• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is this an adrenal dysfunction related pain?

Sinclair

Hello,

The first symptom I experienced in January 2011 after the assumed viral infection in December 2010 (did not experienced symptoms of an acute infection), was a deep pain in my mid-low-back, right side.

When it worsened, the pain could be felt deep in the abdomen (right side as well). During the next year, when I began an elevated T4 treatment for Thyroid Cancer, the pain extended up along my back, neck and head, always on my right side. I experienced migraine headaches and weakness all over my right side, arm and leg included. It is felt by the muscles but it seems to come from a deeper part of my body, located between the thorax and the abdomen, right side. It produces flank pain in the right side as well.

Abdomen MRI, Chest MRI, and several other tests, clean.

I have not tested my cortisol yet.

The pain is not constant but is felt most part of the day, harder in the mornings, usually less painful in the evenings. When resting in a horizontal position it diminishes significantly. When I overexert, I feel that 'this part of my body' restraints any additional movement and I get nausea.

Curiously, it reacts like an ulcer with certain foods, since the pain diminishes just after the food intake.

I checked negative for a liver/ gallbladder issue and recent kidney tests show small abnormalities (no more serious that stage 2 chronic kidney disease).

This pain is one of my major symptoms and has been hurting me for almost 4 years. I would have a major improvement without it.

Would you please help me in identifying whether this is an adrenal issue or something else? Or suggest me what else can I do in order to identify this pain causes?

Many Thanks in advance!

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
At the worst of my adrenal fatigue syndrome, I felt an unmistakable pain in my back and kidney areas. I read somewhere in a link (where was that???) that it had to do with the adrenal system being associated to nerves in the lower back.

so yes, this is a possible and commonly reported symptom.

Sinclair

Thanks for your interesting reply @Sherpa

I had the ACTH test done which showed normal results. I know this is not the definitiva test in order to rule out gut problems, but I don't have other tests available in my country.

I still experience adrenal-like symptoms such as low energy levels in the mornings and better energy levels in the evenings...and the pain remains as well. Mandarines and clementines provide some transitory relief.

Thus, I plan to work on my adrenals anyway, I plan to start with DHEA supplementation. Any insights on what has worked for your adrenals?

Kind Regards,
S.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
@Sinclair what helped my dysregulated adrenal system best was Vitamin C (mixed ascorbate forms & liopsomal) and Vitamin B5 (pantethine + pantheonic acid) plus a number of other nutrients.

I recommend Dr. Lam's book for more detailed info - it's very good.