• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doxy needed asap

brenda

Hi

My 32 year old son tells me that he has a bullseye rash for 2 weeks. His GP might not give him antibx so where can he get doxy asap please? (UK).

Hi

My 32 year old son tells me that he has a bullseye rash for 2 weeks. His GP might not give him antibx so where can he get doxy asap please? (UK).
If his doctor won't give him antibiotics despite a bullseye rash, his doctor needs to be reported to the relevant authority for malpractice. Any doctor or hospital should be willing to prescribe a short course for that.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
If his GP wont give him it then I suggest going to A and E or an out of hours doctor at the weekend - I always find the out of hours more helpful.

I think the suggested dosage for Lyme is 200mg twice a day, but im not really sure of that at all. You can look at various protocols on the web which will tell you ideal dosages, or you could try asking on lymenet or eurolyme.

Hope he gets it sorted ASAP.

I would suggest what others have suggested -- suggest he go to another doctor, take a picture of the rash, and report the doctor who won't give him doxy because he's a moron if he doesn't know that the bullseye rash represents an actual skin infection with Lyme bacteria.

It even says on the NHS website that a bulls eye rash is diagnostic of Lyme disease and antibiotics should be given. I don't know what the NICE guidelines say but I bet it's the same.

brenda

The receptionists at A & E and Out of Hours say that it is a GP matter, and the first app. he could have is on Monday.

DeGenesis

If your son has acne doxycycline is frequently prescribed for that indication so he could go to a walk in and say I have acne and doxy worked before and I have a date coming up blah blah. But really it should be prescribed for the right indication so it is on record that he had a bite! Best of luck!

Edit: This is just something I have done before I am not recommending that you or your son do it.

Last edited:

brenda

He says the rash has nearly gone today using antiseptic cream. Can this happen with lyme?

brenda

Thanks everyone for your replies. It seems that there has been a local infection caused by an ingrowing hair.

brenda

The redness from the infection had surrounded the pus in a sort of bullseye pattern. It was only when inspected very closely that the error was spotted. I guess my own borreliosis caused a panic reaction in him.