• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor

Jody submitted a new blog post:

ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor

Jody Smith has been taken by surprise by the value of having a dog when dealing with ME/CFS ...

There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live type of relationship over the years.

Then I got a dog.

Cleo

I didn't even want this dog in the beginning, to be honest. My son Duncan had adopted Cleo, a German Shepherd-Lab mix that had ended up at the Humane Society after an injury that required amputation of her back left leg. But after many months Duncan realized that he couldn't meet her particular needs.

We don't know how long Cleo had been on her own, nor how long her leg had been broken before she was rescued. We do know that the experience had left her quite traumatized, and she would become hysterical if left alone in a room for more than 30 seconds.

Duncan couldn't stay with her 24 hours a day and was becoming desperate about what to do with her. She ended up living with me, my husband Alan and our other son Jesse. I work at home online, Alan is retired due to fibromyalgia and Jesse has ME/CFS, like me. There is always someone at home, and that meant that our house was perfect for Cleo.

When we first got her, I was immensely hampered by a bad knee -- it was swollen, sore, and incapable of bearing my weight. I could limp around the house but I couldn't take Cleo for walks. For various reasons, neither could my two guys.

For the first couple of months, in order to allow Cleo some degree of exercise, I would go in the backyard with her many times a day, and limp around the yard, encouraging her to run. I threw sticks that she would fetch. Well, not exactly fetch. She would get the stick and refuse to give it back to me. So I'd throw another one, and pick up the first one after she dropped it to chase the second one.

This took a lot out of me but it was doable, and that was the extent of her exercise during those first months. After I started seeing a chiropractor for my knee, it started slowly to get better. Then I was able to walk around the yard with her. It hurt too much to walk on pavement, so we stayed on the grass. Both of us got a little exercise. My chiropractor was pleased, she said this would be therapy for my bad knee.

After a little more improvement, I started walking to the first Stop sign near our house. The pavement was hard on my knee, and it hurt during and after our walk. But I was careful not to overdo it and with more encouragement from my chiropractor who could see the ongoing improvement, I persevered.

Eventually we were able to walk to the second Stop sign before turning back toward home. I'd be sore, and out of breath because of having been so out of shape for so long, but Cleo was happy for any activity at all, and whatever pace and distance I was up for, she was in favour of it.

Now, more than a year later, we can walk at a normal (well, normal for someone with ME/CFS) rate for half an hour or more. I am better able to keep up with her, without being dragged at my end of the leash so much.

I know that if I hadn't had to walk Cleo every day, plenty of those days I would have decided to stay inside. But I didn't want to disappoint the dog. And in the long run, it helped me to regain the use of my knee.

I thought we must have looked pretty interesting -- the three-legged dog out walking with the woman with the gimpy left leg limping along behind her. But now we sail along.

Walking Cleo has proven beneficial in a way that I hadn't anticipated. Though I've lived in my house for 20 years, I know almost nobody in my neighborhood these days. I have gone for walks by myself on these streets for years, without seeing a soul I recognized, and without any greetings or conversations from people on those streets. But in the last year or so with Cleo, I have met many of the people who live in my subdivision.

Some of them stop their car to tell me what a great dog I have. Some approach us on the street, or come out to the road from their yards to see Cleo and have a little chat. She is so used to this that any time someone says "Hello" on the street, she will lay down on her belly and wait for them to come scratch her behind her left ear -- the one she can't scratch by herself, having no back left leg.

She is well-known in our subdivision, and she has helped immeasurably to diminish the feeling of being invisible that so often accompanies a chronic condition like ME/CFS.

The sense of isolation and loneliness that is also part of the chronic package has also eased somewhat, for all of us at the Smith house. She follows me around the house, always interested in knowing what we might be doing next.

She sleeps in Jesse's room, and cuddles with him. She is his friend who requires little and offers up unconditional love and attention. When he's tired and needs to be curled up on his bed, she is happy to spend time with him.

When Alan grabs his shoes, getting ready to go out to do some shopping, or run errands, Cleo protests, begging him to stay home with her. When he gets back, she meets him at the door, with tail wagging, looking for a chin scratch and a dog biscuit. When he sits down, she lays at his feet, content that all her people are back in the nest where she thinks we all belong.

Do you have a pet that brings greater soundness to your soul?

Phoenix Rising is a registered 501 c.(3) non profit. We support ME/CFS and NEID patients through rigorous reporting, reliable information, effective advocacy and the provision of online services which empower patients and help them to cope with their isolation.

