• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

$2 Million Grant Awarded to Study ME/CFS Biomarkers

Gemini

NINDS awards Nova Southeastern a $2 milliion grant to study ME/CFS biomarkers. Dr. Fletcher leads the effort....

By a GenomeWeb staff reporter (dailynews@genomeweb.com)

NEW YORK (GenomeWeb) – Scientists at Nova Southeastern University's Institute for Neuro-Immune Medicine will use a $2 million grant from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke to study complex biomarkers of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) in men, NSU said today.

ME/CFS, a debilitating complex disorder that causes profound fatigue, is worsened by physical and mental activity and is four times more likely to occur in women than men. It impacts several body systems, and symptoms include weakness, muscle pain, impaired memory and/or concentration, and insomnia. It affects more than 1 million Americans.

In the study, lead investigator Professor Mary Ann Fletcher will head efforts to understand the underlying mediators of the disorder, and to pinpoint mechanisms that may be used to develop more targeted treatments. Her team has already developed a dynamic model to identify the mediators of the disorder's persistence and relapse. They now plan to use the model to map the mediators of genomic, cellular, and chemical response, in particular by comparing responses in men with those in women.

"Our goal is to pin down precisely what are the differences between men and women facing these diseases and to develop more effective and specific treatment plans using existing drugs that are currently being used to treat other related conditions and symptoms," Fletcher said in a statement.

Because ME/CFS flare-ups often occur during physical activity, the researchers plan to investigate biomarkers before, during, and after an exercise protocol by drawing blood multiple times. The team then will use computational biology models to target the root causes of the disease.

With this grant, Fletcher and her team have now received a total of nearly $10 million from NIH, the US Department of Defense, and the Department of Veterans Affairs to study ME/CFS and Gulf War Illness, a related neuro-immune disorder that presents with similar symptoms but shows different gene activation responses and cytokine signatures.

Fletcher and her team plan to combine their findings from this study with the other ME/CSF and GWI research projects to identify differences in responses between genders and to develop tailored treatments for both men and women.

http://www.genomeweb.com/clinical-genomics/nova-southeastern-wins-2m-ninds-award-study-biomarkers-chronic-fatigue-syndrome?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+genomeweb+%28GenomeWeb

Aileen

Great news. The team at Nova Southeastern seems to be very good at getting grants. Perhaps Dr. Lipkin could get some help from them?

Gemini

Great news. The team at Nova Southeastern seems to be very good at getting grants. Perhaps Dr. Lipkin could get some help from them?

Yes! A multi-million dollar award from the Institute responsible for neurological diseases & PEM/PENE in the scope of work.

Waiting anxiously for the study results...hope Dr. Fletcher can give us a timeline.

Gingergrrl

NEW YORK (GenomeWeb) – Scientists at Nova Southeastern University's Institute for Neuro-Immune Medicine will use a $2 million grant from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke to study complex biomarkers of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) in men, NSU said today.

This is incredible news but am I reading it correctly that they are only studying ME/CFS in men? (The bolding in the quote is mine for emphasis.)

Bob

Bob

This is incredible news but am I reading it correctly that they are only studying ME/CFS in men? (The bolding in the quote is mine for emphasis.)
Yes, this study is for men only, but the new article says that they are combining the research findings with their previous research. And considering the quote, below, perhaps they feel that they didn't have enough men in their previous studies?

From the new article:
“Our goal is to pin down precisely what are the differences between men and women facing these diseases and to develop more effective and specific treatment plans using existing drugs that are currently being used to treat other related conditions and symptoms,” said Fletcher.

catly

I think it is good news that they are studying men and that the grant was funded by the NIH Institute for neurological disorders and stroke. ME/CFS used to be under NIH's National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases but got moved to the Office of Research on women's health--personally I don't think it belongs there.

I don't see how many they want to enroll in the study (would be good to know) but I think we need to spread the word to ensure they get enough interest. I know this is posted above, but keep spreading the word:

Men between the ages of 18 and 75 who are interested in enrolling in the study can call (305) 275-5450.

Gemini

Because ME/CFS flare-ups often occur during physical activity, the researchers plan to investigate biomarkers before, during, and after an exercise protocol by drawing blood multiple times. The team then will use computational biology models to target the root causes of the disease.

Wonder if it's possible [or if Dr. Fletcher plans] to do any neuro-imaging testing before, during and after exercise then match the brain images to the corresponding blood draw data?

catly

Trying to revive this thread.

Mary Ann Fletcher announced at the Pathways to Prevention meeting December 2014, that they are actively recruiting men for this study based in Florida.

Men between the ages of 18 and 75 who are interested in enrolling in the study can call (305) 275-5450.

Please spread the word.

Also, I had a hard time finding this thread, which I knew I had seen before. Would it be helpful to put something in the title inidicating the study applies to men?

acer2000

I inquired about participating in this study in Sept and I was told they were still working on setting it up. I have since inquired again and not heart anything back. Are they still looking for volunteers. We have family in the area and I could participate in theory.

Also, in the P2P talk Dr Fletcher mentioned an email - but I couldn't make it out. Does anyone have it?

EDIT: well i called and left a message. I guess I'll see if they can get me any info about the current status.

Last edited: