• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Whats your opinion on this guys Chronic Fatigue supplement list...?

Bansaw

Has anyone heard of Dr.Teiltelbaum?
I came across his video on youtube.

The basic supplement treatment protocol he's advising is:
  • Aceytl L-Carnitine
  • D-Ribose
  • CoQ10
  • Fish Oil
  • B-Complex
  • Natural Supplement for sleep
  • Good Multivitamin powder (eg: Life Extension)
Any comments on his work? D-Ribose is the one he is pushing.
This is the video I am watching. He starts talking about the protocol at 29:00 mins.

I'd have to add for myself, Vitamin D supp, and neurotransmitter supp and probably something like B-Vital for testosterone.

jeffrez

That's Teitelbaum, right? Yeah, he pushes D-Ribose, which I don't think is a particularly bad supplement in itself -- maybe one of the better ones, in fact -- but certainly no miracle cure.

I don't see much wrong with that simple supplement list, although it's hard to make "one-size-fits-all" universal recommendations. Most people *in general* can probably be helped at least minimally -- or even more importantly, not hurt -- by co-q10, a good b-complex, multivitamins (multiminerals may be even more desirable), fish oil and sleep. But of course everyone ultimately needs to tailor what they take to their individual requirements.

Bansaw

What he's saying in the video is unremarkable in terms of the hypothalmus etc. My CFS doctor (a good one, Dr.Lapp in Charlotte, NC) said some of the same things.
It seems like just the D-Ribose seems contentious (seems to wire some people). I've not seen any comments on the Aceytl L-Carnitine yet.
My CFS doctor did recommend L-Serine which no-one seems to know about.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
It looks to me like the basic supplement list is sound. Some people can't tolerate D Ribose - it can make them wored or cause blood sugar swings and crashes in some.

I would add magnesium and if you can get them or do them yourself B12 injections.

Bansaw

It looks to me like the basic supplement list is sound. Some people can't tolerate D Ribose - it can make them wored or cause blood sugar swings and crashes in some.

I would add magnesium and if you can get them or do them yourself B12 injections.
Yes, I'm concerned about D-Ribose since I have some Candida (not extremely severe but there nonetheless). Ribose is a sugar that the yeast can use. Apparently you take small doses throughout the day.

Critterina

Yes, I'm concerned about D-Ribose since I have some Candida (not extremely severe but there nonetheless). Ribose is a sugar that the yeast can use. Apparently you take small doses throughout the day.
Hi Bansaw,

How did you find out that Candida can use ribose? That's really interesting! I have assumed it can't change blood glucose, since it's 5 carbons instead of 6 - do you know about that?

Thanks!
Critterina

Bansaw

I got it from here Critternia,
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/d-ribose-teitelbaum-study-on-257-cfs-fm-patients.18329/page-2#post-491156

"Some people do not tolerate D-ribose. This may be because D-ribose is derived from corn and small amounts
of corn antigen remain to which one may react allergically. Some people with a candida problem (see YEAST
and CANDIDA) may convert D-ribose back to glucose so it is fermented by yeast thereby worsening the
yeast problem."

I just have to be really careful with sugars because I had a systemic bacerial infection called Endemic Typhus (a bit like Rocky Mountain rickettsia) and Candida, and I don't want to encourage them back with sugar after doing so well on a low sugar diet. I might try the CoQ10, Ac L_Cartinine, etc but maybe not the Ribose.

Bansaw

And a quote from Dr.Myhill
Two problems I sometimes see:

1. The fermenting gut. If there are bacteria or yeast in the upper gut then D-ribose may be fermented to produce alcohol and gas. In this event I suggest reducing the daily dose to 5 grams, holding it in the mouth as long as possible - some will be absorbed here. Space doses throughout the day.
  2. Corn sensitivity. D-ribose is derived from corn and some CFSs who are corn sensitive will react allergically to it. I do not know of a corn free preparation of D-ribose.
http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/D-ribose

SOC

What he's saying in the video is unremarkable in terms of the hypothalmus etc. My CFS doctor (a good one, Dr.Lapp in Charlotte, NC) said some of the same things.
It seems like just the D-Ribose seems contentious (seems to wire some people). I've not seen any comments on the Aceytl L-Carnitine yet.
My CFS doctor did recommend L-Serine which no-one seems to know about.
Dr Lapp knows about D-Ribose. I'd ask him if he thinks it's wise in your particular case. He probably understands your medical situation and complicating factors better than anyone here.

Critterina

I got it from here Critternia,
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-257-cfs-fm-patients.18329/page-2#post-491156
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-257-cfs-fm-patients.18329/page-2#post-491156
"Some people do not tolerate D-ribose. This may be because D-ribose is derived from corn and small amounts
of corn antigen remain to which one may react allergically. Some people with a candida problem (see YEAST
and CANDIDA) may convert D-ribose back to glucose so it is fermented by yeast thereby worsening the
yeast problem."

I just have to be really careful with sugars because I had a systemic bacerial infection called Endemic Typhus (a bit like Rocky Mountain rickettsia) and Candida, and I don't want to encourage them back with sugar after doing so well on a low sugar diet. I might try the CoQ10, Ac L_Cartinine, etc but maybe not the Ribose.

Thank you! From what I read a lot of people question that Teitelbaum study, but it makes sense, that if candida can add another carbon to ribose, that I may be able to make glucose. I remember from my "bacterial infectious diseases of humans" class hundreds of years ago, about people who got drunk from eating carbohydrates, and it was that candida infection doing the fermenting. Glad that you are doing well on low sugar.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Dr. Teitelbaum is a good hearted doctor with user friendly, easy to understand info about CFS and fibromyalgia. His books and supplements have helped me on my journey.

His most basic prorocol for CFS is taking his multivitamin-multimineral (Energy Revitalization System) and then d-ribose 2x a day. It definitely works and gives energy.

It is not as cutting edge as some of the methylation treatments in this forum...but his goal is more "one size fits most... and harms few."