There are many ways you can help Phoenix Rising to continue its work. If you feel able to offer your time and talent, we could really use some more authors, proof-readers, fundraisers, technicians etc. We’d also love to expand our Board of Directors.

And don’t forget: you can always support our efforts at no cost to yourself as you shop online! To find out more, visit Phoenix Rising’s Donate page by clicking the button below.

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited:
I miss my dog. I loved this article. I could see it all, Jody. I live in an apt and couldn't have a dog. I also couldn't afford it if anything went wrong or it became ill. If I had a BF, or husband...I would get one in a New York minute!

Thank you!

I miss my dog. I loved this article. I could see it all, Jody. I live in an apt and couldn't have a dog. I also couldn't afford it if anything went wrong or it became ill. If I had a BF, or husband...I would get one in a New York minute!

Thank you!

Misfit Toy,

I know, they can be a financial drain. Fortunately, our son is so grateful that we could take Cleo that he contributes to her food costs and if she needs a vet visit or something extra he will cover it because we couldn't do it.

This article sparked my interest in a long-held love of Labrador Retrievers. I have ASD and am very lonely but I can take care of the dog for sure the best part is I just have to throw to give it exercise. Of course there are training and socializing classes and such but from what I've heard if you are lonely and want a companion you can't go wrong with a pooch.

This article sparked my interest in a long-held love of Labrador Retrievers. I have ASD and am very lonely but I can take care of the dog for sure the best part is I just have to throw to give it exercise. Of course there are training and socializing classes and such but from what I've heard if you are lonely and want a companion you can't go wrong with a pooch.

DeGenesis,

I would have to agree, after my experience with Cleo, that a dog can be a wonderful friend who eases the loneliness.

My two toy aussies are everything to me<3 My boys keep me active as i can be,(I can't disappoint them by not playing fetch, their sad faces are heart breaking!). Frankly I don't think I could get through this without my dogs. They cuddle up against my legs or under my arms when I'm feeling cruddy and need a nap, they always know when I'm feeling bad, and they never fail to cheer me up when i feel down.
When I'm feeling particularly spry I''ll volunteer at the local animal shelter and those dogs are always happy to have some one to pet and take them on walks, it really motivates me to get out on those days(even if my own dogs get /immensely/ jealous when I get home, hehe).

My two toy aussies are everything to me<3 My boys keep me active as i can be,(I can't disappoint them by not playing fetch, their sad faces are heart breaking!). Frankly I don't think I could get through this without my dogs. They cuddle up against my legs or under my arms when I'm feeling cruddy and need a nap, they always know when I'm feeling bad, and they never fail to cheer me up when i feel down.
When I'm feeling particularly spry I''ll volunteer at the local animal shelter and those dogs are always happy to have some one to pet and take them on walks, it really motivates me to get out on those days(even if my own dogs get /immensely/ jealous when I get home, hehe).

xxRinxx,

I know what you mean. There are plenty of days when I would never venture outside, but I don't want to disappoint the dog.:) And I know it's good for me since I am well enough for it and it doesn't make me crash anymore, to get outside and go for a walk. Cleo loves the park which is 10 min. away. I rarely feel like going there but I do it for her ... and always am glad I did it because it really is a beautiful little spot. So I owe that to her.:)

My cat is so precious to me because I don't have to take her for walks. When I am doing worse than usual, she will come and lay close to me, purring and gazing at me in concern with those large, gorgeous green eyes. I got her from the pound when she was nine months old, and it's now been 9 years since I brought her into my life. She saves me from isolation while my husband is at work, and carries on conversations with me when I talk to her.

My cat is so precious to me because I don't have to take her for walks. When I am doing worse than usual, she will come and lay close to me, purring and gazing at me in concern with those large, gorgeous green eyes. I got her from the pound when she was nine months old, and it's now been 9 years since I brought her into my life. She saves me from isolation while my husband is at work, and carries on conversations with me when I talk to her.

Belize44,

Sounds like a great comfort and great company. Cats can be very loving. Mine isn't:) but I have had other affectionate tabbies over the years.

Thank you so much Jody for sharing such a great story of enlightenment and joy.

After a long time being bedridden and running out of options to have my dog walked by others, the option to re-home him was unbearable as he had sat by my the side all this time and I never felt alone or isolated. Atticus was my best loyal friend and a friend like this is difficult to find and keep when having M.E.

