• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Asking for advice to prep for TTT for best outcome

RWP (Rest without Peace)

Hi All,

I will be having an a.m. TTT in Sept (not my preference). This is my first one. I know to go off anything I'm taking that could potentially prevent the problem from showing up. They already said to avoid food/water after midnight due to possible nausea. I know to avoid resting extra ahead of time. Other suggestions or do you have any specific threads where this info is already posted?

Paul

SOC

Hi All,

I will be having an a.m. TTT in Sept (not my preference). This is my first one. I know to go off anything I'm taking that could potentially prevent the problem from showing up. They already said to avoid food/water after midnight due to possible nausea. I know to avoid resting extra ahead of time. Other suggestions or do you have any specific threads where this info is already posted?

Paul
Sounds like you have it pretty well covered. :thumbsup: I don't know about you, but no water for many hours would make me nicely dehydrated and liable to pass out before I ever got to the testing site. ;) While I'm surprised they recommend this, it's probably a good way for a PWME to show their worst. ;)

I assume you know to be prepared to feel dreadful during and after the test. You might not recover as quickly as they expect. Sushi's suggestions for a recovery kit are excellent.

I have been reading up on this too. Check with them in advance that They will stop the test if you feel too bad. There are one or two places that apparently still go on until you faint and this is ridiculous.

That is the first time I have ever heard of them saying not to drink or eat before you go and that also sounds a bit stupid to me dude as you would be low on fluids before you start.

SDSue

Southeast
I had mine in January under similar instructions. Withholding fluids puts you in your worst condition, which unfortunately is a good thing to help uncover the problem. I had to ask for a saline IV after the test, and I was glad I did.

Because not all testers are familiar with our dysautonomia conditions, they may not watch you as closely as they should. Remember to NOT use your large muscles (especially legs) at all while the test is being conducted. Try to relax! Twitching, shifting, etc engages your muscle pumps and helps prevent blood from pooling - which can effect the outcome of your test.

Good luck!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
...That is the first time I have ever heard of them saying not to drink or eat before you go and that also sounds a bit stupid to me dude as you would be low on fluids before you start.

Yes, I was told no food or fluids either. They don't want you to throw up and aspirate!

Sushi

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Do not go for a TTT by yourself. Have someone with you for hours after the test. Do not go to a small clinic for testing if you can avoid it. If major issues occur then a large hospital is the best choice.

Very true! Large hospital with a crash cart available. Don't want to be alarming, but it is possible to have pretty severe reactions, particularly if the test is set up so that you stand there till you pass out.

Sushi

alex3619

Very true! Large hospital with a crash cart available. Don't want to be alarming, but it is possible to have pretty severe reactions, particularly if the test is set up so that you stand there till you pass out.

Sushi

In my case my cardiologist was about to call a crash cart. My heart had stopped. I was in no fit state to travel afterward either.

RWP (Rest without Peace)

Thanks to all who have replied. To Alex: Fortunately, I will be at a large hospital, one of the best in the area. One of my parents will be with me the whole time as well, including driving me home in a station wagon so I can lie down.

I wanted to mention some more things I will be avoiding as well: I will skip wearing my knee-high compression socks which help me quite a bit to keep my balance while standing for long periods of time. BTW: Has anyone else had full-blown venous insufficiency, such as I did, in which the legs had swollen several inches bigger in diameter? Now, my legs are normal size but with the characteristic reddish appearance.

I am going to try to carefully limit (not completely) food and water earlier than the recommended midnight deadline. I am capable of feeling off-balance/blacking out early in the day, but it's at night when I have more risk of that. So, I feel I have to simulate those conditions in the morning while I'm being tested.