• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FolaPro and various folate potency?

sregan

I'm just about to finish my bottle of Folapro and have finally run out of my "glass bottle" of Jarrow MB12.

I can say that on my latest run of SMP I did NOT have the "brightening" I had the other times where I felt super good for at least a few days. Today I actualy felt very wired and agitated. I decided to take 200 mcg of Jarrow MethylFolate (QuatraFolic) with some Enzymatic MB12 and felt much better immediately.

I also have a bottle (unopened) of Solgr Metafolin at the house.

So my question is of the various forms why would the L-5-MTHF perhaps not be as effective for me as the (6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid (Jarrow) and possibly L-methylfolate-Metafolin (Solgar).

http://mthfr.net/l-methylfolate-methylfolate-5-mthf/2012/04/05/
seems to think the %L_MTHF == the 6S_L_MTHF

Maybe the potency of my Folapro is questionable. Is it possible my body wants the (6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid preferably?

Last edited:

PeterPositive

According to this page:
http://methy-life-site-testing.weebly.com/methylfolate-types.html

it seems that Metafolin is 40% more potent than Quatrefolic. See the table where it indicates that 1mg Metafolin equals 1.4mg Quatrefolic. The reason is the absorption rate which is higher in Metafolin (~76%) vs Quatrefolic (~56%).

From a subjective point of view I've tried both forms and didn't find particular differences. I also tried sublingual Quatrefolic (SeekingHealth) and did not do well on it, feeling super anxious and wired. I suspect it gets in the system too quickly and overstimulates my nervous system. Even at 800-1000mcg is too much for me. On the other hand I can tolerate 2000mcg of Metafolin without problems.

cheers

PeterPositive

Subjectively I feel quatrefolic is more potent, it certainly feels more stimulating than metafolin.
Out of curiosity do you take it orally or sublingually?
I didn't find any differences with oral administration but definitely the sublingual Quatrefolic was highly stimulating for me, way too much.

Critterina

This is timely! Thanks @adreno and @PeterPositive !
I just switched my Solgar for Piping Rock, both Metafolin, and have been feeling a lack of affect, wondering if it was due to the brands. Maybe I'll go back to Solgar first, then try Quatrefolic. So many excursions!