To keep my best friend, like you I slowly, one step at a time commenced walking him to the park 10 minutes from our home, this took many weeks but I had also made a 15 meter lead so he could run around and exercise till we eventually celebrated our arrival onto the park bench where I could lay down and rest while Atticus ran around some more.

We forget sometimes that most tasks in life start and finish with 'one-step-at-a-time', a dose of determination and as always, hope.

The achievements and friendships made along the way not only brighten our day our health improves also.

Last edited:
Thank you so much Jody for sharing such a great story of enlightenment and joy.

After a long time being bedridden and running out of options to have my dog walked by others, the option to re-home him was unbearable as he had sat by my the side all this time and I never felt alone or isolated. Atticus was my best loyal friend and a friend like this is difficult to find and keep when having M.E.

To keep my best friend, like you I slowly, one step at a time commenced walking him to the park 10 minutes from our home, this took many weeks but I had also made a 15 meter lead so he could run around and exercise till we eventually celebrated our arrival onto the park bench where I could lay down and rest while Atticus ran around some more.

We forget sometimes that most tasks in life start and finish with 'one-step-at-a-time', a dose of determination and as always, hope.

The achievements and friendships made along the way not only brighten our day our health improves also.

Goodness to M.E.,

That sounds very much like how I gradually worked up my way to be able to walk Cleo. Seems like everything I've managed to do since I got sick has had to be accomplished by starting with teeny tiny steps and slowly increasing them.

Goodness to M.E.,

That sounds very much like how I gradually worked up my way to be able to walk Cleo. Seems like everything I've managed to do since I got sick has had to be accomplished by starting with teeny tiny steps and slowly increasing them.
Exactly! and it is a shame some here are not willing to try this as a self help option for independence improvement.
M.E. is a multi-facet dis-ease and can only be tackled by one issue at a time, at least in my experience anyway.

Goodness to ME

I think it totally varies from one individual to another as to what is possible to accomplish. I know that for me there was a time when walking a dog even to the stop sign would have beyond me. Even contemplating the idea would have been overwhelming.

There were times when the thought of trying to get out of bed was more than I could do, and wisely, I did not attempt it.

I would not be prepared to assume who is able to do more than they are doing or who is not. We have enough people making those judgments without doing it to each other here. Each of us must determine for ourselves what it is safe and appropriate for us to attempt without being second-guessed about it.

Thanks for sharing your opinion on my thoughts Jody.

There is no such thing as right or wrong: only thinking makes it so!

My experience of dealing with any chronic illness with others and from my own experience is that often we focus on the things that we cannot change or control instead of what we can or maybe able to and do.

Everything in life starts with small steps no matter what, an idea, a savings plan, recovery from illness and a
a life worth living.........even with chronic illness.

For example this website has been a great insight for me:

There is no world agreement, treatment or cure for M.E. (I'm not talking about the 1980's bogus CFS).

Whether we like it or not, there is no reasonable or affordable access to any competent medical treatment that is of any great benefit no matter where one lives in a 1st world country for M.E. suffers.

No one here or on other similar websites claim to have been cured and in most cases, not been able to return to their former life no matter how many doctors they try, how many tests they have, or how many medications, treatments or supplements they take.

Therefore the choice to stop this merry-go-round of medical pursuit was a significant turning point for me.

I have stopped doing this and use the gained time, money and energy to eat and live well within my ability with gratefulness.

How did I reach this point after years of being unwell - research into how other chronically ill people and those who endured horrific life experiences and how they redesigned their lives and developed a meaningful life where their chronic illness or experiences did not define who they are.

This also required brutal self honesty and being insightful enough to read what happens to others when they only focus on external responsibility and expectation, blame and entitlement, this victim mode is rift as is how this plays out for them so negatively and nothing changes let alone gets any better. Just because we are sick does not entitle us to expect, demand or be bad mannered.

From this I have 3 rules I live by every day:

I dont look sick,
I dont be sick,
I dont talk sick,
unless asked and then only for a minute before changing the subject unless at a regular medical appointment every 6 months.

This is my mind set and it works for me along with being mindful of my feelings, I always ask myself, is this feeling a child feeling or an adult feeling therefore how do I best respond?

I would not presume anything that works for me would work for others here, but then I didn't do all my research here either.

All people are entitled to choose how they live their life, my only suggestion is that if that's not working for you, maybe it's time to try something different.

I'm the 'something different' and it's a great place to be!

And if that makes me a 'Tall Poppy' I can live well with that too!

Last edited: