• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

uvula question

I was wondering if anyone could comment on this, I noticed today that I have a massive (I mean huge!) uvula that hangs low on the bottom of my throat and curious if it could be causing my cfs symptoms. I have done two slepe studies but nothing came up. What makes me say "no it isnt" is that I dont mouth breath when I sleep only nose breath so it bypasses the airway restriction my huge uvula would block anyway... thoughts?

Martial

If it didn't show up in a sleep study its not apnea however it could be upper airway resistance syndrome which is very similar and harder to find, you have to specifically test for it since it won't drop oxygen levels low enough for an apnea episode, it will however bring you out of deeper rem sleep as your body is akin to sucking air out of a straw. Usually the cause is structural in nature, I have the same issue. The cheapest things you can do are sleep on your side and wear a dental guard at night that will bring the lower jaw forward.

im going to try the dental guard and sleeping on my side. I was taping my mouth for a week or so last month to try out the buteyko breathing techniques, didnt help much but it only allow nostril breathing .. do u think the uvula will still affect me even if I was nostril breathing only?

Have you ever considered removing your uvula?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I was wondering if anyone could comment on this, I noticed today that I have a massive (I mean huge!) uvula that hangs low on the bottom of my throat and curious if it could be causing my cfs symptoms. I have done two slepe studies but nothing came up. What makes me say "no it isnt" is that I dont mouth breath when I sleep only nose breath so it bypasses the airway restriction my huge uvula would block anyway... thoughts?

Just out of idle curiosity I googled on "huge uvula" (!) to see how common this was and lots of hits came up referring to a swollen uvula and what to do about it. It sounds as though it might be a good idea to visit your doctor to see if it's infected. Have a bit of a google and take a look. :)