• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Adster

I had problems with taking potassium too, and confirmed it a few times with test doses. It made me more lethargic and caused lowered mood. I've seen it mentioned a few times that it not recommended when suffering adrenal insufficiency.

Charles555nc

I was doing my usual protocol of high dose vitamin c, beta carotene, and lysine, glycine and proline that Ive been doing for 2 and a half months. I took the potassium the last three days and Ive had worse and worse time sleeping, feeling panicky, racing heart, and the other stuff I mentitioned already. Right now I feel like its only something I'll do once a week because it feels god awful.

I havent done the b vitamin/methlyation protocol everyday, Im doing them only once a week, and not in the last 3 days where I had trouble sleeping. I dont take NAC or glutathione.

Edit: I took potassium glycinate 99mg once a day for 3 days

Freddd

I was doing my usual protocol of high dose vitamin c, beta carotene, and lysine, glycine and proline that Ive been doing for 2 and a half months. I took the potassium the last three days and Ive had worse and worse time sleeping, feeling panicky, racing heart, and the other stuff I mentitioned already. Right now I feel like its only something I'll do once a week because it feels god awful.

I havent done the b vitamin/methlyation protocol everyday, Im doing them only once a week, and not in the last 3 days where I had trouble sleeping. I dont take NAC or glutathione.

Edit: I took potassium glycinate 99mg once a day for 3 days

Hi Charlie,

That amounts to about a quarter of a banna worth of potassium. I'm not familiar with the form. I'll have to do some reading.

Charles555nc

Small amount, huge effect...maybe stimulating growth after a potassium deficiency stimulates virus production or indirect immune function? I feel much better today (no potassium, same other vitamin protocol).

To be specific my muscles seem stronger and my posture seems better today (but I had a viscious headache and bad mood this morning and afternoon)

Nielk

Hi Fredd,

I am currently taking:

Superior B12 3000mcg sublingual - 2x a day. (when I look at the ingredients, it contains in addition 400mcg of folic acid)
Omega 3 from Navitko- 3000mg 1x3 a day
SuperBio C Buffered timed release- 1,000 mg 1x2 a day
Magnesium Calm powder by Natural vitality- 325 mg 2 teaspoons a day
Adrenacalm by Apex cream - 1pump 2x a day
DGX by Theramedix - contains the 4 major enzymes - i pill before meals
Cerecomp (homeopathic) for cognitive problems - 1 x3 sublingualy
OtiCleanse GHI by Xymogen (optimal GI, Hepatic & inflamatory formula) 1 scoop a day. It contains about 50 ingredients - like vitamin A 2500 iu, C251 mg, D100 iu, E125 iu. etc.
Colostrum plus by Symbiotics - 1/2 teaspoon powder a day
Jarro-Dophilus +FOS by Jarrow- 2x2 a day
Sinus nose spray by GUNA
Wild Oregano oil by California Natural- 1 a day

Klonopin 3mg every night
AmbienCR 12.5 every night

as needed:
Benadryl
Advil
Vicodin

And I'm basically "a wreck"!

Freddd

Hi Fredd,

I am currently taking:

Superior B12 3000mcg sublingual - 2x a day. (when I look at the ingredients, it contains in addition 400mcg of folic acid)
Omega 3 from Navitko- 3000mg 1x3 a day
SuperBio C Buffered timed release- 1,000 mg 1x2 a day
Magnesium Calm powder by Natural vitality- 325 mg 2 teaspoons a day
Adrenacalm by Apex cream - 1pump 2x a day
DGX by Theramedix - contains the 4 major enzymes - i pill before meals
Cerecomp (homeopathic) for cognitive problems - 1 x3 sublingualy
OtiCleanse GHI by Xymogen (optimal GI, Hepatic & inflamatory formula) 1 scoop a day. It contains about 50 ingredients - like vitamin A 2500 iu, C251 mg, D100 iu, E125 iu. etc.
Colostrum plus by Symbiotics - 1/2 teaspoon powder a day
Jarro-Dophilus +FOS by Jarrow- 2x2 a day
Sinus nose spray by GUNA
Wild Oregano oil by California Natural- 1 a day

Klonopin 3mg every night
AmbienCR 12.5 every night

as needed:
Benadryl
Advil
Vicodin

And I'm basically "a wreck"!

OtiCleanse GHI by Xymogen

Also contains 400mcg folic acid, 50mcg of cyancbl and 150mg of NAC. A comment on time release C. I don't know what is correct regarding time release C. Some say that a person needs the surge to get levels high enough to be effective in the immune system.

So basically you are gettin 1200mcg or more of folic acid per day and NAC.

Superior mb12 was about a 2-3 star brand in the old formulation without folic acid.

So if you want to KNOW if a change in supplements can produce different results you would need to go to some different items. The Opticleanse would have to go. No doubt they consider the "detox" symptoms it produces as evidence that it works to "cleanse". However, it may just be producing anywhere form a mild to severe folate deficiency and if prolonged, b12 deficiencies. Later if things change, you can determine if it is the folic acid or not. To start with a trial without any of these things might demonstrate the cause of some of the problems. http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?11522-Active-B12-Protocol-Basics

So mb12, adb12 and metafolin, one of the b-complexes Douglas or Purepac that has Metafolin and mb12 and a 5 star mb12 and Source Natural Dibencozide.

adreno

PR activist
I had problems with taking potassium too, and confirmed it a few times with test doses. It made me more lethargic and caused lowered mood. I've seen it mentioned a few times that it not recommended when suffering adrenal insufficiency.

