• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Raising Blood Pressure

ttt

Does anyone know of a good way to raise blood pressure? I eat 1-1/2 Tbsp. of Himalayan crystal salt every day and drink about 20 cups of water, but my BP is still really low.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Licorice root can definitely raise your BP. That's due to the way that it helps your body hold on to cortisol, which can be beneficial to boost the adrenals if they are low. On the down side, it can also cause anxiety in some people, especially after long term usage.

My BP was chronically 90/50, sometimes even lower. After taking licorice for 4 years, it went all the way up to 125/80. At that point I began having anxiety a few hours after taking it, so I stopped for several months, and now take only a third of the dose a few times/week. My BP has been in the 105/65 range most of the time now, which is my ideal.

Licorice is a powerful herb, so you might consider consulting with a knowledgeable ND or TCM practitioner if you plan to try it.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
I've heard of propping the head of the bed up a couple inches. Something about tricking your body into retaining water. I noticed before the salt and bed I'd be thirsty alot, pissing clear, and drinking alot. Its slowed down the last few days so fingers crossed.

I've heard of propping the head of the bed up a couple inches. Something about tricking your body into retaining water. I noticed before the salt and bed I'd be thirsty alot, pissing clear, and drinking alot. Its slowed down the last few days so fingers crossed.
This can work very badly in at least some ME patients. Basically we already have trouble getting enough blood and oxygen to our brains, and just exacerbate the problem by not lying flat overnight.

The last few days I've been having bad abdominal pains and really weak. Went to the er last night' but nothing found. However, my lipase was low and looking through records its been low before.

JAM

Jill
Licorice root can definitely raise your BP. That's due to the way that it helps your body hold on to cortisol, which can be beneficial to boost the adrenals if they are low. On the down side, it can also cause anxiety in some people, especially after long term usage.

My BP was chronically 90/50, sometimes even lower. After taking licorice for 4 years, it went all the way up to 125/80. At that point I began having anxiety a few hours after taking it, so I stopped for several months, and now take only a third of the dose a few times/week. My BP has been in the 105/65 range most of the time now, which is my ideal.

Licorice is a powerful herb, so you might consider consulting with a knowledgeable ND or TCM practitioner if you plan to try it.
Licorice is great, but only for short periods of time, 6 weeks max, as it is very hard on the liver.