• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antiviral drug ganciclovir is a potent inhibitor of microglial proliferation and neuroinflammation

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Aberrant microglial responses contribute to neuroinflammation in many neurodegenerative diseases, but no current therapies target pathogenic microglia. We discovered unexpectedly that the antiviral drug ganciclovir (GCV) inhibits the proliferation of microglia in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE), a mouse model for multiple sclerosis (MS), as well as in kainic acid–induced excitotoxicity. In EAE, GCV largely prevented infiltration of T lymphocytes into the central nervous system (CNS) and drastically reduced disease incidence and severity when delivered before the onset of disease. In contrast, GCV treatment had minimal effects on peripheral leukocyte distribution in EAE and did not inhibit generation of antibodies after immunization with ovalbumin. Additionally, a radiolabeled analogue of penciclovir, [18F]FHBG, which is similar in structure to GCV, was retained in areas of CNS inflammation in EAE, but not in naive control mice, consistent with the observed therapeutic effects. Our experiments suggest GCV may have beneficial effects in the CNS beyond its antiviral properties.

http://jem.rupress.org/content/211/2/189.abstract

Last edited:

heapsreal

I wonder how long it takes for this anti-inflammatory effect to work. Those with cfs/me who are responders to antivirals usually take months before noticing benefits. I wonder it not only working on lowering viral load but also in this manner of lowering inflammation.

Since i have finished continuous antivirals, i have done several short courses. Usually i get viral symptoms and weird types of headaches and cognitive problems. I usually give it a few days to see what happens but if things dont improve i then go back on antivirals for 2-4 weeks. What i have noticed is that within 3 days things seem to be back to normal, is this its anti inflammatory effects working?? This also didnt occur when i first started Antivirals several years ago either But only recently. I guess its also a possiblitiy that my viral load is low enough that if i pick up any reactivation early enough that antivirals will work quicker???

Is this microglial a part of the autoimmune issues in cfs/me????

heapsreal

@lansbergen yes, plus i just dont know if the anti inflammatory effects could also be seperate mechanism or not. The speed of improvement makes me think the anti-inflammatry effects may be seperate or atleast occur quicker then reducing viral load??

SOC

another nasty toxic drug for us to try.
Nah, same old "nasty toxic drug", not a new one. We know it as Valcyte.
I wonder how long it takes for this anti-inflammatory effect to work. Those with cfs/me who are responders to antivirals usually take months before noticing benefits. I wonder it not only working on lowering viral load but also in this manner of lowering inflammation.

Interesting question. Both times I've taken Valcyte, I've noticed a HUGE improvement in symptoms at the 6-7 month mark. It's so distinct, I've been wondering what could be happening consistently at 6 months -- not before, and not as much later. Maybe it's the anti-inflammatory effect kicking in.

lansbergen

@lansbergen yes, plus i just dont know if the anti inflammatory effects could also be seperate mechanism or not. The speed of improvement makes me think the anti-inflammatry effects may be seperate or atleast occur quicker then reducing viral load??

Have you searched for these meds lowering oxidative stress?

SOC

I'm just saying, nowhere does it say Valcyte
GanciclovirINN/ɡænˈsaɪkləvɪər/ or DHPG (9-(1,3-dihydroxy-2-propoxymethyl)guanine, alternative spelling: "Gancyclovir") is an antiviral medication used to treat cytomegalovirus (CMV) infections. Ganciclovir sodium is marketed under the trade names Cytovene and Cymevene (Roche). Ganciclovir for ocular use is marketed under the trade name Vitrasert (Bausch & Lomb). A prodrug form with improved oral bioavailability (valganciclovir) has also been developed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganciclovir

Valganciclovir is Valcyte. Valcyte is the trade name.

Daffodil

i guess this explains why valcyte helped a tiny bit a few years ago, when i was bedridden. i never really had high antibodies to the herpes viruses.