• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Experience with oral iron or infusion?

fibrodude84

I have had iron infusions for anemia but didn't feel better after, I'm thinking it's because they got me into the low normal but it probably isn't enough.

I have feosol iron pills, not sure how much I absorb but was told iron is inflammatory so I may only take it once a week to keep levels steady.

Thoughts and exp on oral or IV iron as it relates to ME/CFS?

NilaJones

I have severe inflammation problems, but have never noticed iron contributing to them.

I find Twinlabs iron caps much more effective for me than any other brand I have tried.

barbc56

@fibrodude84

I also had an iron infusion. My sleep neurologist referred me to a hematologist as low iron, (actually it was my ferritin that was extremely low but blood count normal). affects Restless Legs Syndrom. That was three years ago and my ferritin is still in the normal range.I will not see him again unless my ferritin dips again.

Low ferritin also has the same symptoms as anemia even though it is a slightly different type When the ferritin is depleted, it may start to affect your regular blood counts. Ferritin is not included with a CBC. Have you had this done?

My hematologist thinks my low ferritin is an absorption issue. I have IBS and I can't take oral iron because of my stomach.

As always, this was my experience and may not apply to yours.

Good luck to you and hope you get some relief. Soon!

Barb

fibrodude84

I know they test folate but I'm not sure about ferritin. I wouldnt mind constipation from oral iron I just want to avoid bowel obstructions and surgeries.

fibrodude84

Interestingly I popped an iron pill yesterday and feel better today. I also took a b complex which is more likely to have had an effect if anything.

Last edited: