• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Grapefruit Seed Extract Herx?

Hello everyone,

I've never tested positive for Lyme but have only had tests through LabCorp and they always show just one band positive.

Ive been chronically ill as far as I can remember so I decided to try a Lyme treatment and see if its been hiding in me since my tick bite as a kid.

Well anyways, this week I started Grapefruit Seed Extract. Ive been completely filling "00" empty capsules with it and taking it 3 times a day.

Im taking it because I read it may break down biofilms.

Well, since Ive started it I have felt odd sensations all over. I have also been EXTREMELY itchy and more tired than normal.

My dandruff has gotten very bad and painful and this morning I woke up with itchy eyes and ears, and an itchy/sore throat.

Earlier in the week I broke out with eczema type of blotches on my legs. Very itchy, I scratched until I bled, but they went away.

Could this be a die off reaction or did I just coincidentally get some weird cold?

Im doing this in preparation for some Samento and Serrpetase I have coming in the mail.

Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@hugh_jass

I used to take grapefruit seed extract and thought it had good effects. Then I began hearing reports that it wasn't the extract itself that was working but a chemical used in the extraction process. I did a fair amount of research on it and became convinced that this was true and also the the chemical was harmful.

Here is one link from a health site but if you do a google search you will find some pretty convincing articles.

Sushi

Valentijn

A herxheimer reaction to Lyme die off would involve "fever, chills, rigor, hypotension, headache, tachycardia, hyperventilation, vasodilation with flushing, myalgia (muscle pain), exacerbation of skin lesions and anxiety."

My own experience has been that a fever is an extremely prominent and constant part of the reaction. Though my temp for a fever is "normal" for most people, as my normal temp is pretty low. But still, I felt like I was burning up, unbearably hot, and anyone touching me thought I felt very hot as well.

Thanks for the replies. I stopped taking the GSE. My Serrapetase and Samento will be here tomorrow. Thats good to know what the actual herx signs will be if I have any, @Valentijn . I experience almost all of those already except the fever. My normal temps are also pretty low. Usually high 96 or low 97 despite normal thyroid tests.

Valentijn

I experience almost all of those already except the fever. My normal temps are also pretty low. Usually high 96 or low 97 despite normal thyroid tests.
My normal is about 97F (36C) as well. But with a fever, in addition to feeling really hot to myself and others, my temp goes up to about 99F (37C). That's normal for normal people, but quite a bit higher than I've been in years. And it only happens when I'm feeling very feverish and generally rotten while on certain antibiotics.

rwac

Grapefruit Seed Extract suppresses certain detox enzymes (CYP3A4, just like grapefruit) in the liver. It might also raise estrogen, so be careful with it.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@hugh_jass
Be careful with Serrapeptase - an experienced poster on a Lyme forum said that it should only be taken with antibiotics (or herbals that target bacteria) as it only helps break down biofilm, doesn't kill the bacteria which is inside. This accounts for why I felt so ill when I took it on its own. I will try it again though now I understand this.

Dufresne

almost there...
I'm Igenix positive for borrelia by CDC criteria.

I've found GSE and Tinidazole, supposedly both cyst busters, produce the same unpleasant effect in me. It's the unmistakable feeling of mercury in my nervous system. I wake up in the middle of the night with the overwhelming feeling that I've to get up and move around, or I'll freak out. It's awful. Thankfully this symptom can be remedied with a dose of lipoid acid. That said I don't get typical borrelia herx symptoms from these antimicrobials.

Perhaps it's that GSE and Tinidazole break up biofilms as well, and it's this that's releasing mercury. However both are classified as cyst busters. Whatever is going on, I firmly believe they're making something happen that I don't experience with any other antibiotics.