I seem to have problems with potassium as well. I have been taking 4-8 caps of 99mg potassium citrate, and like you, have been experiencing lethargy. It also gives me diarrhea, and perhaps headache (?) or brain fog. I'm surprised this low dose can have those kind of effects. If I don't take it, I seem to have more paresthesias and anxiety, so I'm at a loss of what to do.

Charles555nc

I got the jarrow b12, and the adenosybl b12 and felt really good after taking them yesterday with the methyl folate...

About potassium, I would try eating banannas...I dont seem to get that bad feeling from eating them and they have more potassium than our pills.

Freddd

I got the jarrow b12, and the adenosybl b12 and felt really good after taking them yesterday with the methyl folate...

About potassium, I would try eating banannas...I dont seem to get that bad feeling from eating them and they have more potassium than our pills.

Hi Charles,

At least have the potassium on hand, eat the bannanas and leave the potassium nearby with a large glass of water i case you have to have it in the middle of the night because of the spasms. Relief in 15-30 minutes instead of several hours at least if at all.

I'm glad to hear of the response to the trinity.

When I was doing the survey of symptoms and responses, a subgroup was teens who used recreational drugs. They said of mb12 "The best legal high I've ever had" and they ALL agreed. So I get the drugs, they felt bad and were trying to fix that.

Charles555nc

You do realize that I said potassium supplements stopped me from sleeping, made my heart race, head ache etc etc. Why would I keep them near me at night lol?

Had a bananna today and no bad reaction...maybe its the blood spike of potassium rather than slow release from food that causes problems.

I had weakness in my left arm yesterday tho....after I took the methyl folate...it doesnt encourage auto immune reactions does it? Felt great on the b12s (I took first hours apart from the methyl folate).

Freddd

You do realize that I said potassium supplements stopped me from sleeping, made my heart race, head ache etc etc. Why would I keep them near me at night lol?

Had a bananna today and no bad reaction...maybe its the blood spike of potassium rather than slow release from food that causes problems.

I had weakness in my left arm yesterday tho....after I took the methyl folate...it doesnt encourage auto immune reactions does it? Felt great on the b12s (I took first hours apart from the methyl folate).

Hi Charlie,

I suggested to have them at hand because if you are flat on the floor screaming unable to crawl or walk because spasms are tying you in knots you may need a fast acting form of potassium depsite possible side effects. Your choce of course. The first time it happened to me it took me 45 minutes to make my way into the kitchen where my vitamins were, 20 feet away.

Mb12 and methylfolate deficiencies appear to CAUSE autoimmune response. The vitamins appear to allow them to fade away.

Charles555nc

Wow quick reply...I was gonna edit my last response....

Selenium and melatonin, given together, give me an autoimmune reaction similar to ms (limb weakness, poor coordination). Perhaps reducing the b vitamin deficiencies increase immune response, including the existing autoimmune response? Im just gonna be extra careful with methyl folate.

I think I may give low dose naltrexone another chance after I improve a bit more.

Freddd

Wow quick reply...I was gonna edit my last response....

Selenium and melatonin, given together, give me an autoimmune reaction similar to ms (limb weakness, poor coordination). Perhaps reducing the b vitamin deficiencies increase immune response, including the existing autoimmune response? Im just gonna be extra careful with methyl folate.

I think I may give low dose naltrexone another chance after I improve a bit more.

Hi Charlie,

Metafolin and mb12 dramatically decrease inflammation and quite the hair trigger immune and neurological responses. I've been there for decades and am not any longer. These NORMALIZE the immune response removing the hair trigger responses as well as improving needed responses.

maddietod

.after I took the methyl folate...it doesnt encourage auto immune reactions does it? Felt great on the b12s (I took first hours apart from the methyl folate).

I don't remember this being part of the protocol - to take methylfolate hours apart from the b12s. Is this important?

[Trying to get well organized before adding the mb12.]

L'engle

moogle
I don't remember this being part of the protocol - to take methylfolate hours apart from the b12s. Is this important?

Madie, I think it is considered good to take about an hour before taking b12, but not several hours, as the folate needs to still be in your system to help absorb the methyl b12.

Freddd

NO. It was a specific discussion with a specific person with A specific problem who injects doses like I do and found that timing on the Metafolin can affect how much of the large mb12 injected dose is excreted how quickly. It squeezes perhaps 5% more effecrtiveness. It also is applied to people who have vegatable food folate paradoxical deficiency to charge up the receptors before eating the veggie folate.

maddietod

NO. It also is applied to people who have vegatable food folate paradoxical deficiency to charge up the receptors before eating the veggie folate.

There's a good chance that I have this, so I'll be exploring it over the next few weeks/months. I understand why to take the metafolin right before eating vegetables, but why delay the b12?

Freddd

There's a good chance that I have this, so I'll be exploring it over the next few weeks/months. I understand why to take the metafolin right before eating vegetables, but why delay the b12?

Hi Madietodd,

So that the Metafolin is circulating. Metafolin has a relative short serum half life. More Meatfolin in circulation means more mb12 is retained longer by not excreting so fast by the kidneys. It may have other beneficial effects on b12 distribution but that is not known as far as I know.