• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Nancy Lee Steps Down from CFSAC

Gemini

Notice Distributed by CFSAC staff:

There have been two changes in the management of the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Advisory Committee (CFSAC) at HHS. Dr. Nancy Lee will be stepping down as the Designated Federal Officer (DFO) for CFSAC. We are pleased to announce the appointment of Barbara F. James, M.P.H., Senior Public Health Advisor in the HHS Office on Women's Health (OWH) as the new DFO for CFSAC. Ms. James brings a wealth of experience to this position. She is the former Director of the OWH Division of Program Management and a member of the leadership team at the Office on Women's Health (OWH) since 2007. Prior to joining OWH in 2000, she was at the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI)/ National Institutes of Health, where she was the Executive Secretary for the Ad Hoc Committee on Cardiovascular/Pulmonary Disease Risk Factors in Minority Populations, a multidisciplinary advisory committee to the NHLBI Director. She has extensive experience managing people and programs and has led the HHS Women's Health Time Capsule Initiative and is a task leader for the Federal Interagency Reentry Council - Women and Reentry Subcommittee. Ms. James will assume the duties of the DFO effective immediately.

Additionally, Marty Bond will be stepping down as the Assistant DFO for CFSAC to lead the HIV/AIDS efforts for OWH.

Over the next months, Marty and Nancy will work closely with Barbara to ensure a smooth transition into her new role.

The CFSAC Support Team
http://www.hhs.gov/advcomcfs/index.html

http://www.hhs.gov/advcomcfs/cfsac_email_list.html

I'm not sure this is going to be an improvement. Her undergrad education was in Biology, Psychology, and Sociology. If that's not a deliberate set-up for a biopsychosocial career, I don't know what is. And her masters degree (maternal and child health and population planning) seems to have absolutely nothing to do with ME/CFS.

So no medical background, and it doesn't look like she's published anything. And I can't find any prior CFS involvement.

Jarod

The CFSAC doesn't really make any decisions do they?

I thought the CFSAC function is to take notes and report to another group?

Last edited:

SOC

I'm not sure this is going to be an improvement. Her undergrad education was in Biology, Psychology, and Sociology. If that's not a deliberate set-up for a biopsychosocial career, I don't know what is. And her masters degree (maternal and child health and population planning) seems to have absolutely nothing to do with ME/CFS.

So no medical background, and it doesn't look like she's published anything. And I can't find any prior CFS involvement.
I can't Like this information. :rolleyes: However, it's good to know that OWH is assigning another completely inappropriate person as our DFO. We might as well know what we're dealing with. It looks like CFSAC is the lowest ranking assignment at OWH, given to whomever they don't have a better assignment for so she has something to write on her c.v. It doesn't appear she's anyone with any clout whatsoever. :bang-head:

At this point we can only hope that she has more character than credentials and decides to do something for this grossly underserved population. I'm not counting on it, but at this point hope is all we've got. :(

Iquitos

"She has extensive experience managing people and programs..."

Yes, that's what we get, folks. MANAGED! We don't get respect, we don't get research into the cause, treatment or cure. We don't get health care appropriate to our illness. We get MANAGED! Same song, hundredth verse.

Ren

Is there a job description, besides the duties outlined in the charter? http://www.hhs.gov/advcomcfs/charter/ Will the duties be different at all in the (hopefully forth-)coming charter? How does a background in maternal/child health represent men with ME? or women without children with ME?

The Division of Program Innovation, led by Ms. James, develops and implements model demonstration programs to address the health needs of women and girls throughout the United States, its territories, and the Federated States of Micronesia. Programs focus on disease prevention, lifestyle changes, infrastructure development, system change, sex and gender differences, health disparities, and the development of new models of service delivery.
https://www.womenshealth.gov/about-us/who-we-are/national-staff/barbara-james.html

What if you have a young son with ME??

Last edited: