making out for you? Would you recommend it?

Not sure if you've looked into Amerisleep. I was looking for a nice mattress several months ago and there were few people who recommended me the brand and I decided to get the Revere. The price is very reasonable for a memory form mattress of this quality and I've been very happy with it. It doesn't get hot and it doesn't have that nasty memory foam smell. http://amzn.to/1tuQZQY

Misfit Toy

I was just thinking about this. I went to Allergy Free Living...a store that went out of business where I am. My bed is wool and organic. I love it. No off-gassing. No smells and so comfortable. I have made up my mind that I will spend a lot on my bed since I spend so much time in it.

I bought a mattress before this one and it was $800.00. I literally had to throw it out. I would lay on it and my muscles would twitch and I would want to vomit due to the smell. Never again. The stores would not take it back. It was a Simmons. I can't have carpeting, etc. I buy rugs from Pottery Barn or Homegoods and lay them out before I put them in my place. I can't deal with the smell. Luckily, with my Pottery Barn rug, which is huge, there was no smell.

JalapenoLuv

I was going to suggest putting an allergy cover over the mattress cover. That would prevent any allergens from coming through and be inexpensive.

PearlGirl26

How's the new mattress making out for you? Would you recommend it?

Hi Guys,
Sorry for the late reply. I had to delay getting it delivered while I had my room cleaned out. The mattress is great. AND the BEST news is that it gives off 0% VOCs and no smells. I know this, because my air quality tester happened to be present when it was delivered. He opened the plastic and read it right there with his VOC meter. He was amazed. So far, I've slept on it for a week with no problem. It will never be as heavenly as the memory foam, but I am sleeping fine on it. (I got used to a harder surface, having been on a futon for a month in the living room.)

BTW another product I can recommend is called IQAir purifier. It's crazy expensive, but you really get what you pay for. This thing sucks out all VOCs, pollen and smells and covers 1500 sq feet. http://www.iqair.com/home-air-purifiers/gcmultigas. It's on wheels, so you can move it to different rooms if you like. I no longer feel MCS in my apartment, which is why it's really worth it. The cost of moving to an uncertain environment with potential mold issues would have been a lot more. They allow you to pay on an installment plan as well.

Thanks for all of your support and feedback. @JalapenoLuv I wanted to try the cover thing, but it turns out I am allergic to all of the covers, except the organic cotton ones, which do allow fumes to come through. I needed to replace the mattress entirely.

Last edited: